Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Fliposaurus

How to work toward taking commissions?

Hello,
    I have been giving away free art & trades for over a year now & I would like to work toward taking furry art commissions.
    How did you do it?
    What sub-divisions of art do you like to see? If you sell art what sort of art do you sell a lot of?
    Thank you for your time.
    Flippy

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    You should work longer on it. A "year" doesn't equate to hours of time spent practicing and working on art.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ur-commissions

Weasyl
    willy
    I'd practice more before you try doing commissions tbh. Not so much because the amount of time spent drawing isn't enough but because the quality just isn't there yet.

Weasyl
    Fliposaurus
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    You should work longer on it. A "year" doesn't equate to hours of time spent practicing and working on art.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ur-commissions
    Oh yep I plan to working on it longer. I have been working on art for years now just specifically furry art for a year. I really started work in the arts in 2003 taking summer workshop courses at the local community collage & even before that art classes in high school. In 2004 I started work in university & took art classes. In 2005 I began working on getting my interdisciplinary art major degree under an art theory track & have been taking numerous art classes over the years at a community college.

Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I'd practice more before you try doing commissions tbh. Not so much because the amount of time spent drawing isn't enough but because the quality just isn't there yet.

Practice on what?
    Last edited by Flippy; 02-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Getting to a point where you can take commissions reasonably is a lot of hard work. There are a lot of us who have been drawing for years and years and years to hone our skills. There are people, like me, who have pretty decent skills had only see commissions a couple times a year.

What to practice, I would recommend, is anatomy. Study and draw from life. Learn how to draw in perspective, just, study. And draw a LOT, theres no equation for success in the art world. It jsut comes down to hard work and constant practice.

Drawing free things does not equate commissioners or skill. Its a nice gesture, theres nothing wrong with it, but what I would focus on is building up your skills.
    Weasyl | DeviantART | Tumblr
    Always open for commission!

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Well The link I posted, I left a longer response which applies to about every artist asking when they should take in commissions.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ll=1#post25006

Specifically, it is post #7.

I think people get the wrong idea when I tell them to hold off and work more on art because they mix it up with "Quit" It isn't so much as quit but the more you look like you need to work on commissions, the opposite happens. The more productive you look with art and more followers with money to spend - especially if your art is different than the many others who are open for commission - you're more likely to get a commission.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-23-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Weasyl
    Fliposaurus
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMeeper View Post
    Getting to a point where you can take commissions reasonably is a lot of hard work. There are a lot of us who have been drawing for years and years and years to hone our skills. There are people, like me, who have pretty decent skills had only see commissions a couple times a year.

What to practice, I would recommend, is anatomy. Study and draw from life. Learn how to draw in perspective, just, study. And draw a LOT, theres no equation for success in the art world. It jsut comes down to hard work and constant practice.

Drawing free things does not equate commissioners or skill. Its a nice gesture, theres nothing wrong with it, but what I would focus on is building up your skills.
    Ah ok that helps a lot. I have taken to a liking of drawing freebies & trades because I like doodling but I random doodling has lost a lot of purpous. If I'm doodling for a freebie or a trade it gives me a chance to have fun with art while giving somone something they want. A win - win. I guess I should think more about long term winning.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Well The link I posted, I left a longer response which applies to about every artist asking when they should take in commissions.

https://forums.weasyl.com/vbulletin/...ll=1#post25006

Specifically, it is post $7.

I think people get the wrong idea when I tell them to hold off and work more on art because they mix it up with "Quit" It isn't so much as quit but the more you look like you need to work on commissions, the opposite happens. The more productive you look with art and more followers with money to spend - especially if your art is different than the many others who are open for commission - you're more likely to get a commission.
    Hmm, that gives me a lot to think about. Thanks again for the help.
    P.S. I still use that site you linked on the FA forums over a year ago. It's very handy. http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I am glad it helps you out. There's also sketchbook threads here, so posting your progress is a good support to keep you motivated. :3

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Draw fetish art, you'll be rich.

Weasyl
    Fliposaurus
    Quote Originally Posted by Infestissumam View Post
    Draw fetish art, you'll be rich.
    LOL yeahhh I have heard fetish stuff does make a buck. I haven't decided weather or not I'm comfy drawing the naughty stuff yet. It's something I've been joggling with for awhile. Thanks.