Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How fast do you type?

Weasyl
    LeoTheDog

How fast do you type?

On a good day I can break 95 WPM.

If I'm just casually typing out an essay or something, I'll hover around a comfortable 50 wpm.
    I wanted to know, how fast do you type? I consider myself pretty fast.

It'd also be cool if you answered with how long you've been interacting with computers. My mom introduced me to computers at an early age because she knew they'd be important to me in the future.
    So I've been using computers for about 12 years.
    Last edited by LeoTheDog; 02-19-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Depends on the mood. I can type like a speed demon without looking if I'm in a heated debate, but then there's other times I'll hover one finger over the keyboard lookin for the letter (usually when I'm half asleep). xD

Weasyl
    Tiido
    Depends on language and other factors, but I am pretty slow - 30...60wpm. Middle finger of left hand and index and middle of right hand do the typing here haha and I look at the keyboard very often. One day I'll learn to type "properly"...

Weasyl
    LeoTheDog
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiido View Post
    Depends on language and other factors, but I am pretty slow - 30...60wpm. Middle finger of left hand and index and middle of right hand do the typing here haha and I look at the keyboard very often. One day I'll learn to type "properly"...
    It comes with practice just like anything else. I took a keyboarding class in 8th grade but that didn't help at all. It wasn't until my freshman year of highschool did I actually start to type correctly because I was on the computer so much more than I was.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I can't remember the last time that I tried to clock myself, but I've been told by people observing me that I'm pretty damn fast. The way I place my hands is kinda unorthodox though, so I think I've hit somewhat of a wall.

edit: I have tons of practice. I used to do a lot of internet roleplaying (I'm talking hours a day at times) on top of schoolwork, which at my school was pretty essay intensive.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I think the last time I took a test it was upper-90's or 100.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I have to glance the keyboard to figure out where to put my fingers, but I can type pretty well without looking, after that. I make a shit ton of mistakes, though. I tend to do that in hand-writing though, too. I might just have some kind of visual problem.

I can type... at a decent pace, I would say? I've never been calculated on it. I'm not stupidly slow, but not really fast, either.

And I didn't really start actually, majorly using computers (and the internet, for that matter) until I was 14 or 15, when we had internet in our house for the first time.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    Ranguvar
    Incredibly slow, just took a test and scored 25 wpm. I didn't start regularly using computers until I was 18 so I haven't had that much practice. I haven't used a keyboard much at the jobs I have had either ;/.

Weasyl
    RedLeFrench
    I'm a slow writer. I usually try to plan out every sentence I'm writing, so it takes from 40 to 55 minutes to write the equivalent of a page. This message took me a minute to write, to to be fair it is 1 in the morning here and I'm about to pass out on my keyboard soooo... Peace.
    This link might contain cookies. Spoilers : it does not, it's just a trap link towards something I write. Sorry...

10.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
    Weasyl
    Taw
    Took a typing test over at http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/english

First result: http://i.imgur.com/Dye8SC4.png

Second result: http://i.imgur.com/tRujv4D.png

Third result: http://i.imgur.com/E44zWsX.png

Seems like I hover around 97 to 102 WPM with minor mistakes.

I've been using the computers and the internet quite a bit, starting around 2000 or 2001. Used to hang out on tons of chat rooms and such, as well as play a lot of online games and post on forums. I don't use the home row setup either, my hands are all over the place and it's comfortable to me and works well. I've also use a mechanical keyboard which may help with my typing - I use cherry mx red caps, so not much pressure is needed to type.

Default resting position for my fingers:

left hand: pinky - hovers over shift, ring - a, middle - w, pointer - d, thumb - space
    right hand: pinky - hovers over shift and enter, ring - ;, middle - l, pointer - m, thumb - space or not on any key (below spacebar essentially)

Though sometimes I'll have 'em setup on WASD because of gaming habits.