Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I think your watercolor would look a bit nicer if you had used inks or something for the outlines rather than pen ink.

The watercolor is nice, but the pen kind of takes away from it. :|

Also if you don't want me dropping in and dopping bits of critique, let me know, I'll stop.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    inejwstine
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenith View Post
    I think your watercolor would look a bit nicer if you had used inks or something for the outlines rather than pen ink.

The watercolor is nice, but the pen kind of takes away from it. :|

Also if you don't want me dropping in and dopping bits of critique, let me know, I'll stop.
    Mmm, I dunno. I think the line just needs to be more crisp and clean. I've seen some very good watercolor pieces that outline in pen. Some great examples can be seen here: http://www.prophecyofthecircle.com/ It's a webcomic done entirely in pen and watercolors.

The comic you linked would also look much better if it used ink rather than a pen.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Maybe you could try a different kind of pen, i myself agree with lorenith but i also think it could look really nice done with deeper colors in another style

Weasyl
    Kaliaen

Man you're prolific!

Yeah I have tried watercolor with microns too, it always ends up looking the same as your elephant unless I do really thick lines, I always end up feeling really discontent with the look.

I guess if you want some style examples, you could look up Japanese brush work and watercolor, if I can find this old ink brushing technique book someone got me I can take some pictures from it to show you too if you like?

I was going to say chinese water colour but japanese works just as well, I find this type of outline much better for the style you currently use

http://www.icollector.com/Chinese-Wa...iger_i12929780

the outline is there but it doesn't draw attention, its part of the picture as a whole and blends well, if you want to use such a solid outline I think deeper, more saturated colours like you see in anime

Weasyl
    N/A

Weasyl
    Kaliaen

Have you ever stretched your paper Kaliaen? That's what we did with our 140 lb stuff in class. We got the choice to use 300 lb but I personally didn't like it so I stuck to stretching, even though it was more time consuming.

(some 300lb paper is also double sided, so really good for practicing even for people who don't really like it much)