Tumblr Customization

I'm trying to use Tumblr in addition to blogger to post things.

I am running into issues with customizing it, however. It's code is just driving me nuts - not user friendly in any way! Do those of you who use it just buy premade templates?

I just want a left column with the twitter, blog info, etc. there, and my actual postings in the center. I got that stuff aligned the way I want but the blog posts are just too close to that column. I figured out some things with it, but my goodness is this frustrating. I'm not a professional coder but I know enough to do be able to make basic edits (I'm able to mess with cafepress things just fine, but they break their code down in a userfriendly fashion to begin with).

And are there any nice addons or something to help with this? I really don't want to be stuck with using only premade things, or have to spend money to have someone do it for me. ._.

This is the test blog whatevers for testing the coding I mess with: http://insanestblog.tumblr.com/ Totally forgot to put the 't' in 'test' but hey, it'll eventually be back to password protected or deleted XD

EDIT: If you go to the blog now and see nothing, it's because I'm literally starting from scratch on this to learn what's what. I deleted the CSS code :X
    Last edited by insanejoker; 03-05-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I just use Effector, because Tumblr's themes are a clusterfuck.

Custom CSS doesn't seem to work like 99% of the time with anything, though.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I just use Effector, because Tumblr's themes are a clusterfuck.

Custom CSS doesn't seem to work like 99% of the time with anything, though.
    I use custom CSS with other sites and it works just fine - tumblr's however is just. what. I"ll look into Effector - I just wish I had more control over the look of my tumblr ;-;

Weasyl
    N/A
    Yeah, sadly I also couldn't figure out my way around tumblrs code, so I just edited someones premade one a tad (left credits on still, of course). There's a lot of really good premade themes though which let you switch up the colour, placement & have music & your own bg on it, you can just try searching the tag or check out this master post (ctrl f "tumblr" or just scroll down a bit to where it shows tumblrs section)

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    Yeah, sadly I also couldn't figure out my way around tumblrs code, so I just edited someones premade one a tad (left credits on still, of course). There's a lot of really good premade themes though which let you switch up the colour, placement & have music & your own bg on it, you can just try searching the tag or check out this master post (ctrl f "tumblr" or just scroll down a bit to where it shows tumblrs section)
    Thank you! I searched the free themes and nothing really stood out to me in terms of layout and such XD I'll look at tumblr's code stuff again, though. Worst case scenario I have to sit down and just build it from the bottom up to learn it via trial and error.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    Tumbr's layout is a total fuckcluster anyway... have you heard of "Simple Things"? It's a pretty simple theme, with easy customization. There's a few premade themes that are built specifically for Twitter and WordPress (can'tthinkoftheword)usage, but I forgot the names

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming View Post
    Tumbr's layout is a total fuckcluster anyway... have you heard of "Simple Things"? It's a pretty simple theme, with easy customization. There's a few premade themes that are built specifically for Twitter and WordPress (can'tthinkoftheword)usage, but I forgot the names
    I have not! I'll look into it. Thank you

In the meantime I've managed to figure out the basics of what is changing what in tumblr through simple trial and error and have come across some favorable results...but yea, I agree. It's a giant clusterfuck.

Weasyl
    Naruto Uzumaki
    The easiest way of going about it is to completely ignore the offered ones, and look for ones users have made. They tend to be better by far regardless, and you don't have to worry about paying. You can find pretty much whatever you want that way as well.

Theme-hunter has the best collection of them I've found. I think they also have some coding tutorials hanging around that could prove useful.

Hope this helps some!

Weasyl
    Ley
    I can help. I mess with Artist-Confessions' code all the time for site updates.

Naruto Uzumaki: Thanks for that link! I am so looking at the base codes right now XD I am making my own and so far so good...but this might speed things along.

Ley: Ahh I wouldn't want to like, totally burden you or anything XD I don't have a set layout in mind yet - I just wanted to be able to be like 'ok, so if I decide to change this sidebar to the otherside, i can do it!' But once I do, I would love to have some help / someone else to help proof the code I'm making.

EDIT: This is what I've messed with so far: http://insanestblog.tumblr.com/
    I'm looking into making the left sidebar move with the scrolling.
    Last edited by insanejoker; 03-10-2014 at 11:07 PM.