Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 72
  1. #21
    Senior Willow's Avatar
    Weasyl
    willy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-Bone View Post
    The thing about Khan is Khan isn't exactly "white" or "brown" or whatever in the world of Star Trek. For one thing, Star Trek's is a world that has abandoned the social construct of race, at least as pertains to humans. He might've been originally played by a Hispanic, yes, but the character himself doesn't belong to a "race" in our sense of the term. He's genetically engineered to be a superhuman and is defined by/defines himself by that world's term: Augment.
    I'm not totally familiar with it but I know it was a huge argument over his race so it was the only good example I could give. I believe the main argument was if Khan was supposedly the most perfect human being, why would he choose to be white? Or why did he have to be white?

    And the other reason why I use him as an example is because people assumed the producers were trying to "whitewash" the series when in reality, it was an issue of casting.

    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon
    Hollywood works in mysterious ways. When something is rather diverse like The Last Airbender they whitewash it and when it isn't really necessary they overcompensate
    I have a feeling that whitewashing was the least of The Last Airbender's problems :v

  2. #22
    Regular Tica's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tica
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Gender
    cis woman
    Posts
    59
    *will read whole thread later*

    Hollywood fuckin' whitewishes POC characters alla time, and it's stupid. Like freakin 99% of characters are white and it's bullshit. I have zero problem with white actors being replaced by POC actors in movies because if we don't start doin' that we'll never get rid of the white man's supermajority of roles

    EDIT

    canonically, Khan is a sikh from northern India. I was so pissed they cast a white dude for an Indian role I didn't go see that movie in theatres.

    I'm sick of white-bread dude-man heroes and white-bread dude-man faces and white-bread dude-man characters and every time they replace one of those motherfuckers with a female and/or POC face it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. true story.
    Last edited by Tica; 02-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.

  3. #23
    Senior Damian's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    amongst the clouds
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    *will read whole thread later*

    Hollywood fuckin' whitewishes POC characters alla time, and it's stupid. Like freakin 99% of characters are white and it's bullshit. I have zero problem with white actors being replaced by POC actors in movies because if we don't start doin' that we'll never get rid of the white man's supermajority of roles

    EDIT

    canonically, Khan is a sikh from northern India. I was so pissed they cast a white dude for an Indian role I didn't go see that movie in theatres.

    I'm sick of white-bread dude-man heroes and white-bread dude-man faces and white-bread dude-man characters and every time they replace one of those motherfuckers with a female and/or POC face it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. true story.
    Or Hollywood can stop whitewashing instead of going with poc just to appease a crowd.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

  4. #24
    Regular Tica's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Tica
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Gender
    cis woman
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu View Post
    Or Hollywood can stop whitewashing instead of going with poc just to appease a crowd.
    Who are they appeasing? What crowd does this appease? All I see is people pissed off left and right, except a small cadre of people (like me) who don't think reboots have to adhere to source material 100% in order to not suck.

    If Hollywood stopped whitewashing POC roles AND started writing a shit-ton more POC roles and started letting freakin' women and POC and POC women actually STAR in blockbusters (and that shit CAN be done, look at the hunger games etc), then we wouldnt have a race problem and this wouuldn't even be an issue

    Anyway, you already got your white-bread fantastic 4, I don't understand why every freakin' reboot has to be the same freakin' thing all over and over and over again.

    I do kinda agree with someone earlier in the thread though that making the main stretchy guy POC would've been way more interesting than the hothead fire guy.

  5. #25
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.

  6. #26
    Senior Willow's Avatar
    Weasyl
    willy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica
    If Hollywood stopped whitewashing POC roles AND started writing a shit-ton more POC roles and started letting freakin' women and POC and POC women actually STAR in blockbusters (and that shit CAN be done, look at the hunger games etc), then we wouldnt have a race problem and this wouuldn't even be an issue
    Jennifer Lawrence was white and a good majority of the actual POC characters died.

    I'd rather see minorities given their own special roles as opposed to this.

    Anyway, you already got your white-bread fantastic 4, I don't understand why every freakin' reboot has to be the same freakin' thing all over and over and over again.
    I don't understand why they need to reboot the Fantastic 4 of all things. But again, I think that's beside the point.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    *will read whole thread later*

    Hollywood fuckin' whitewishes POC characters alla time, and it's stupid. Like freakin 99% of characters are white and it's bullshit. I have zero problem with white actors being replaced by POC actors in movies because if we don't start doin' that we'll never get rid of the white man's supermajority of roles

    EDIT

    canonically, Khan is a sikh from northern India. I was so pissed they cast a white dude for an Indian role I didn't go see that movie in theatres.

    I'm sick of white-bread dude-man heroes and white-bread dude-man faces and white-bread dude-man characters and every time they replace one of those motherfuckers with a female and/or POC face it makes me feel all fuzzy inside. true story.
    So an Indian character being played by a Hispanic is okay but that same character being played by a Brit isn't? I still maintain that Khan being an augment is a hell of a lot more important than the color/ethnic background of the character or the actor playing him.

  8.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #28
    Crabby Admin Term's Avatar

    Weasyl
    Term
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I don't understand why they need to reboot the Fantastic 4 of all things. But again, I think that's beside the point.
    This is simple and it's the same reason why Sony keeps making Spider-Man movies.

    When Fox bought the movie rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four it was contingent on the fact that they were going to actually use the license. If they don't make movies or have plans to make movies, they'll lose those rights and they'll be reverted back to Marvel Studios, as Punisher, Ghost Rider, and Blade have.

    Basically with comic book movies being as popular as they are and not wanting Disney and Warner Brothers to control the whole comic book market, they're going to try and milk every dollar out of the licenses they have. This is why we won't see Spider-Man hanging around with the Avengers or Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the Avengers sequel be referred to as "mutants." And why the Guardians of the Galaxy will be interacting with the Sakarr as opposed to fighting more appropriate alien races like the Skrull or Badoon.

  9. #29
    Premium User QT Melon's Avatar


    Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,478
    Fantastic Four is rather weak when it comes to movie franchises. But I am guessing they did it for the same reason Sony rebooted Spiderman which is keeping licensing rights to use the characters.

    But I need to look up the studios involved to verify - and it is still Fox so they want to hang onto the franchise.

    The other reason is allowing consistency crossover potential for their movie line. After all you want to keep the same success with the Avengers going.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-28-2014 at 03:56 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Damian's Avatar
    Weasyl
    N/A
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    amongst the clouds
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Tica View Post
    Who are they appeasing? What crowd does this appease? All I see is people pissed off left and right, except a small cadre of people (like me) who don't think reboots have to adhere to source material 100% in order to not suck.

    If Hollywood stopped whitewashing POC roles AND started writing a shit-ton more POC roles and started letting freakin' women and POC and POC women actually STAR in blockbusters (and that shit CAN be done, look at the hunger games etc), then we wouldnt have a race problem and this wouuldn't even be an issue

    Anyway, you already got your white-bread fantastic 4, I don't understand why every freakin' reboot has to be the same freakin' thing all over and over and over again.

    I do kinda agree with someone earlier in the thread though that making the main stretchy guy POC would've been way more interesting than the hothead fire guy.
    Working to appease people like you who feel the need to change races because supposedly it's not important (even though i already explain how and why it is but of course when i try to raise an interesting point it's ignored).

    Honestly i'd hate it even if it was standard characters that weren't the prior cast because I'm not a fan of reboots between a few short years.

    Also, they have to be white because, shock, in the GRAPHIC NOVEL they are white. If it was just a book that made no mention, sure let's go with that. But now because being white is a crime now, they feel the need to arbitrarily change characters. You know if Hollywood would stop whitewashing, gender-bending, and black-facing, maybe we'd have less issues because then everyone would be what they're intended to be.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •