Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Can't really do this test when 90% of the questions get me asking if it applies to my char or not since he is in a world where those things are all normal.

The only one I can really tick are the "You like his abilities" and "you like his uniform"

Netting me around 12 for Enfys.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I remember this. This was something I discovered a long time ago, and it actually really helped me out in terms of creating better characters; first time I took it, the protagonist of my novel scored pretty damned high... like 40 or 50 or something. Just for fun I ran the same character through it again just now, as he is now, and apparently he's down to a 6, which the site says might be too boring. Obviously this test is just a basic guideline; you want to make sure your characters are appropriate for whatever you're writing, is the take-away point as I gather it. But it can still be handy if you're concerned that you're going completely off the deep end.

I'm guessing most of my characters now probably score between 0 and 10, because that's just the way I roll these days. I do notice, though, that very few of these questions directly address the issue of personality. Like someone pointed out up there, you can have the Mary-Sue-iest character ever, like the Doctor, but you still love him because he's just so much fun.

My fursona is a zero.

Also as a head's up some of these litmus tests don't really mention whether or not your character is a "sue", very often they contain questions the person(s) who wrote the test don't like seeing used in fiction.

I like how choosing to have your characters be single at the end of the story is a de-suifier. Does this count even if there's no romance in the story at all?
    Last edited by Digitalpotato; 02-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    My fursona is a zero.

Also as a head's up some of these litmus tests don't really mention whether or not your character is a "sue", very often they contain questions the person(s) who wrote the test don't like seeing used in fiction.

I like how choosing to have your characters be single at the end of the story is a de-suifier. Does this count even if there's no romance in the story at all?
    I'm still amused at "mostly black clothes" being an indicator.

By that logic, I am the Sue-iest.
    Resident Koopa Trash

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post

Most of those traits don't really make a mary-sue on their own. I think the maker of the test uses a cooking analogy somewhere in there, a little bit of seasoning can make a dish much tastier, but if you add too much and in a way that doesn't make sense, you'll probably spoil it.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post

Especially if you might actually have a reason for that.

"Uh... I'm wearing an outfit that's required by my job to be mostly black...."
    "OMG MARY SUE!!!!"

Weasyl
    Vae
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conner View Post
    Most of those traits don't really make a mary-sue on their own. I think the maker of the test uses a cooking analogy somewhere in there, a little bit of seasoning can make a dish much tastier, but if you add too much and in a way that doesn't make sense, you'll probably spoil it.
    I understand that, but black clothing isn't really a "spice," either. Someone could wear a black t-shirt and dark jeans, and look pretty plain, but still constitute as "wearing mostly black clothes."

Hell, I would consider bright clothing to be far more of a "spice".

Nothing about the option says anything about the outfit being particularly noticeable or special.
    It did also say "cool-looking" and "all leather", but those are also very easily made mundane. So is "sexy and revealing."
    "Impractical" is the absolute only thing that would really fit in this scenario. And it's an extra check mark, not the initial / only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalpotato View Post
    Especially if you might actually have a reason for that.

"Uh... I'm wearing an outfit that's required by my job to be mostly black...."
    "OMG MARY SUE!!!!"
    "I threw on my black t-shirt, black pajama pants, black Docs, and black jacket to go buy tampons at Walmart.
    I placed my black sunglasses upon my face so as not to broadcast my pained, tired expression to the rest of the public, while my uterus tried to eat itself alive."

SUCH MARY SUE. SO OP.
    Last edited by Vae; 02-27-2014 at 04:28 AM.
    Resident Koopa Trash

8.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #18
    Weasyl
    MLR
    I'm pretty sure it means 'wears mostly black all the time', as in the trope people use to imply bad-assery (e.g. The Matrix). I'm sure you can think of a badass who wears a black trenchcoat and black leather gloves and black leather boots over a black shirt and black jeans with black sunglasses even outside in the middle of summer in the Bahamas, because they're just so awesome that the heat doesn't even bother them. Or whatever. Not 'wears black uniform for work'.

And anyway, this is clearly written for tweens who write awful self-insert fanfiction. If you're more mature than that you probably don't need to be taking this test.

Weasyl
    MakePupsNotWar
    I mostly like suggesting the test to obnoxious roleplayers who's characters I know would score very high if they answered the questions honestly, hehe.
    Yeah? well, y'know...that's just like, your opinion, man.

Like Chess? Play with me! Just drop me a PM whenever you're down. I have a chess.com account, and I can also set up a game with you on lichess (no subscription process or login required) whenever you like.

^ Ugh, yes. >.<; one reason I've left a few RPs was because some people were basically making their characters into physical gods, and in order to catch up we all had to constantly start giving our characters major buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank LeRenard View Post

And anyway, this is clearly written for tweens who write awful self-insert fanfiction. If you're more mature than that you probably don't need to be taking this test.
    Especially because Mary Sue has changed a lot over the years - like how recently, it's become "Character I don't like". Personally I feel a Mary Sue is a character who the author is a little TOO proud of and works in as much as possible, even if it's absolutely contrived. ("We can't go an entire scene without this guy coming in!") Or doesn't have any conflict at ALL because they instantly solve everything - they're always right, they get away with murder, sucks up all the screentime whenever they appear on-screen, everyone constantly talks about how awesome this person is when they never back things up, they never screw up and if they do, never face penalties for it.
    Last edited by Digitalpotato; 02-28-2014 at 12:42 PM.