Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avatar Thread (The cartoon, not the movie :P)

I just finished streaming the entire ATLA series for some friends and we're going to start Korra soon so I figured since I'm in that kind of mood, I'd start a thread about the series, which is honestly my favorite series on TV at the moment. (Still not worth reactivating cable over though. )

So, apparently the new season of Korra starts in April, The Promise is still in production, and the creators are still trolling the fanbase with Tumblr updates.

Any thoughts?
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

I'm still curious just how Korra is gonna segway into a second season. XD But I'll hold off on talking about that.

As a whole, I like the whole series. It's a lot of fun to watch, the world is gorgeous and interesting, and the characters are so much fun. At the moment, I feel TLA is the better of the two, simply because I enjoyed how much more carefree it was than Korra (despite still being able to have its serious points and drama). I'm still kinda curious to see if they reference any more of the old show when book two starts up, though. XD

I don't have any idea where this is going, probably just rambling at this point. Gotta start getting ready for work.

I actually prefer Korra's more serious tone. TLA had a good direction and it's still one of my favorite shows but some of the silliness had a habit of ruining what might have been a dramatic moment and it took my friend and I completely out of the experience when I streamed it. I would definitely say that TLA is for a younger audience than Korra though, Korra seems to cover more mature topics and thus appeal to an older crowd.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Persoanlly, I love both series. However Korra really stood out as a more deep and adult story. Book two is said to be focusing more on the relationships in the group, which I welcome.

I can't wait for it to air. S'one of the most well drawn cartoons out there.

Weasyl
    zenia
    I love Avatar and its world. I also love how they made Korra more serious... as the people that grew up on Avatar were older and it didn't talk down to them.

Weasyl
    TheStory
    The original series was superior story wise. Even just superior in general. There were strong character archs and I could understand all the main characters and where they were coming from. I could literally dissect their personalities, histories, and how they developed and changed through the series. They were consistent. They made sense and I gave a rats ass about them. Their story was more involved and fleshed out. They faced real lasting challenges that took the entire length of the show to overcome. Their obstacles were more dire and effected them more deeply.
    TLA is my favorite TV cartoon series to date.

Korra so far has been...a disappointment. Though well animated and containing some promising themes they didn't go anywhere with them. There were too many characters with hardly any development or real inner struggles to stand out. That includes the main character. Most of the problems, and especially the climax was dues ex machina. Most of the interesting points were shown in exposition in a flash back last minute. That is all poor storytelling. No matter how pretty, random action sequences and poorly written drama shoved in my face doesn't keep my interest.
    Don't get me wrong the show is still good in comparison to many of our animated series in the US, but really a hollow let down in comparison to its predecessor.

I could go on about both of these but I'd rather leave you with this mini rant.

To be fair, Korra was supposed to be 12 episodes long only, they got the greenlight to make more when they were animating the final episode in Korea. Now they have three seasons to make a show, so it might improve when they have actual time to tell a story.

Weasyl
    shane
    Avatar is one of my favorite American cartoons and I wish there were more like it made here, in terms of arcs and storytelling. I also have to say that Avatar was, in my opinion, more deep and had more of an adult story than The Legend of Korra. I think the reason people say that about Korra is because the characters themselves were older and romance was shoved in our faces, which I guess people see as more mature and "adult".
    sometimes I wish for falling
    wish for the release
    wish for falling through the air
    to give me some relief

because falling's not the problem;
    when i'm falling, i'm in peace.
    it's only when i hit the ground
    it causes all the grief

Weasyl
    TheStory
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    To be fair, Korra was supposed to be 12 episodes long only, they got the greenlight to make more when they were animating the final episode in Korea. Now they have three seasons to make a show, so it might improve when they have actual time to tell a story.
    This is true and I am well aware, but I have seen tighter story lines in less episodes in other series. A film is only 1.5-2.5 hours long normally and can tell a neat story. I know TV series and movies are different beasts but it is still possible. Also even if they didn't know it was going to be greenlit they should have kept the integrity of their original story/plan. If it got canceled halfway through its better to be sad something great and intriguing didn't get finished then get a mediocre story line.
    That still doesn't excuse the bad storytelling and dues ex machina solutions for our character at every turn. They had enough time to make a decent story no matter if it was short and simple and establish some development for the characters. They simply didn't. I felt like they traded that in for not thought out drama and fan service.
    Besides they have released a comic series in the past. They could have finished the story there as a backup plan.

If you enjoy it that is fine and dandy and I'm glad you did. However I can't agree that Korra is better than the Original.

I've only heard so can't promise, but some of the writer from the first series may be coming back on board. I am still going to watch what they do and hope they give some development to these characters in a neater tighter story arch.

I've been a fan of Avatar since the very first day the first episode aired. I grew up with the show and characters, and it was so bittersweet seeing the older Gaang in Korra, and I can't wait for season 2!

I have to agree with Thestory though. One of the things that peeved me the most is the fact that Korra just cannot handle filler episodes like episode 5 uggghhh. I really wish they focused more on the plot and story and character development than the love triangle-hectagon-circles. Bolin was such a disappointment at the end of the show - I really hope his character's fleshed out more in the upcoming seasons.

P.S. FIRE IS BEST ELEMENT. cough.