Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Social Anxiety

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I'm genuinely curious, how is it that people here who suffer from severe social anxiety have boyfriends, girlfriends, or even fiancees/partners? The only reason I can come up with so far is that maybe it's easier to establish deeper connections with a single individual, than it is for basic ones with various strangers and such?
    I've only got 1 friend (I wouldn't say he's my bf, we're more like soul-mates though as we think the same about everything. We practically know eachother inside and out!). Your reason is pretty spot on; rather than forming connections with many, there's really only need for a handful if you're lucky.
    Last edited by Moogle; 12-12-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Totally forgot bout this post, clipped cuz ya

Weasyl
    DivinePrince
    I don't have SAD, but I have GAD with depressive and obsessive tendencies. Had it for almost my entire life, but became noticable 4 years ago.

I dont like it, but I dont know what i'd do without it. It's a part of me now. It's like, I want it to become bearable, but I do not want it to go.
    Just an elusive non-anthro artist passing through.

For myself, I used to suffer from severe social anxiety. I was never diagnosed with anything, however if I ever had to do anything, be it speak to a group of 4 people, present to a group of 200, or ask someone with authority a question, I'd end up physically being sick from fear and stress I put myself under.

In high school I gained a small amount of confidence and was able to fumble my way through school with minimal interaction and my small circle of friends. As with most people the group presentation work was always a kick in the teeth, and I'd avoid anyone around those times. In school I had my first proper relationship which had formed online and led to a world of additional confidence barriers. At some points I couldn't speak to my own family and to this day I still can't fathom exactly why that was.

Shortly after the end of that relationship I decided to give the furry fandom a shot and went to a fur meet. I took a massive risk, but it paid off and meeting these new people has worked wonders on my confidence. Throwing everything to the wind was exactly what I needed to do to get out of the hole I'd dug myself into.

Since then I've progressed to the point where I can lead a group of people to a venue, be the manager of a small (pretend) project team, and I've earned myself the Ferret rank on Weasyl All from taking that one big, incredibly difficult, step.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    I've noticed that in winter my social skills take a huge hit. I get really depressed and aggravated by the weather and it affects my social skills. I become more standoffish and quiet.

During the warm months I'm all about going out an trying new things and meeting new people.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    DivinePrince
    You're like me, Sloth.

You may have Seasonal affective Disorder. A form of Depression that hits you usually whenever there is not enough sun.
    Just an elusive non-anthro artist passing through.

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Quote Originally Posted by DivinePrince View Post
    You're like me, Sloth.

You may have Seasonal affective Disorder. A form of Depression that hits you usually whenever there is not enough sun.
    Yeah probably. I have too much energy. I'll probably get a gym membership next winter so I can at least burn some cals.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    I've only got 1 friend (I wouldn't say he's my bf, we're more like soul-mates though as we think the same about everything. We practically know eachother inside and out!). Your reason is pretty spot on; rather than forming connections with many, there's really only need for a handful if you're lucky.
    ((Is it ok if I necro this? Was looking for a social anxiety post. Especially since even posting on a forum is hard--figured posting on a thread about this very thing would help.))

Same, my husband is more or less my only friend. Sometimes I'm curious about making new ones, but it ends up seeming more frustrating than it's worth, and since I'm good at keeping myself occupied indefinitely, it *usually* doesn't bother me, usually.
    That being said, the fact that I used to have a handful of close friends before my anxiety really got bad kind of complicates things. I guess I do miss it from time to time, but making new friends has become such a baffling process. Especially once you hit my age group and everyone is either constantly busy with kids or constantly busy with work (seems like we keep bumping into people with extremely demanding jobs if they don't already have kids). :/ ((I'm open to younger friends, but, I don't wanna creep them out either. ))
    I've also become spoiled by people always taking initiative with me, and if they don't, I just feel stuck. Seems like getting married had this weird effect where people stop approaching you entirely, lol. >>

Oh, and to add to the original question, I've found that I tend to expect too much from "casual" friendships, and I tend to interpret casual as not caring (or i'll interpret things as straight-up negative when they're perfectly neutral--really trying to shake this habit! >>;; ) So, it's definitely way less stressful to stick with the people I really click with, even if it's just one person.

I also have pretty bad SA online, every now and then I try to be active on a forum, and it usually results in me deleting most of my posts within a few days, even though I've honestly never encountered any drama or unpleasantness. Embarrassed is kinda just my default state most of the time, lol >>;
    Last edited by Shalmons; 05-24-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Agree with some of the other posters. The best way is to just put yourself out there and start speaking to people. It's going to be super difficult in the beginning, however it gets easier. And you will then be much happier as a result.

Weasyl
    Charrio
    Seems to be a semi common problem.
    I hate people to be honest but only due to a hard start in life and find animals my safety and peace of mind.
    Take a gander at my Gallery here, hope you like and brings a smile.
    https://www.weasyl.com/~charrio