Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    circusmnstr

Making brushes vs downloading brushes?

This is probably a weird topic to post about. I've made a few of my own brushes in Manga Studio 5 EX, and I'm quite happy with them, but I'm considering downloading a professional set just to mess around with too.

I guess my question is, is it considered lazy or something to download someone else's brush set vs making your own?

Half of it is I want to try these really nice natural brushes, made from natural materials that I don't have access to, and the other half is I want to look at the settings used and learn from them. I still feel like I'm cheating or something, though. Thoughts?

In the same way it's lazy to buy paint by the tube instead of grinding pigments yourself. It's nice that you want to learn how, but there's nothing wrong with using premade tools.

Weasyl
    circusmnstr
    Funny, some friends of mine used almost the exact same analogy. I see your point!

I can't really explain why I'm so nervous about the idea. Maybe it's cause the artists I admired growing up all had a very personal set of brushes. Really dumb of me tho.

Personally, I have a few custom brushes I like to use, but most of the time I use the brushes that came with Photoshop. Just training your eye and learning how to actualy look at objects in an analytical fashion will serve you better than worrying about obtaining the magic art tool at this point.

Weasyl
    circusmnstr
    I wasn't looking for a "magical art tool" to make me a better artist or something, if I gave off that vibe. I'm not a rookie; I've been drawing all my life and I know the ropes. I just want some brushes that look and act more like actual paints, and I'm still slightly new to Manga Studio's brush settings. This was a weird nonsensical moral dilemma more than anything.

I always made my own brushes in SAI, but there was less to work with so it was easier. My brushes in Manga Studio so far have been slight variations on the default brushes, with my own tip shapes and some textures and that's it.

Weasyl
    circusmnstr
    No don't fuck SAI, SAI is great. You can make some really great brushes in it, if you know how.
    It's really dumb that people have looked down on you for that, though.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I use brushes that I have both seen / downloaded, and made myself, for Sai.

I don't see what the issue is, in using brushes other people have made.
    I mean, they're just tools. You still have to draw the shit, yourself. A brush isn't going to magically manifest a picture for you, if you don't know what you're doing.

Like the above example about crushing pigments, I feel it's more akin to bristling your own paintbrushes.
    Like, you're probably not creating your own pencils from scratch, either, so who cares?
    Last edited by Vae; 11-28-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    N/A
    I'm more of less in between, meaning I'm lazy with a side of wanting to have something 'my own' that I'll use. I'll dl brushes and test out them and whichever ones I like I'll either modify so they're better (for me), or stick with 'em the way they are. :3 Honestly though, if you're comfortable with the brush be it your own or someone elses, that's all that matters in the end.

Weasyl
    hareteeth
    I suppose i find it more weird to actually buy the settings than to use someone else's brush settings.
    Most sellers at least have a decent amount of brushes that are fairly specific (and the good ones, really nicely set and customized), but i guess there's that "I could probably make this if I just sat down and figured this out...." feeling.

[preemptive to a string of moralistic comments about how you're paying for the brushmaker's time so you don't have to spend it, how dare you suggest that they freely give out their modifications, etc, rabbit hole.]

But I think, yeah, no one should really care all that much about what your brush presets are, outside of wanting to get theirs to do the same effects! I bet it's some internet-art-culture osmosis, like how I feel this need to tell people how long I spent on a piece and that, really, it's "better" if I can brag about bangin' out image after image in a short time span. Just some weird thing that enough people do or brag about when everyone's youngish in the internet art "scene" that sticks with you even when you know better.
    apathetic.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I use both. However, a lot of custom brushes are made by people with a different stroke methodology than I use. This is why your mileage may vary when using custom brushes. You may do brushstrokes differently than the person who created them.

Other than that, it really doesn't matter if you're using other people's brushes so much. But people should not confuse "stamps" with brushes. There are people that use graphics they don't own or no right to distribute to create a stamp which can cause problems. I guess one way to look at it is you can probably get in trouble if your artwork is using stamps of a famous logo like the Nike swoosh in an obvious way. So the same goes for using stamps of other people's property.

I hope I'm making sense because people will create these stamps and call them "brushes". Abstractions won't get you in as much trouble because they're not as recognizable.