Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    What? I thought we were talking about movie type casting not government
    It's all a big conspiracy to keep the black superhuman down.

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    What? I thought we were talking about movie type casting not government
    we were, but tangents happen? I think that's an appropriate response to the response to my response thar.

Anyhow.

Why does a reboot need to stay 100% faithful to the source material, and why do reboot characters need to be the same as the original characters? Someone needs to explain that to me.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I don't think there has ever been one that's been 100% faithful given that many of these comics are over 20-50 years old with convoluted history.

I do think people would just obviously prefer the superhero coming to life actually look like the character in question.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    we were, but tangents happen? I think that's an appropriate response to the response to my response thar.

Anyhow.

Why does a reboot need to stay 100% faithful to the source material, and why do reboot characters need to be the same as the original characters? Someone needs to explain that to me.
    I don't know about you but as someone who writes I'd be pretty fucking pissed if someone changed my character because "lol this attribute doesn't matter". To me, it matters because that's still part of them. There's a reason why they're like that in the first place and changing it to suit a quota of whatever in Hollywood just screams disrespect to the creator.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

It always
    Comes back
    To Big Gov
    Big Buzns
    Big Bruv
    Conspiracy
    these threads

- - - Updated - - -

No, actually the idea that all brown people are interchangeable is really harmful. But the original movie was cast in an era where they were still putting makeup on white people to make brown people, so casting an actual POC for a POC role was a step up. The 2nd movie came out in freakin' 2013.

Hollywood NOTOROUSLY discriminates against POC actors, so every single time a non-white character comes along and gets played by a white man that's a serious tragedy. For many reasons, not the least of which is non-white actors have so few roles to choose from in the first place, and the "unknowns" among them will have less chance to grab breakout roles and hit the big time.

EDIT @Aleu:

they sure as heck aren't doing it to appease me. I've sworn off all superhero ensemble movies with a single female smurfette character and have no desire to see this movie.
    I guess when you put it that way, I can kinda sympathize. It's just, I dunno, Montalban might've been "a step up" as a non-white actor, but he was also a step up as an actor. He got the role because he was the best guy auditioning for the role. It's like how pretty much every George Romero zombie movie either stars or co-stars a lot of non-white actors. They're really fucking good actors. Hollywood isn't especially institutionally racist compared to most other institutions in North America and is among those where a modicum of meritocracy exists. Basically Hubert Cumberbatch isn't any less credible as Khan than Eminem is as a rapper. And rappers aren't even. I mean Star Trek has had a black captain, a female captain, a French captain, all the aliens are played by people of all colors. The single most evil character in the franchise besides maybe the Borg being played by a British dude that's whiter than chalk can probably be taken as a comment on this era's more subtle, insidious breed of white supremacism as much as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    Well, no, the main reason that movie bombed was because it was a shit movie.
    I haven't even seen the thing and agree with you!

Weasyl
    Clove Darkwave
    I think any explanation you could come up with to answer those questions would serve just as well to serve as reasons to not change anything in the first place.

That's kind of like saying why do Mario and Luigi have to be ridiculous stereotypes? No real reason, that's just who the characters are and the time they are from creation-wise.

This doesn't need to be complicated.

Weasyl
    Tica
    notice I said "reboot" and not "adaptation"

reboot assumes there's already been an original adaptation.

if every freakin' reboot's the same, what's the point?

like all the people who got their knickers in a twist over Joan Watson on Elementary--freakin' out because JOHN WATSON IS A DUDE.... it's like, there's been ten million Sherlock adaptations, it's getting boring they're all the same, you've gotta shake it up a little, chill out.

Weasyl
    N/A
    like all the people who got their knickers in a twist over Joan Watson on Elementary--freakin' out because JOHN WATSON IS A DUDE.... it's like, there's been ten million Sherlock adaptations, it's getting boring they're all the same, you've gotta shake it up a little, chill out.
    I just cringed something fierce.

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafy View Post
    I just cringed something fierce.
    was it my run-on sentence?

it was my run-on sentence, wasn't it

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #60

Weasyl
    Fayv
    There's a point when it's not really even a reboot and is just a parasitic story that could not survive in its own right. Changing things is fine, even changing a lot of things, but if you're losing the original characters entirely then what is the point?

For instance, Sherlock is a reboot. The story is modern, it draws from the books enough that there are scenes that are almost directly from the pages, but it changes things enough. There's the minor changes like making him a smoker, or changing up the cases to make them more modern or just something to reference. There's gender bending here and there if you look.
    There's also major changes, like Irene not being married, Moriarty and Mycroft are waaaay more involved and so on.
    The idea however is the fundamentals are the same, the characters are fundamentally the same, the spirit of the story is the same.

House was a good example of going beyond a reboot. It's the characters, taking their qualities, but then making a story its own. Sherlock Holmes is a reference, but house can stand on its own as a story without having to piggy back on the fame of the other story.

Elementary is a parasitic reboot. Making Watson female in and of itself is not a problem, but doing it for the sake of digging at sexual tension basically cuts out the characterization as a whole. What was once a complex relationship of foils is reduced to a "will they, won't they" string.

Changing the story should still allow the story to stand on its own two feet. A reboot is only really a reboot if the spirit of the story is recognizable afterward. Otherwise, why bother? Why not just make it its own thing and cut ties all together, unless you are looking specifically to bank on the popularity of the original.