Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint

Denmark Bans Religious Slaughter

For the article: http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/20...ious-slaughter

Essentially, religious slaughter concerns the Jews and Muslims moreso than other religious groups. Kosher and halal slaughter involves cutting the trachea, esophagus, jugular veins, and carotid arteries in a single stroke while leaving the spinal column is left intact to ensure the animal stays alive until the blood has been drained from the body. Ideally, the rapid drop in blood pressure causes the animal to quickly lose consciousness, but studies have shown that it's rarely that simple.

Damage to the nervous system may cause the animal to die before exsanguination has taken place, rendering the meat non-kosher/haraam, and thus most ritual slaughter is performed without any form of stunning. Stunning being the act of rendering the animal unconscious before slaughtering it, which prevents the animal from suffering beforehand.

What do you think of this? Do you think everyone should be required to follow the same rules in order to limit animal suffering, or is that an intrusion on religious freedoms?

I personally don't see the point in worrying about whether an animal suffers a little before it dies, considering it was raised to be slaughtered in the first place. Predators have always killed prey, and I doubt it would be any more pleasant to be ripped apart in the wild.

The animal is gonna be dead in a short period of time anyway, I don't really see the need to be nit-picky about it.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    ZaryaRaccoon
    I didn't know this even happens in the west.

Weasyl
    Shark Bones
    I support anything that fucks with organized religion.

OH MY GOD I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MY WHOLE LIFE!!!!
    MEAT NEEDS NOT SUFFER WHARGBLBAGARF
    Or then not

Not a biggie for us, but I can bet jews and muslims will be pretty agitated about that.

Weasyl
    Dreaming
    Oh yeah, I heard about this a few days ago. Goddammit Denmark... FOR SØREN

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Humans have created the livestock you see today through selective breeding, they are ours to own and look after, this includes taking care to make sure that they live and die in the most humane ways possible.
    I'm in support of the ban on religious slaughter, I think it's irresponsible to sacrifice humane ways of killing in favor of less-humane ways for reasons that have to do with religion - it's stupid.
    The most humane ways to kill cattle is via captive bolt stun gun, this renders the animal insensitive to pain, but it's still alive and the throat is able to be cut so that it can bleed out. Why is this method not used? It achieves the same purpose - animal still alive while blood is being drained, but it's much more humane.

Weasyl
    CrazyLee
    Maybe we should ban religion?

Hah. Denmark bans religious slaughter. STILL SLAUGHTERS GIRAFFES DUE TO INCONVENIENCE!

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyLee View Post
    Hah. Denmark bans religious slaughter. STILL SLAUGHTERS GIRAFFES DUE TO INCONVENIENCE!
    Please do a little more research on the Marius giraffe situation. I'll sum it up:
    - Denmark has laws against inbreeding captive animals, to ensure that the genes and health of captive animals remains top-notch.
    - It's near impossible to sedate a giraffe to castrate it without the risk of severe organ damage due to the massive amounts of chemicals, this includes chemical sterilization.
    - Numerous zoos offered to take the giraffe, but all of their giraffes were related to Marius and thus were unsuitable homes.
    - Zoos do this kind of thing all the time, they just do it behind the scenes.
    - Marius's body was fed to lions, it was a free, healthy meal for fellow zoo animals instead of being thrown in the trash and wasted.
    - Marius's body was dissected for free education to children who wished to see.

I just want suffering to be minimized.