Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    I dunno, when I complained about it, most people came up to me trying to defend the decision. Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I seemed to be alone in my discomfort with the choice.

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    I dunno, when I complained about it, most people came up to me trying to defend the decision. Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but I seemed to be alone in my discomfort with the choice.
    i am on your side *let's hold hands around the fire*

I guess my corner of the internet is a very intersectional feminist one, so that explains it. :/ a lot of white Americans out there so seem to think that race issues are "over" in America even though there are still plenny of people who were frikkin alive during the whole Jim Crow thing and apparently still bitter about basic decency shit like desegregation

Weasyl
    willy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    i am on your side *let's hold hands around the fire*

I guess my corner of the internet is a very intersectional feminist one, so that explains it. :/ a lot of white Americans out there so seem to think that race issues are "over" in America even though there are still plenny of people who were frikkin alive during the whole Jim Crow thing and apparently still bitter about basic decency shit like desegregation
    I really couldn't care less about what some old white guy thinks tbh. Most people born in that era also frown upon the newer generation's style of dress and overall attitudes towards most things.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I guess on the flip side, if Jordan was cast for the role because he best portrayed the character than multitude of White actors who may have at least looked the part, then maybe they need to step up their game.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    At any point in the story of the Fantastic Four, is Johnny Storm required to be white? Is there a race episode?

Not really. Sometimes a character's race plays no actual part in the character's development at all, and in that case, race can become interchangeable in my opinion. Johnny Storm can be black because there is no storyline that requires him to be white.

Weasyl
    N/A
    At any point in the story of the Fantastic Four, is Johnny Storm required to be white? Is there a race episode?

Not really. Sometimes a character's race plays no actual part in the character's development at all, and in that case, race can become interchangeable in my opinion. Johnny Storm can be black because there is no storyline that requires him to be white.
    white people look better on fire

/thread

Weasyl
    N/A

Oh my goodness people.

"Also to bring a point about how a minor thing can majorly change how a character is portrayed, let's look at Ender's Game. Try to remember Bonso, the asshole leader of the Salamander Army. In the books, (if I remember right, it's been a while) he was a big guy and still an asshole. In the movie, he's a shrimp. He's probably around Ender's height if not shorter by a bit.

Now, his being big or small isn't really "important" per ce BUT it does change how he's viewed.
    In the book, he's seen as throwing his weight around and no one fucks with him because...well yeah.
    Now in the movie, he's seen compensating for his stature. This makes him more relate-able and even can get sympathy despite being an asshole.

So, yeah just because you think that changing races or sexes doesn't mean anything, it actually means a lot mentally because of how society regards them. That makes them react differently as well. If not, then, well it's not really believable now is it? If you do have them react differently, well now you just changed the character's personality."

What's the point of having discussions if no one bothers to actually read the other side's points?
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    QTMelon

Johnny Storm shares the same parents as Sue Storm so they are genetically brother and sister. So while you can have mixed races due to marriage, you DO want them to look related.

Then even even if you went with the adoption angle might not look right given that Sue became a motherly figure due to dead mom and drunk dad.

Possibly half brother sister due to different marriages maybe.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-28-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I really couldn't care less about what some old white guy thinks tbh. Most people born in that era also frown upon the newer generation's style of dress and overall attitudes towards most things.
    those old fuckers vote though

they create policy

even if we don't care what they think, what they think still shapes our society :/

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    What? I thought we were talking about movie type casting not government