Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nostalgic musicians?

Anyone else here into retro music, preferably something other than chiptune?

My own niche is reminiscent of the '80s and early '90s synthpop, as an example. Even most of my music equipment is meant to recreate vintage synthesizers and samples.

Anyone else have this sense of nostalgia?

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I aim to do Late Italo/ Early Eurobeat (1987...1992 are the best years) but newer quite succeed, I always end up with something that is very "me" haha. It is not a thing of nostalgia to me though, I pretty much only listen that stuff.
    All my music is synthesized, except drums (which are samples of real stuff). Most of my music gear is Yamaha based.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I love 1920's-40's swing, and also the electroswing genre that draws heavily from it. I guess you could say all of my music is pretty "retro", since most of it is thirty or forty years old at least x3
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Nice! Great to see I'm not the only one, then. XD.

And Tiido, I fully agree with you in terms of electronic music. Personally, I use a wide range of brands, though, and while I don't have any Yamaha gear, I do have NI's FM8, which is based on the classic Yamaha DX7.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    By gear I mean actual hardware, which are various Yamaha sound cards and sound chips. Eventually I'll start using my own synthesizer more or less exclusively, but I have yet to build it. It looks really cool on paper ^^
    I am enjoying fair bit of your music

Yeah, I suppose I should've anticipated you to be referring to hardware, though I do have some of that as well, even if '90s rackmounts.

Thanks for that!

alan parsons project and third eye blind are really big ones for me.

and loveable cheesy 80's and 90's synth is simply the best

Weasyl
    Greg Striata
    I've always loved the big beat groups that got me into electronic music. The first stuff I listened to on my own without finding it through other people (e.g being reccommended) was stuff like groove armada, fatboy slim, the prodigy and the chemical brothers.

I've always loved Kylie Minogue and my family hates this. To death.

Weasyl
    BlackStatic
    Seems like I'm not the only yamaha/moog/casio synthpop fan around here then. I fully intend to collect them and start a vintage recording studio. Also totally with Greg on the Big Beat stuff, love me some old Prodigy.

You wouldn't think a breakbeat, synthpop, acid trance and makina fan (80s-90s electronic genres) would be into medieval celtic and pagan folk songs but alas, I must confess.

...that nostalgic enough for ya?
    Last edited by BlackStatic; 03-16-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Yep, that's nostalgic, alright. XD