Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much do you price your art vs. how much do you want to price your art?

I'm wondering how many people are like me, and price their commissions at a lot less then they'd really like to.

As an example, I offer digitally drawn headshot commissions with flat colours for $5, when I think what I'd like to price them at is $20, or maybe even more. When asking what I should price my commissions at, a lot of people responded with the idea that you should at least make it so you minimum wage for your time, so even $20 is being generous when considering that (at least it is here, I'm not sure about overseas but in Australia the minimum wage is $16.37).

So if you are like me, why do you price your artwork cheaper than you'd like to?

For me, it's partly because I see more talented artists pricing their artwork very cheaply, so I think, why would somebody spend $20 to get a headshot from me when they could get one that is much better for $35 or something like that from someone else? Maybe that's just not having enough confidence in my art, but you see what I mean. In general, people undersell themselves on DeviantART so it makes it tough to compete. And while I thought I had more reasons, I can't think of any now. Now I'm beginning to question if I'm just being stupid.

And one last question, even with pricing your commissions at cheaper than you'd like, do you ever still get comments saying they're too expensive?

I know for me, comments saying my commissions are too expensive annoy me a lot, since I've made mine cheaper than I think they should be, and it makes me question if I'm just being arrogant about how much my art is really worth.

What do you think?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Rarely do I see artists charge what they should be. I only know of like...two or three that are pretty decently priced. Not too little but when they charge $100s, it's like fucking high quality that WOULD be on par for professionals. So when people say "That's too expensive" for like $20 colored stuff, yeah I get pretty annoyed. It's like, just because you can't afford it doesn't mean it's too expensive.

Also holy shit, the minimum wage here is like $7.67 >.>
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    I used to do that but felt really like i was just giving my stuff away at 5-10 dollars.
    I raised my prices this year to what I feel I am worth, 25.00 for a BW Single Character Sketch and going up from there depending on what they want.
    It takes me a good deal of time to do my stuff so I feel the price is fair for how much I have to work on it, especially if asked to fix or redo things.
    I will totally redo stuff but takes me longer, and I always want my buyers happy with what i finally give them.

I also tend to do original art concepts rather than preposes or such, It makes it way more personal for the buyers.
    So I would say, depending on where your speed is at kinda dictates your prices, like some artists can draw something in 10mins or so on a stream.
    They usually price them at 10-20 from what I have seen, but it takes them little time to do it, so selling multiple at a lower price makes sense.
    Another thing is quick turnaround, people don't like waiting weeks with no info or no response, I try and do it as soon as I receive payment.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio

@Aleu: Yeah, I see what you mean. I generally think artwork for personal use that's under $50 is reasonable (most of the time) and seeing comments on them (not even on my commission sheets but on other people's too) saying they're too expensive annoy me greatly. Stuff in the $100s is probably professional-level stuff that's allowed for commercial use so I can understand that.

@Charrio: That makes sense to me. I've never done prepose stuff myself, simply because I need to have an idea of what the character looks like and what their personality is before I draw a good pose for them, drawing a blank base is difficult for me.
    I try to do art as soon as I can as well, I've had two commissioners tell me they were really surprised at how fast I got work done. It didn't really occur to me that doing art quickly rather than taking weeks was really abnormal until they said something o.o
    Last edited by BoyfriendKisser; 02-25-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    The funny thing about art commissioning is that the amount of Watchers decide how expensive your pieces will be more than your skill. You have to price stuffs cheaper at first to get customers that will lure in more customers, then you can start being an overpricing piece of shit and no1willcurr.

I find it funny though that I purposefully overpriced my commission for now (like, almost twice what I really wanted) so that people wouldn't commission me (less cancer to my eyes. I am not really prepared yet) but no one ever bitched to me about it. Dunno if I should be happy or sad about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitzbach View Post
    The funny thing about art commissioning is that the amount of Watchers decide how expensive your pieces will be more than your skill. You have to price stuffs cheaper at first to get customers that will lure in more customers, then you can start being an overpricing piece of shit and no1willcurr.

I find it funny though that I purposefully overpriced my commission for now (like, almost twice what I really wanted) so that people wouldn't commission me (less cancer to my eyes. I am not really prepared yet) but no one ever bitched to me about it. Dunno if I should be happy or sad about that.
    I guess that makes sense, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to wait until I'm popular to be making good money ^^; It's disheartening waiting months for someone to commission you and when you do you only get $5. Overpricing your commissions to dissuade people with bad OCs doesn't sound like a bad idea though, maybe something I can think about if I get popular haha

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Hundreds for commercial work is extremely low.

Possibly for extremely small print or maybe indie, but a lot of the cost is for a lot of usage, removal of your name, ie work for hire and many do not pay out royalties
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-25-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Hundreds for commercial work is extremely low.

Possibly for extremely small print or maybe indie, but a lot of the cost is for a lot of usage, removal of your name, ie work for hire and many do not pay out royalties
    Ah okay, that makes sense. I was thinking >$500 but you're probably right about it still being low, I wouldn't really know.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I'll just leave this here since a lot of people were being taken advantage of for professional work. http://www.artpact.com/

But I tend to price myself accordingly. I do not take commissions often because I have to work on a regular job that pays fairly well so my time should be compensated I could get being paid elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I'll just leave this here since a lot of people were being taken advantage of for professional work. http://www.artpact.com/

But I tend to price myself accordingly. I do not take commissions often because I have to work on a regular job that pays fairly well so my time should be compensated I could get being paid elsewhere.
    Okay thank you for your opinions