Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Weasyl
    willy
    I don't get very many commissions (partly because I'm closed atm :B), so my prices are relatively low just because I don't get a lot of business. But I also price based on how much time I'd want to spend on the piece or how much detail would be added in. So like, my lineart stuff was relatively cheap compared to the full color and shading pieces.

And I think those are reasonable prices for someone who's just starting out but at the same time not selling myself too short.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I've never done commissions before, but I'd probably do something like...

$10 for lineart.
    $15 for flat with minimal shines (eyes, hair, shines on metallic shit and gems).
    $25 for multiple-tone hard shade.
    $40 for soft shade (just because soft shade is gigantic pain in my ass and takes like 6 hours).

Or I could just do Douchebag-style art for like $10 a pop, single character.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Tica
    I haven't really gotten a lot of commissions really, so it's not a major source of income for me.

I pay myself somehwere around $5/hr. I am exceptionally slow at art (...sloth...) and for my skill level I don't feel it's worth charging a proper wage yet. Most other artists can whip out good sketches in half the time I take, and I'm completely self-taught and still in need of further practice, imho.

I may raise my prices if I start actually getting regular commissiosn, tho'.

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    Of course I underprice. At 13 dollars for a fully coloured/shaded drawing with a background. That said, no one gives me commissions anyways.

Weasyl
    Bri Mercedes
    Depends on what I'm doing. My style allows me to work pretty fast, so I can charge $20 for a full body spot and still make sure I'm getting $10/hour. That doesn't include communication time or advertising time though, so I'm not really getting rich over here. I get maybe 1 commission a month, haha!

I'm ok with my own price range, but I could charge $100 and still not be able to quit my part time job if no one wants to commission me!
    Last edited by Bri Mercedes; 02-27-2014 at 02:45 PM.

I don't think I'm horribly underpriced, but it's definitely more on par with what most people charge, I think.

My sketches / lineart are done in stream only, for 5 bucks for one character. I let people color the lineart as well, so that is a fairly good deal.
    My colored pieces range from $10-$35 (10 being flats, 35 with full shading and celshading in between that). Obviously there are fees for extra characters and stuff XD

I try to use the programs I have to their fullest to ensure that I'm able to speed up my workflow without hindering the quality, which also helps me feel I'm not under charging, if that makes sense?

Weasyl
    kipkei
    Once I started to price my art for 4. I got customers..I've been told my art is too cheap and should be 10. But, unfortunately its all about popularity on PARTS of the DA community. First you need to get yourself out there then you can start upping the prices. Don't go super cheap. Put a price you'd be willing to spend on one of your oc's or if your buying adopts. People like cheap & good quality, im sure if you keep it up you will be at where you want.

I've seen ppl spend 20USD+ on a really bad & lazy sketch just because someone was popular.The rest of us who arnt will have to work more to get that far.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Considering how long my art takes me to make, I undercharge. As it is I get utterly shafted with basic avatars, which would get me $2.50-$3.33 hourly. I would like to charge more, but I don't have the kind of following for it. I've been told that I'm still too expensive even though I undercharge. If I break down prices I make under the US minimum wage for everything I'm commissioned for, which is pretty pitiful.

I really want to charge more, but I'm hardly ever commissioned so I'm afraid that if I do, I'll lose the little bit of commission interest I have.