1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Getting into an electric guitar groove?

So, electric guitar wielding folks of Weasyl, I need some help with trying to get into the realm of electrics a bit more than in my current state. I only know anything about acoustic guitars, and my mind's been a bit boggled trying to understand all the equipment and recording procedures. I still also refuse to use a pick, haha.

My current guitar was a gift, a Squier VM Jaguar that didn't get set-up, and has the worst, most buzzing bridge attached to it: http://www.fender.com/squier/series/...olor-sunburst/ Unfortunately, the buzz is so bad all around that it won't even stay in tune now, and I'm just completely frustrated with trying to record anything further. It's a notorious problem that the model has.

I did get a few things recorded through audacity by using the line out on my Vox AD30VT amp to my PC's line in, but the closest decent sound I can get comes from this submission, and it's not anywhere close to where I'd like to be: https://www.weasyl.com/submission/477482/

If I had to say I was aiming for a particular sound, it'd definitely be the sound from the J-rock band Last Alliance:

So how would someone get to that point? What kind of equipment, what kind of guitar, etc etc? Thanks in advance!

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Don't worry about the pick, unless you're playing metal it's not really a big deal! Hell, one of my favorite guitarists (Mark Knopfler) plays fingerstyle. I'm afraid I can't help you much with the buzzing from your bridge unless you aim to replace the bridge...but a nice cheap way to improve the sound of your guitar is to get a graphtech nut to replace your stock plastic one. It's easy to install, and there's plenty of youtube tutorials on how to do it. Besides that, the easiest way to get the sound you want it to just...fiddle with your amp. a lot. It's a bit tedious, but it's worth it to get the hang of working with that sort of equipment.

Blerg, looking back at this I know it's probably not very helpful, if you have any followup questions then please fire away x3
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    Gamedog

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conner View Post
    Don't worry about the pick, unless you're playing metal it's not really a big deal! Hell, one of my favorite guitarists (Mark Knopfler) plays fingerstyle. I'm afraid I can't help you much with the buzzing from your bridge unless you aim to replace the bridge...but a nice cheap way to improve the sound of your guitar is to get a graphtech nut to replace your stock plastic one. It's easy to install, and there's plenty of youtube tutorials on how to do it. Besides that, the easiest way to get the sound you want it to just...fiddle with your amp. a lot. It's a bit tedious, but it's worth it to get the hang of working with that sort of equipment.

Blerg, looking back at this I know it's probably not very helpful, if you have any followup questions then please fire away x3
    Awesome, that's good to know. My style just isn't conducive to a pick, although I'm willing to learn... just, I feel more flexible and artistic with my fingers, as odd as that is to say. If I keep the guitar, the bridge has to go... I'm just not sure how big of a deal the electronics in the guitar itself will make in getting the sound I want. I'll keep fiddling with the amp too, I found a good setting + capoing on the 4th fret gives me a decent sound, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Looks sweet, but do you have any advice to contribute to the issue at hand, or on electrics in general for a newb? :P

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Nope, sorry :( I just figured you'd enjoy an old fashioned electric guitar, lol
    I'm completely ignorant about electric guitars, however, my uncle (who owns that guitar) knows a shit-ton about them and collects old ones. I could ask him any questions you have if you'd like?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamedog View Post
    Nope, sorry I just figured you'd enjoy an old fashioned electric guitar, lol
    I'm completely ignorant about electric guitars, however, my uncle (who owns that guitar) knows a shit-ton about them and collects old ones. I could ask him any questions you have if you'd like?
    I did! I'm just a little desperate for some answers haha. My Jag is mocking me from the corner of my room right now, and it either needs to behave or get sold. If you run into him anytime soon, just ask him his opinion on amps and the electronics inside a guitar. I've heard stuff like Fender amps giving a cleaner sound, whereas Vox ones might lean toward something muddier and grittier. I really don't know, I never thought I'd cull an interest in playing electrics.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Will do! :)

I'm not terribly knowledgeable on how to get specific tones (I play an electric, but I can rarely plug it into an amp and crank the volume) but you might find some help asking here or here.

Even better would be going into a Guitar Centre, or whatever music shop you have nearby, and asking them for help with the bridge and any other enquiries you might have. You'll have the chance to plug into different amps and see the differences for yourself. (And while you're at it trying some other electric guitars will give you some more perspective. It's great fun too.)

Otherwise, just keep playing around with the settings on your amp and guitar. It takes quite a while to find a decent sound sometimes. I'll also add that outside of the amp, the biggest influences on the sound you get is from the type of strings and the pickups you have, so you might consider changing those if you're still unhappy with the tone.
    Main advice I suppose is to talk to some experts! I don't really have much of a clue about what I'm talking about.
    I do hope you can get that bridge fixed! Buzzing and having to re-tune all of the time sounds like a nightmare.
    Last edited by Demensa; 02-23-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: lazy sentence writing

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Demensa View Post
    I'm not terribly knowledgeable on how to get specific tones (I play an electric, but I can rarely plug it into an amp and crank the volume) but you might find some help asking here or here.

Even better would be going into a Guitar Centre, or whatever music shop you have nearby, and asking them for help with the bridge and any other enquiries you might have. You'll have the chance to plug into different amps and see the differences for yourself. (And while you're at it trying some other electric guitars will give you some more perspective. It's great fun too.)

Otherwise, just keep playing around with the settings on your amp and guitar. It takes quite a while to find a decent sound sometimes. I'll also add that outside of the amp, the biggest influences on the sound you get is from the type of strings and the pickups you have, so you might consider changing those if you're still unhappy with the tone.
    Main advice I suppose is to talk to some experts! I don't really have much of a clue about what I'm talking about.
    I do hope you can get that bridge fixed! Buzzing and having to re-tune all of the time sounds like a nightmare.
    I've heard lots of bad stuff about the Guitar Center we have here, I'm just generally uncomfortable with the whole sales environment of it, but it'd be the fastest way. I'd probably want to go with a friend or something who's knowledgeable about it too, though that'll have to be once I move. I'll try poking around those sites too, though it's just weird to feel like such a newb again. xD

This is the thread about the Jag's bridge problems, for future reference: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc...t-1090758.html

In the meantime I haven't played for a few days, so I'll start fiddling around with my old Epi SG at least and see if I can get it to sound passably decent. I like the tone of the Jag so much better, but it's just not cooperating. Don't worry, I appreciate any advice or help I can get, you've certainly done a lot to help point me in the right direction!

So I know it's a huge deal on acoustic, but what kind of an impact do the strings have on electrics?