Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Salmy

Things that still need to be fixed or improved on Weasyl

And that don't take so much work (IMHO!)

I hadn't been using weasyl for almost a year, since I didn't have much activity at all here AND didn't really find time for it. Now that I do, I began cleaning up my old FA, IB, DA, and now Weasyl submissions, and after all this time I've see some improvements, and I thank the devs and the team for it. However, as a long-time art galleries user, I still think there's room for improvement that would make the site lots more friendly. Your users would be lots happier and, best of all, many of these changes and improvements shouldn't take more than a few hours to implement to an average coder:

1 - Notifications all together and not paged: As I usually do, I went first to the notifications page, but didn't remember they were all together. Since the icons on the top show comments, watches, favs and journals separated, I assumed they were all different pages, so I clicked on journals first. First issue is that they were all in the same page instead of different ones, and in tiny and very straight and together lines, so it's really hard to follow them. So after going to all of them, I clicked on 'select all' and 'remove selected' without knowing I had also selected the comments, watches and favs. I knew after the icons dissapeared, so I missed all of those notifications. This was not nice, at all. I know it was my fault and that I shouldn't have assumed this works in a different way than other pages, but from the end-user point of view, if you go to an individual link that says 'journals', don't include the rest of the stuff that is not journals when I say 'select all', please!

2 - Inability to sort by ascending date, go to the last page or get to the previous one when cleaning a page if there's not a next: I don't like seeing the 'last art' as much as I prefer seeing the art I haven't seen yet in chronological order. Art sometimes is done in progression, like... an artist posts this one day and then they post the continuation the next day, or the next week. I prefer to see the first post than the last. It takes only a 'sort by date asc' button to fix it, like FA or DA has, or at least a paged navigation system when you can just jump to 'last page', like IB or DA has. This actually require more programming, but the first option shouldn't require more than a couple of hours (at most) to implement.

3 - Thumbnails are still tiny: Thanks a LOT for finally removing the hover feature that wouldn't let you see who made the submission and its title unless you passed the mouse over the thumbnail. That was a great fix, but please, we're in 2014, with big-ass screens, let us see bigger thumbnails AND give us the ability to see a reduced version instead of a custom thumbnail if we want. It will save you LOTS of clicks and traffic that you shouldn't have to pay for and would save us a lot of time to browse for more stuff!

4 - Misc things I've seen pointed up: Don't necessarily think these are urgent for me, but I know for some people they are, so please, don't forget to:
    a) Give people the ability to remove shouts from their user page
    b) Make the download/full size links to go to a different page
    c) Make watching and favving in ajax so you won't have to make the server reload the page (and it looks better!)

Hope you find this little compilation of big issues with easy fixes useful! Best of luck

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmy View Post
    And that don't take so much work (IMHO!)
    adorable.

1 - Notifications all together and not paged: As I usually do, I went first to the notifications page, but didn't remember they were all together. Since the icons on the top show comments, watches, favs and journals separated, I assumed they were all different pages, so I clicked on journals first. First issue is that they were all in the same page instead of different ones, and in tiny and very straight and together lines, so it's really hard to follow them. So after going to all of them, I clicked on 'select all' and 'remove selected' without knowing I had also selected the comments, watches and favs. I knew after the icons dissapeared, so I missed all of those notifications. This was not nice, at all. I know it was my fault and that I shouldn't have assumed this works in a different way than other pages, but from the end-user point of view, if you go to an individual link that says 'journals', don't include the rest of the stuff that is not journals when I say 'select all', please!
    it used to be on separate pages, and way more people complained about that.
    also, https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/171

2 - Inability to sort by ascending date, go to the last page or get to the previous one when cleaning a page if there's not a next: I don't like seeing the 'last art' as much as I prefer seeing the art I haven't seen yet in chronological order. Art sometimes is done in progression, like... an artist posts this one day and then they post the continuation the next day, or the next week. I prefer to see the first post than the last. It takes only a 'sort by date asc' button to fix it, like FA or DA has, or at least a paged navigation system when you can just jump to 'last page', like IB or DA has. This actually require more programming, but the first option shouldn't require more than a couple of hours (at most) to implement.
    https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/345

3 - Thumbnails are still tiny: Thanks a LOT for finally removing the hover feature that wouldn't let you see who made the submission and its title unless you passed the mouse over the thumbnail. That was a great fix, but please, we're in 2014, with big-ass screens, let us see bigger thumbnails AND give us the ability to see a reduced version instead of a custom thumbnail if we want. It will save you LOTS of clicks and traffic that you shouldn't have to pay for and would save us a lot of time to browse for more stuff!
    there's already a thread about this.

a) Give people the ability to remove shouts from their user page
    already done

b) Make the download/full size links to go to a different page
    what?

c) Make watching and favving in ajax so you won't have to make the server reload the page (and it looks better!)
    maybe.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Just want to say that I love how those single word flings create an atmosphere of professionalism and show that the staff is reacting in an open and welcoming way towards community suggestions and worries. And the best part is that they're not in any way condescending at all.

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by xarg View Post
    Just want to say that I love how those single word flings create an atmosphere of professionalism and show that the staff is reacting in an open and welcoming way towards community suggestions and worries. And the best part is that they're not in any way condescending at all.
    good to see you again, xarg.

- - - Updated - - -

also, here's as good a place as any to mention that weasyl is always looking for more people to help out with coding.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Hey Weykent,
    I was looking around in the Redmine last night for an issue about being able to block people from adding tags to your image. In a comment there, there was a link (supposedly) to an update/ticket for that suggestion, however it leads nowhere:
    https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/31

It somewhere else and I'm just not seeing it?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Hey Weykent,
    I was looking around in the Redmine last night for an issue about being able to block people from adding tags to your image. In a comment there, there was a link (supposedly) to an update/ticket for that suggestion, however it leads nowhere:
    https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/31

It somewhere else and I'm just not seeing it?

Thanks
    all of the links in that issue seem to lead to other issues for me? what link in particular 'leads nowhere'?

I just opened an issue for that, though: https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/357

Weasyl
    Salmy
    So the TL;DR is that everything I said is dismissed with monosyllabes, responses as 'adorable' and links to other issues?

OK, thought the dev team and the staff here were way more open and nice, but now I feel dumb for wasting a moment of my life trying to help xD Ah well, good luck, anyway!

Yeah weykent could definitely have done better responding to your concerns. Sorry it gave you a bad impression of the site, it really is normally very nice

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    all of the links in that issue seem to lead to other issues for me? what link in particular 'leads nowhere'?

I just opened an issue for that, though: https://redmine.weasyl.com/issues/357
    I can't see the issue I linked at all, it asks me to sign in. I got the link to issue #31 from another issue (which unfortunately, I can't seem to find at the moment).
    Anyways, thank you for the new ticket :D

10.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmy View Post
    So the TL;DR is that everything I said is dismissed with monosyllabes, responses as 'adorable' and links to other issues?

OK, thought the dev team and the staff here were way more open and nice, but now I feel dumb for wasting a moment of my life trying to help xD Ah well, good luck, anyway!
    Hi Salmy,

I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about our staff, but let me try and offer some perspective on this situation. Your suggestions were not dismissed. We have a small development team that has been working hard since Weasyl's birth, and often we get suggestions that have been mentioned many, many times as if they're brand new. We appreciate all the suggestions, but it doesn't come off as terribly helpful when you frame these suggestions as "easy fixes" or not "taking so much work", as the development team has their own process and way of doing things. We have a lot going on under the hood, and we're not even out of Beta yet! These guys are doing a great job keeping the site running smoothly and responding to user suggestions, but these things take time.

Weykent just happens to be a person of few words. As he pointed out in a following post, if you have insight to coding and have some time, maybe you could consider becoming part of the team to help push along these suggestions?