Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

  Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Furry College Club

  1. #1
    Junior CrazyLee's Avatar
    Weasyl
    CrazyLee
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    in the twilight zone
    Gender
    Haz Penis Will Yiff
    Posts
    24

    Furry College Club

    Some people I know at college started a Furry club.

    Bad idea, or bad idea?

    Now, I personally think the idea of a furry club would be a bad idea. But, who knows.
    I ask them the purpose of the club and they said their "official mission statement" was to promote the furry fandom in a positive light, to change people's minds about the fandom, that it's not just sex in fursuits, and to also have a positive, welcoming place for furs at the college to hang out.

    I figured that they were just forming a hangout place for furs at this school, and all the lofty goals they put in their mission statement was just to make the college happy, because universities like to see that shit. But it seems they might actually WANT to promote the furry fandom outside of club, at least to keep the college happy.

    Just this week they got together and had a meeting on two things: What they could do during each club meet, and also what they could do outside of club to promote the furry fandom in a positive light. And they asked me what ideas I had.

    I was stumped. I have always seen the fandom as a hobby, and I've been cynical about the fandom, so my attitude of it is the same as someone into BDSM: I engage in the fandom but I don't talk about it outside the fandom. I keep my interest to myself. So I have no idea.

    I did throw down some ideas. I said the best way to promote the fandom would be to wear fursuits and do charitable community work, which is what I've seen other fursuiters do. Unfortunately no one in the club owns a suit. I also suggested bake sales and so forth. As for in-club activities, I said workshops on how to art, how to build tails or ears, ect.


    What I'm curious is if any of you have any ideas. Ideas on how a furry college club can promote the fandom positively, and what activities the club can do during club time.


    Also, the club president said the oddest thing. She said that full-body fursuits, without clothes, would be discouraged from showing up at club. Why? Because, according to her, a fullsuit is considered "naked" and people would see it and think it was obscene because it was "naked" and not wearing clothes. And the college would think that and shut down the club.

    Um, wat? I don't think I've met a single person who saw a fullsuit without clothing and thought it was obscene or naked. They just thought it was a cute mascot suit. Durr....

  2. #2
    Hmmm
    If one really wanted to 'promote' the furry fandom at college, fursuiting would be the obvious choice.
    Otherwise, I don't really have any ideas. Promoting the fandom seems like such a pointless idea to me. Maybe I'm being cynical as well, but I can't see any positive outcomes that would justify doing it.

    Of course, hanging out with like minded people and doing activities with them would be fun. A college club could *in theory* work, though 'furry activities' I think outside of drawing are fairly limited.
    That's fine though... I always imagined it would be more of a 'let's do things with people who have similar interests' rather than 'let's only do things centered around this interest'.
    Having a college group (and thus tying it to the college) rather than just organising a group outside of school seems a little strange to me as well.


    I'm stumped too. In terms of ideas, but mostly 'promotion' just seems like such an odd word to associate with the Furry Fandom. I don't get it.

  3. #3
    Senior Vae's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Vae
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    the sky
    Gender
    Ludwig Von Koopa
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLee View Post
    they said their "official mission statement" was to promote the furry fandom in a positive light, to change people's minds about the fandom, that it's not just sex in fursuits,
    I hate this kind of mindset, personally.

    It's one thing for furries to just engage in their furry-ness for the enjoyment they get out of it as a hobby. It's another to turn it into some kind of soapbox message to shove down everyone's throats.
    It comes off as playing the victim before anyone's even turned you into a victim, in the first place (unless your college has serious issues with anti-furry violence or some shit), or acting like furry is some grander thing than it should be.

    It would basically be the same as if I decided to create a college club on the basis of "I want to put gamers in a more positive light," which just seems entirely needless, self-important, and obnoxious to the core.
    Resident Koopa Trash

  4. #4
    Senior sassySloth's Avatar
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MA USA
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    I think if it's something they keep as a school thing, nothing bad could really happen. Especially since I don't attend your school. :B
    But they shouldn't be actively trying draw attention away from the sexual aspect because you're only going to draw attention to it.
    That's actually a really good point. I hadn't thought of that before. If furries go around with the mission of "showing people we aren't all freaks." It's inevitably going to around interest in what it is that gives furries such a bad reputation in the first place.

    My recommendation for a college furry group would be: Act as rational and level-headed as possible so that people won't be turned off immediately by awkwardness.
    Watch me swooce right in.

  5. #5
    my recommendation would be to not go around and try and preach around campus, just get together, maybe do fursuit workshops where the members get together and work on suits or learn how to sew and sculpt and all that stuff, do drawing workshops etc etc. don't try and go around preaching about how misunderstood the fandom is, because that's what it is, a fandom. I don't see homestucks forming clubs to try and change people's idea about their fandom, or hetaboos, or sherlock fans.

    in fact, I think what's gotten furries the reputation they have today, is that they're OBSESSED with positive press. there's uncountable furry "documentaries" and "tv specials" and even "books" and all it's doing is,like mentioned above, is making people go "why is not being seen as a freak so important to these people, why did they get that rep in the first place?
    follow me on twitter for more anti-capitalism and surrealist humour

  6. #6
    Junior CrazyLee's Avatar
    Weasyl
    CrazyLee
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    in the twilight zone
    Gender
    Haz Penis Will Yiff
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I hate this kind of mindset, personally.

    It's one thing for furries to just engage in their furry-ness for the enjoyment they get out of it as a hobby. It's another to turn it into some kind of soapbox message to shove down everyone's throats.
    It comes off as playing the victim before anyone's even turned you into a victim, in the first place (unless your college has serious issues with anti-furry violence or some shit), or acting like furry is some grander thing than it should be.

    It would basically be the same as if I decided to create a college club on the basis of "I want to put gamers in a more positive light," which just seems entirely needless, self-important, and obnoxious to the core.
    Quote Originally Posted by XoPachi View Post
    But they shouldn't be actively trying draw attention away from the sexual aspect because you're only going to draw attention to it.

    Both of these things.

    The way I see it is that most people will have no idea what the furry fandom is. And most people won't care. If you go around trying to say "this is what the furry fandom is about, hugboxes and cuddles and fuzzy suits" most people will be like "that's nice" and then take your pamphlet and dump it in the nearest trashcan as they walk away. Most people just don't give a shit. Or, for those people who HAVE heard of the fandom in a negative fashion, being a bunch of people in ears and tails trying to convince them that it's NOT just a perverted hobby is not going to win many converts, because people are going to wonder if you're just lying to make yourself look good.

    The only way you will ever make the fandom look good is by doing, not saying. Those people who are in suit who do great things for charity go way farther to promote the furry fandom in a good way than any ranting on a soapbox (and then it all goes back downhill when someone goes on Dr. Phil).


    But this club seems determined to make the fandom look good, either because their founding members are very young and haven't been in the fandom a long time, so it's all new and fresh, or because the college is pressuring them to act. Either way they turn to me, being the oldest/longest-in-fandom member for advice. And all I can say is "to me it's a hobby I've never tried to promote it to anyone."

  7. #7
    Regular certifiedkowaidad's Avatar
    Weasyl
    certifiedkawaiidad
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    i'm jcfynx
    Posts
    35
    The fandom isn't important enough to merit a public relations campaign. It's not a rights issue or a significant source of identity. It's hardly even a coherent hobby. The whole question is silly. If I were in your place I'd suggest dismantling the club and just go out with each other to have a good time.

    First, your school is unlikely to have enough humanimals to merit dedicated classes on costuming or furry drawing. To draw furries you learn to draw people, then animals, then combine the two; go to a traditional art class to figure that out. Second, if the club doesn't have a good reason to exist other than "we want to get together and have a club," then a club is not the right vehicle for you. It will go the same way of role-playing and video game clubs that turn into glorified hangout sessions. Skip the middleman and meeting minutes and just hang out.

    Also, I know it's not what you're asking, but I'd like to respond with some caution to this whole idea. Furry is such a sex-centric fandom for a college club. There's precedent for sexually-based college clubs out there, such as Harvard University's Munch Club, but keep in mind that these clubs are run with a level of tact and social acumen not accessible to your average manimal. If your club identifies as Visibly Nerd, you're putting yourself in a precarious position, socially. It's inevitable you'll have one person who ruins it for everybody when she draws mouse boobs on her Intro to Political Science class and shows them off to everyone and the professor makes a big deal out of it and she gets on this soapbox about how they are all sexually repressed and it is her mission in life to open peoples' minds to alternate-species boobs and it just makes everything uncomfortable for everyone, I'm not saying that you can't have the mouse boobs I'm just saying that there's a time and a place for them and it is not in class and it is today, Jessica.

    Not that I've had any experience with that.

  8. #8
    Banned Benny Bunnycorn's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    138
    I hate the mindset some people, even "furries" have that it's better to just let people believe we are all sick-minded pedofiles and rapists who preform bestiality or such than to set the record straight. That it's more important that furries continue to be demonized than it is for us to even try and help our fandom out. Trying to promote the fandom does NOT teach people that we're sick. Those people just choose to think that way because they're idiots. If someone notices you're a furry, and just assumes you're a sick fuck and starts harassing you over it, are you just going to allow them to think that way? If you do, you're an idiot.

    Honestly, I think it's disgusting that we, like all who are bullied and ridiculed, are just supposed to allow people to bully and ridicule us instead of trying to stand up for ourselves.
    Last edited by Benny Bunnycorn; 02-28-2014 at 11:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Bunnycorn View Post
    I hate the mindset some people, even "furries" have that it's better to just let people believe we are all sick-minded pedofiles and rapists who preform bestiality or such than to set the record straight. That it's more important that furries continue to be demonized than it is for us to even try and help our fandom out. Trying to promote the fandom does NOT teach people that we're sick. Those people just choose to think that way because they're idiots. If someone notices you're a furry, and just assumes you're a sick fuck and starts harassing you over it, are you just going to allow them to think that way? If you do, you're an idiot.

    Honestly, I think it's disgusting that we, like all who are bullied and ridiculed, are just supposed to allow people to bully and ridicule us instead of trying to stand up for ourselves.
    What can we do. Thatīs how things work right now. I know is a really pessimistic view of the case but seeing how people see the fandom and overgeneralize over stuff I sincerely will expect a bad response from most of the people. Obviously getting bullied or mocked is a consequence but you rather learn to deal with it and get a bunch of people interested in it or you play it safe and avoid talking about it unless if for people you trust or members of the fandom. Will be worth it? Not everyone can deal with that the same way... I donīt know, Iīve rather play it safe.

    Besides the fact that the fandom has to many sexual based material, I agree with certifiedkowaidad on that aspect. Could be pretty difficult to promote in a healthy basis. I think is a bad idea.

  10. #10
    Banned Benny Bunnycorn's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Mugourth
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by AineCleine View Post
    What can we do. Thatīs how things work right now. I know is a really pessimistic view of the case but seeing how people see the fandom and overgeneralize over stuff I sincerely will expect a bad response from most of the people. Obviously getting bullied or mocked is a consequence but you rather learn to deal with it and get a bunch of people interested in it or you play it safe and avoid talking about it unless if for people you trust or members of the fandom. Will be worth it? Not everyone can deal with that the same way... I donīt know, Iīve rather play it safe.

    Besides the fact that the fandom has to many sexual based material, I agree with certifiedkowaidad on that aspect. Could be pretty difficult to promote in a healthy basis. I think is a bad idea.
    If it gets people to realize we're not all that bad, of coarse I'll promote it. Just doing nothing is like asking the fandom to die.

    Not really. Many of the "sexual aspects" of the furry fandom are greatly exaggerated. And what isn't is usually harmless. There's actually quite a tiny percentage of people in the furry fandom who actually want to rape real creatures or anything like that.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •