1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Weasyl
    Judicant

Tagging and Tag Filtering!

Weasyl
    Demu
    Very, very nice. Could you elaborate on the "Standard" and "Public" tagging settings a bit more? I think I might have confused myself on what they mean. Does "Standard" mean that only the artist can add and remove tags?

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Weasyl
    Ben
    Standard means that regular users can add and remove tags, but they cannot alter the tags set by the artist originally. Public means all tags can be altered.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    This tagging system looks VERY nice, but I do have a concern. With users able to change the tags on a submission, I worry that some people won't take it seriously and add inappropriate tags (like adding something offensive as a tag). The artist could check the submission and see tags they don't approve of. Perhaps it could be that any user can simply suggest a tag, rather than add it, and it's sent to the artist for approval? Or am I misunderstanding this feature?

Either way, this is definitely a really good feature and makes Weasyl even more awesome!

Weasyl
    Demu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Standard means that regular users can add and remove tags, but they cannot alter the tags set by the artist originally. Public means all tags can be altered.
    OKAY thank you. I hope this tagging system encourages people to tag more properly! I bet there are a lot of great artists I've missed out on because they either did not tag their work or their tags were inadequate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    This tagging system looks VERY nice, but I do have a concern. With users able to change the tags on a submission, I worry that some people won't take it seriously and add inappropriate tags (like adding something offensive as a tag). The artist could check the submission and see tags they don't approve of. Perhaps it could be that any user can simply suggest a tag, rather than add it, and it's sent to the artist for approval? Or am I misunderstanding this feature?

Either way, this is definitely a really good feature and makes Weasyl even more awesome!
    I believe that there will be mods making sure that people are kept in line. If people tag offensively then their tagging privileges will be revoked. (: At least that's the impression I've gotten.~
    Last edited by Demu; 08-23-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post

I believe that there will be mods making sure that people are kept in line. If people tag offensively then their tagging privileges will be revoked. (: At least that's the impression I've gotten.~
    Oh, definitely. I'm thinking it's probably a responsibility of a Ferret to, well, ferret out inappropriate tags. But the Ferrets/mods can't check every picture for tags; there's the possibility that some unwanted tags can "slip through the cracks", so to speak. At least with an artist approval, there won't be any surprise tags.

And when it comes to user tagging privileges, it might help to be able track which user adds which tag to appropriately revoke privileges when due.

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7

Quote Originally Posted by Demu View Post
    Very, very nice. Could you elaborate on the "Standard" and "Public" tagging settings a bit more? I think I might have confused myself on what they mean. Does "Standard" mean that only the artist can add and remove tags?
    Certainly!

Standard tagging makes it possible for the artist to add tags that other users can then not modify (although users can still add tags that the artist may have forgotten). This will be the default setting on all accounts. Using this setting will give the artist a greater level of control over the tags that are applied to their content, while still allowing other users to help make the tag set as accurate and descriptive as possible.

Public tagging allows users to modify all of the tags associated with a submission, even those added by the artist. This option is for artists who wish to be more open with their content's tags, thus allowing viewers to edit any of them (although the users must still be signed in to do so; "public" as used here does not include someone without an account).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    And when it comes to user tagging privileges, it might help to be able track which user adds which tag to appropriately revoke privileges when due.
    This sort of logging was added when the tagging system was public-only, and fortunately we still have it for just this purpose!
    Last edited by Kihari; 08-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Kihari View Post

This sort of logging was added when the tagging system was public-only, and fortunately we still have it for just this purpose!
    Gotchya! Awesome to hear, you guys are on top of things!