Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 115

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The Unfashionable Male

  1. #71
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    No one is struggling to get through trade school because you're paid for your apprenticeship, tuition is peanuts, it lasts 2 years, and you're working half that time for overtime with union benefits. Everyone I know who bought a home in their early 20s did so as a tradesman.
    What tradeschools are you referring to? As far as I'm aware, they're all private (or most of them are) and still require a tution.
    Are you confusing trade schools with Job Corps? While they teach trades, it's not the same thing (for starters, you must be between the ages of 16-26, have a small income and actually be allowed to get in. I know this because I went to Job Corps and got trained in a trade).

    If 20-somethings are having such a hard time paying off student loans and not being able to afford things they need to reevaluate what they're doing with their lives instead of just blindly taking everyone else's advice.
    I suppose they could start with ignoring everything you've said then.

    I'm an econ major because economics is a highly marketable field of expertise.
    Sorry, don't believe you. Your ignorance about the basic facts of home ownership and renting in todays economy gave you away.

    If I can't find a job in that field I have fallback plans. I'm not pointing fingers at society or the economy, there's tons of opportunity out there.
    And many of us don't have the opportunity to get to it.
    Last edited by AndiGreyScale; 02-22-2014 at 09:17 PM.

  2. #72
    Retired Staff piņardilla's Avatar

    Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Gender
    Claims to be a porpoise.
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Anyway, I still like living in an apartment.
    My only regret is that I am not able to paint my bedroom walls like space. But at least I won't have to dish out tons of money if the sewer starts leaking up through the bathtub.
    Have you asked if you can paint? A lot of landlords will repaint between tenants anyways so it may not be a big deal to them.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.

  3. #73
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Most people going into the medical or education fields don't need to worry about finding a job after college. There's not exactly an over-abundance of teachers and doctors.
    Maybe not doctors, though they do get saddled with over $200k in debt and no, they're not all paid so incredibly well that they don't even have to worry about it.
    But we do have to many teachers in many cities and states because we're having few children. Fewer children means smaller class sizes. But the competition for a teaching position is something fierce.

    It's only in the under-funded school systems where they have the issue of over-crowding with to many students and not enough teachers. But they can't afford more teachers either. So yes, we have a over-saturation of teachers. If someone wants to teach, college level may be their best bet but I honestly don't see College coming out unscathed from this economy. I suspect that as more trade schools become more popular many colleges will go under.
    Last edited by AndiGreyScale; 02-22-2014 at 09:18 PM.

  4. #74
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by piņardilla View Post
    Have you asked if you can paint? A lot of landlords will repaint between tenants anyways so it may not be a big deal to them.
    I could ask them. I don't think it's allowed, though. Especially considering that I'm on housing.

    I could always just buy a bunch of space posters and coat my walls in them.
    Resident Koopa Trash

  5. #75
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    They also wouldn't be worried about paying off student debt because they'd be comfortably employed, so I'm not seeing your point.
    Except for all those who are not comfortably employed.

    Welcome to reality!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I don't have the time to write out how stupid simple it is to make money off living in a house compared with an apartment when I know it's going to be buried under a mountain of stupid pointless posts because my differing opinion seems to make other people lose control of their sensibilities. Particularly because the mods won't do their damn job.
    Stop insulting everyone in this thread. It's childish as hell.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    Don't have time or can't?



    And what job would that be? Shutting down the thread or deleting our posts because -most of us (not me lol)- are making educated and valid counter points?
    Spot on. TA is the one that is going around insulting everyone that has disagreed with him.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TealMoon View Post
    I now read all of TA's posts in the voice of a cranky old man.

    Ideals of "manliness" change. (Though what you're describing is a twisted view of just being a responsible adult).

    You're just complaining that not everyone agrees with your narcissistic world view.
    Yes. Exactly.

    And it will continue to change.

    It's just a simple concept!

  6. #76
    Premium User Runefox's Avatar


    Weasyl
    Runefox
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NL, Canada
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    It's far beyond that, if I'd said half the things people have said to me in this topic elsewhere, I'd have been banned long ago. This entire topic has been derailed by people shitposting.
    It's hilarious that, of all people, you would complain that people are derailing a thread. Not to mention the 140(?) character limit for a postcount increase for the very reason that people should be allowed to post small interjections like "thanks" and so on is kind of why nobody on the moderation staff is responding to your complaints.

    I have nothing to say about the topic proper. I'm not getting into it. I just wanted to point out how hilarious that bit was.
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-22-2014 at 09:17 PM.

  7. #77
    Senior Willow's Avatar
    Weasyl
    willy
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiGreyScale View Post
    Maybe not doctors, though they do get saddled with over $200k in debt and no, they're not all paid so incredibly well that they don't even have to worry about it.
    But we do have to many teachers in many cities and states because we're having few children. Fewer children means smaller class sizes. But the competition for a teaching position is something fierce.
    The same goes for nursing apparently.

  8. #78
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    It's far beyond that, if I'd said half the things people have said to me in this topic elsewhere, I'd have been banned long ago. This entire topic has been derailed by people shitposting.
    If by people you mean you, then I'd agree.

  9. #79
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    Did this seriously just devolve into "everyone is trolling me"?

    Anyway, I still like living in an apartment.
    My only regret is that I am not able to paint my bedroom walls like space. But at least I won't have to dish out tons of money if the sewer starts leaking up through the bathtub.
    I like living in our current apartment as well. It's not an over-sized, over-priced piece of crap that was my parents former McMansion out in the suburbs. The only complaint I have is that it gets cold (we're on the ground level) so I have to turn my room heater on full blast during our recent snow storms (Colorado).

  10. #80
    Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Caramel Frappe
    Posts
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    The same goes for nursing apparently.
    Oh gods yes. My sister in law wanted to be a nurse until she realized there's an over-saturation of them all over the bloody place. Can't remember what she's going for now.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •