Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Advertisement system?

Weasyl
    lupussle
    Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    Not everyone is using an android or rooted phone
    Don't need to, I used Firefox Mobile and I can use the Adblock Plus extension on my phone. Sorted!

Not everyone is using an android or rooted phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Don't need to, I used Firefox Mobile and I can use the Adblock Plus extension on my phone. Sorted!
    That's the point I'd have made to counter the rooting. However the only counter I can think of for iPhone/anything else is to buy a decent device people can code plugins for

In all seriousness, revenue has to come from somewhere so either ads will be wherever the site staff decide they should be and that's that, or they might have a premium opt-out as suggested. Beyond that, there's really no other options besides charging mandatory memberships which would be daft.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I don't have a problem with ads if handled right, just offering some counters because I can see how it can interfere with mobile devices.

The other problem I could see is that if the saturation of advertisements are furry or fetishes oriented this will pull away from the objective of it trying to be a general art site. Sure the solution is add a filter, but that works mainly for registered users and not a new one browsing the site debating on joining.

The other problem I could see is that if the saturation of advertisements are furry or fetishes oriented this will pull away from the objective of it trying to be a general art site.
    That's actually a good point - I forgot that Weasyl wasn't meant for just furry arts, though I wonder if and how they would tackle an over-saturated amount of ads geared towards one particular market? I would be curious to see if they had special categories for the ads for submission purposes, and maybe a sort of 'database' users could access to look through those ads depending on the category it was submitted to (I can see this getting messy real quick, so maybe not quite a system like this).

Would the ads be filtered to 'general' for visitors and react to the mature settings we set for ourselves? I think that would be welcomed by a lot of people.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    I imagine that by default the ads would be more for general audiences, but you can still have an ad that is fetish oriented if you're just worried about the content rating of the ad itself. So procuring different advertisements would be great. It just depends on what companies for example like art supply stores wouldn't mind the content of the site in general - but they would be the revenue generators than just community advertisements.

You'd need a mix of both.

Weasyl
    Flygon
    I hate to bump up a topic, but I must note myself that I am quite enthusiastic for any future advertisement system. With regards to adult oriented advertisements though, I'm with insanejoker, I see no harm in letting users filter what sort of ads they can get sent to them.

If an adult oriented website or company wants to risk advertising on a website where people can choose not to view their ads at will via a simple checkbox in their profile, it's a risk for the company to take.

Weasyl
    xarg
    Please don't forget the advertiser's perspective, especially if the site is going to allow adult oriented advertisement. Questionable juxtapositions are something that I would imagine many advertisers want to avoid (i.e. disallow adult adverts next to non-adult ones, some advertisers might wish for their ads not to be displayed with adult contexts at all). In addition to that there are considerations that might affect the payment processor if adult material is involved in the advertisement revenue.

If you're rolling your own ad-serving system there are other things an advertiser would care about, such as how many real click-throughs/displays they get for the payment. If the ads are time-restricted instead of displays and users can choose what kinds of ads they receive, there are problems such as minimum display amount (which are already a problem because of ad-blockers). As an advertiser, I wouldn't pay for ad space that never reaches the end user for whatever reason.

It all depends on what the true goal of the advertisement system is. Is it supposed to be revenue for the site, or is it supposed to be a pay-to-feature service for users of the site. If it's the latter, should there be features other than ad banners, such as re-lifting artwork to the front-page? And what should be done about oversaturation, i.e. too many ads in the system contra the amount of users receiving them. Should a user be allowed to have more than one ad running at any one time?

Just something to think about.

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I hate to bump up a topic,
    it's better than creating yet another thread. that should be listed in the forum rules or something: nobody cares about 'thread necromancy'.