Weasyl
    Lavence

Critiques please

I'd like critique on these three pictures of mine: 1 (has blood), 2, and 3 (NSFW).

I've actually done more progress on the last two, but it's not a huge amount. As you can tell, I have a hard time with hair. I've checked out a few tutorials and videos, and I just can't get the hang of it. :/

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Keep practicing, even with a few tutorials you'll still need to do a lot of work to learn how to draw certain things.

I think in the first picture, the background is too strong and distracting.

What he says about the strands or adding in details last holds true for all things, you need to draw the shapes, then find your extremes like shadows or highlights as basic shapes. You can also just just do shadows and midtones, depending on style but the details are always last until you get the basic look down.

Weasyl
    Antumbra
    Oddly enough, I actually liked the hair in the first image the best. I'm no expert on it either, but one tip someone gave me once is to not treat it like individual strands and more as bunches (that happen to be made of strands). Shade the bunches like solid pieces with their shadows and highlights, then focus on adding details

I also agree with QT that the first image's background is distracting. When the image and the background are both that strong, it makes the image look flat and takes away from the subject.

I also like that you are progressing more with your shadows, but I might suggest avoiding such strong shading on the cheeks. It almost gives them a concave look, but that isn't how the face is actually set up.

Keep up the good work though!

Weasyl
    willy
    The first picture is really nice but the background is a little hard on the eyes. The foreground object is too light and so is the background so they kind of start to meld together almost. It may also be a bit too busy (the background), but that just may be me.

Also try blending in your skin tones a little more. The shadows and tones look a little too sharp in some areas.

Weasyl
    Lavence
    Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the advice. I'll keep them in mind for future drawings. Or try to since my memory isn't that great lol.