Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84

    Typesetting: Anyone interested?

    I'm really trying to learn typesetting, I want very much to bring back what I see as something that just doesn't get a lot of attention brought to it. Typesetting for me is a huge part of what I enjoy about reading, so i want to try and spread as much of it as I can to help others enjoy reading.

    Here is an example/ setting out the idea. I'm also polling for general interest to see if there even are enough people who would like this to make it worth any significant investment beyond hobywork.

    *edit*

    Well, I was going to put a poll, but apparently time limits.
    Last edited by irick; 02-24-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: O_o
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  2. #2
    I went to look at it but you have to request access to see this. So I can't just click, look, and comment. I don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

  3. #3
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejoker View Post
    I went to look at it but you have to request access to see this. So I can't just click, look, and comment. I don't know if that was done on purpose or not.
    Sorry about that!
    Changed the privacy settings, kinda am having to shoehorn it in because of the lack of pdf support.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    Sorry about that!
    Changed the privacy settings, kinda am having to shoehorn it in because of the lack of pdf support.
    It's ok!

    I took a look, and it sounds really interesting. You also wrote all that very well - I didn't lose interest. I could probably give you a page to play with for typesetting if you'd like! It's still rough in story, but if you're ok with that I wouldn't mind.

    Question: The margins on page 3 and 4 seem 'reversed', in that page 3 has more space on the right, and page 4 more on the left. Is that intentional or is there a technical reason for it?

  5. #5
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejoker View Post
    It's ok!

    I took a look, and it sounds really interesting. You also wrote all that very well - I didn't lose interest. I could probably give you a page to play with for typesetting if you'd like! It's still rough in story, but if you're ok with that I wouldn't mind.

    Question: The margins on page 3 and 4 seem 'reversed', in that page 3 has more space on the right, and page 4 more on the left. Is that intentional or is there a technical reason for it?
    It's so that it reads more like a book when you put a PDF viewer in side by side mode.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    It's so that it reads more like a book when you put a PDF viewer in side by side mode.
    Ah! Makes sense. I don't usually read a .pdf like that - but I can see that now.

    So if we're interested just send you a note?

  7. #7
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by insanejoker View Post
    Ah! Makes sense. I don't usually read a .pdf like that - but I can see that now.

    So if we're interested just send you a note?
    Yep, or you can post a link to it here. Either or.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    Yep, or you can post a link to it here. Either or.
    Sent a note

  9.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
    Retired Staff Frank LeRenard's Avatar
    Weasyl
    MLR
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Land of the Finns
    Posts
    439
    I'm sort of a fan of nice typesetting, myself. Since Weasyl got PDF support, I've begun posting my own works typeset in LaTeX (I have quite a bit of experience with it, actually, but mostly in scientific writing, e.g. math formulas and figures). Lately I've been dicking around with some more advanced fiction-oriented things and discovered that it's a gigantic pain in the rear-end to get things to work exactly the way you want, but once you get a template, you're done and can use it over and over again or share it with other folks to adjust or improve as they see fit. So with regard to your question, certainly, go for it. It's a project worth doing because it can easily be built upon indefinitely.

    On that note, I discovered that XeTeX seems to be the better option for fiction, as it's able to access all of the various fonts and other odd things that most folks who write in LaTeX don't use (it's a community mostly dominated by mathematicians and scientists; this also means that forums and help pages are damn-near useless when it comes to things like presentation).

  10. #10
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post
    I'm sort of a fan of nice typesetting, myself. Since Weasyl got PDF support, I've begun posting my own works typeset in LaTeX (I have quite a bit of experience with it, actually, but mostly in scientific writing, e.g. math formulas and figures). Lately I've been dicking around with some more advanced fiction-oriented things and discovered that it's a gigantic pain in the rear-end to get things to work exactly the way you want, but once you get a template, you're done and can use it over and over again or share it with other folks to adjust or improve as they see fit. So with regard to your question, certainly, go for it. It's a project worth doing because it can easily be built upon indefinitely.

    On that note, I discovered that XeTeX seems to be the better option for fiction, as it's able to access all of the various fonts and other odd things that most folks who write in LaTeX don't use (it's a community mostly dominated by mathematicians and scientists; this also means that forums and help pages are damn-near useless when it comes to things like presentation).
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I've already got it set up, apparently it's part of TeX Live. Are there any resources you'd recommend for learning it?
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •