Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A

Tagging a person on forums

This may already be implemented, so I apologize in advance if it is or if there's already been a question regarding this.

I've noticed that quoting someone will make a notice appear in the User CP page, but I was wondering if there's a shortcut like @[username] to get someones attention in a topic. Something like that would really be beneficial I think, and less cluttery of many quotations.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Why not send a PM or leave a visitor note?

Weasyl
    N/A
    Those are more personal I find, and even though I'd be tagging a certain someone, the msg could be for everyone. Say if you just want to mention them or a few people, tagging them within a topic that they normally don't check up on would get their attention. Right now would be a perfect example, instead of quotting right underneath your msg, I could just go @QT Melon to alert you.

I could see that working like FB...

Weasyl
    N/A
    Sounds too much like FB and could honestly would be more annoying than beneficial.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I didn't even realize FB had that (I don't use it xD). I'm on another forum which has this, and for me personally works great.

Weasyl
    Naruto Uzumaki
    In my experience, most forums have a feature similar to this, or at least, all of the ones I've been part of. Overall it's useful, and doesn't do any harm to implement. It's more useful than not in most cases, and it doesn't really take away from any current features so I don't see the harm in adding it for the people who want it.

Aleu: Sounds too much like FB and could honestly would be more annoying than beneficial.
    Curious how this would be annoying? Not a criticism of your opinion, just wondering why you see it that way. It might be a valid concern that I just don't see after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Naruto Uzumaki View Post
    Curious how this would be annoying? Not a criticism of your opinion, just wondering why you see it that way. It might be a valid concern that I just don't see after all.
    On occasion I've seen similar ideas misused by people who simply don't understand the point of the feature and will use it absolutely every time they mention a person. Whether their attention is needed or not.

Also, with common names it can lead to notifications going to the wrong person. A prediction system would work around that by showing display pictures when choosing the user (like OPC)

It's a good thing to have provided people use it properly and it works well

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Naruto Uzumaki View Post
    In my experience, most forums have a feature similar to this, or at least, all of the ones I've been part of. Overall it's useful, and doesn't do any harm to implement. It's more useful than not in most cases, and it doesn't really take away from any current features so I don't see the harm in adding it for the people who want it.

It's another feature that would be implemented to notify whoever it's being talked about or referred to. Just bring the attention to the person. If anything, it seems like it'd be another version of "callouts"
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    One of the problems of @callouts was the abuse on Facebook and other media. It was mainly people trying to shamelessly promote their stuff and people getting "Tagged' by it. It was definitely seen as unprofessional on media like Facebook because some "fan" was trying to get an artist to notice them by including them in tags.

I'll just say it for myself. If you need my attention on a critique or something just PM me or leave me a visitor message. I don't really pay attention to the control panel part you are referring to, in all honesty. If it seems to personal, you're asking for my attention to it, so it already kinda is.