Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Kat

Favorite book thread

Tell me all about your favorite book! What do you like most about it? Plot? Writing style? Characters?

My personal favorite is Princess Bride. Its such a classic adventure tale and its just so funny and compellingly written. I have to say I don't like the movie as much (Its a great movie don't get me wrong but the book man, the book is just better)

I think I like it so much because I read it in the hospital and it really cheered me up so I just feel like I have such a connection to the book.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    It's a tossup between Crime and Punishment and 1984. Both brilliant novels, although I think 1984 wins just for re-readability. 700 some pages is pretty tough to chew on the second time around when you already know all the plot twists and stuff.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    Don't really have a favorite book. But anything from Hunter S. Thompson or Terry Pratchett is amazing.

Weasyl
    Tiido
    I seem to read only technical literature lately. Currently I'm reading "tööstuselektroonika alused" (basics of industrial electronics) by J. Issakov, A. Platonov, V. Rudenko, V. Senko, V. Trifonyuk and J. Judin. Transistors and stuff kick ass haha.

Weasyl
    Monster Tamer Billy
    My all-time favorite is "211 Things a Bright Boy Can Do", by Tom Cutler.

It's a pretty humorous book about stuff from day-by-day that you should learn but nobody teaches. Like how to properly paint a door, tips on how to taste wine, how to put together a homemade , 3-day survival kit in a tin, some card games, how to make a farting gizmo, some few lines about how to insult people in spanish, that kinda thing XD

What I like the most is, much of the stuff in this book is actual useful advice, but it's hard to take it seriously even so. There's even a version for the ladies, "211 Things a Clever Girl Can Do", if anyone's interested. 10/10, still reading it after 4 years.

Weasyl
    Pine
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will always be my favorite book. Douglas Adams has a unique sense of humor that manages to be silly without dumbing anything down.

Weasyl
    Dire Newt
    Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

As ridiculous as it is to try and pick an absolute favourite, the first books that come to mind are City at the End of Time and Blood Music, both by Greg Bear.
    City at the End of Time is nearly incomprehensible, while Blood Music is a little lighter in terms of readability and understanding. (though hardly less profound)

In terms of non-fiction, at the risk of coming off as "look-at-me-I'm-so-intelligent-and-hipster," I have to say Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter.
    That book is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine View Post
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy will always be my favorite book. Douglas Adams has a unique sense of humor that manages to be silly without dumbing anything down.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide is one of those books you can pick up over and over and still be charmed by.
    It's always so refreshing, though I often forget that it exists. I really need to buy my own copy.

Weasyl
    irick
    The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts: And Other Tales translated by William Scott Wilson is a current favorite of mine.

It's so hard to drill down to my all time favorite book. In terms of story 2001: A Space Odyssey is probably my favorite novel of all time. It has a nice plot, introduces some interesting concepts and critiques society like any good science fiction story should.

In terms of literary faffery Catcher in the Rye tugs at my heart strings. I love the use of the literary passive voice to give us that sort of detachment that the narrator feels for his past actions and self. Just <3. Holden: I sort of, feel you.

And then there is my favorite book from an 'experience holding it in the hand and reading it' is a specific copy of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer published by Harper & Brothers in 1938. It was given to my on my literal birthday by close family friends. The binding is great. The paper has a nice feel to it and you can just see the indentations from the letter press.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote