Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #31

Weasyl
    Fayv
    I'd honestly like to see more POC in movies in the lead roles, but not as a replacement for white characters because "it doesn't matter"

I think just randomly changing a character's race to fit some quotient is more harmful, even if it's not intended. There is still a stigma in the united states, there are still kids growing up that are accused of trying to be white, or giving in to white washing if they actively work hard in school or other "successful" avenues. There are different subcultures that to see the majority culture that we take for granted and struggle with it. If you take a character, have the same background, but just change the race, this doesn't really help. That character was originally written as white and is caught up in the white majority. It's not helping those that feel your options are stick with your own kind or give in to what the white man wants.

When you just give someone another race, there are so many small things that add up. I'm not saying that a leading black man can't be a successful scientist, a test pilot, or whatever, but their history is going to be different, they will have different pressures. Even a black character adopted by a middle class white family will have different situations to deal with than a white character of the same background. If we actually care about race or gender then just going "look a leading black character" is not good enough.

It works with some characters, like Nick Fury, because we only need the character in the present. What's Nick Fury's background, his origin, his life. No one cares, it's not important to the story. When you do get main characters like Johnny Storm though, it is important, and if you want to reskin the character then you'll have to do it in full, because their background is important, and will come up in small parts, and will start to get inconsistent if not thought out beyond "he's black now, he was adopted."

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    The original human torch was a robot/android.

The Storm dynamic comes from drug abuse since Sue took the mantle of mother when their father became an abusive alcoholic. So Sue was always motherly. There is nothing really that is really covered more in their history. Like I said earlier how Sue hooks up with Reed isn't very well told and leaves much to be desired.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    The problem is...

The Fantastic 4 suck ass.

All I care about is if they find a good Doctor Doom.

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    So an Indian character being played by a Hispanic is okay but that same character being played by a Brit isn't? I still maintain that Khan being an augment is a hell of a lot more important than the color/ethnic background of the character or the actor playing him.
    No, actually the idea that all brown people are interchangeable is really harmful. But the original movie was cast in an era where they were still putting makeup on white people to make brown people, so casting an actual POC for a POC role was a step up. The 2nd movie came out in freakin' 2013.

Hollywood NOTOROUSLY discriminates against POC actors, so every single time a non-white character comes along and gets played by a white man that's a serious tragedy. For many reasons, not the least of which is non-white actors have so few roles to choose from in the first place, and the "unknowns" among them will have less chance to grab breakout roles and hit the big time.

EDIT @Aleu:

they sure as heck aren't doing it to appease me. I've sworn off all superhero ensemble movies with a single female smurfette character and have no desire to see this movie.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Not one person gave a single fuck when Johnny Depp played Tonto.

Because apparently he's like, 1/14th Native American or something. Even though we have legions of talented Native American actors, nope, Johnny Depp will do, just needs a tiny bit of blood.

People will always find loopholes, race means nothing anymore in Hollywood.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    They did. It was part of the reason it bombed so badly at the box office

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    They did. It was part of the reason it bombed so badly at the box office
    Well, no, the main reason that movie bombed was because it was a shit movie.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    There were quite many who were tired of Johnny Depp and did care he was cast. It was part of the factors. The fact it was bad just helped it along further

Weasyl
    Tica
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Bones View Post
    Not one person gave a single fuck when Johnny Depp played Tonto.

Because apparently he's like, 1/14th Native American or something. Even though we have legions of talented Native American actors, nope, Johnny Depp will do, just needs a tiny bit of blood.

People will always find loopholes, race means nothing anymore in Hollywood.
    idk what corner of the internet you exist in, but my corner of the internet exploded with rage over how goddamn racist that whole movie was before it even hit theatres. I mean, his freakin' costume wasn't even based off a real native american costume... it was based off a made up painting of an imaginary indian by a white dude.

If by "race means nothing anymore in Hollywood" you mean "Hollywood is still hella racist" ... then, yeah, I agree.

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #40

Weasyl
    Fayv
    A lot of people cared about Depp playing Tonto. If they didn't care his 1/14th or whatever heritage wouldn't have even been discussed. They wouldn't have gone to the effort of writing puff pieces where some tribe elder somewhere totally said it was cool.

It was interesting at the time, cause I was working under a grant for Native education at the time, and one of the big issues they were facing is the blood laws. To be a member of the tribe you need some amount of you blood from that tribe, 50% sometimes more depending on the tribe. This means that children with one Crow parent and one Rocky Boy parent might not be considered a member of either tribe and can't get the benefits, even though they are raised in that culture, etc etc. Imagine how well they took all the "he's 1/14th native" stuff.