Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    He mentioned input lag not being an issue. That specific issue is addressed by fighting game tournament monitor requirements, where hundredths of a second means victory or defeat. Not saying Ashes' friend is going to be slapping sticks and mashing buttons like that, but input lag still bones me over with most TVs I've used.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Considering fighting game competitions only allow specific types of monitors for use during tournaments, no.
    Oh okay, everybody go out and buy a 15KHz CRT.

EDIT: Input lag for most games isn't an issue on LCD TV's, and fighting game tournaments are an extreme example. Most game modes on TV's bring input lag down to the panel's response time, which is usually pretty half decent. Unless you're a total snob about it and specifically want to cap your screen to 480i/240p, you really don't need to worry about whether or not it's a CRT.
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-17-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I use a CRT for my non-HDMI consoles specifically for that reason, so, done.
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    I use a CRT for my non-HDMI consoles specifically for that reason, so, done.
    Okay then. The point is you really don't have to, and while it's going to be used for classic gaming, this is a PC we're talking about, and most people rarely want to hook a PC up to an old CRT, let alone actually have one in their living room.

So, front ends?

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Seems to me like RetroArch is probably the best way to go for a PC frontend, though GameEx might also work. On Mac OS X, OpenEmu looks pretty great, but it has stability issues with large ROM collections last I tried it.

I found a nice writeup on NeoGaf with experiences for RetroArch that might be interesting for you. It seems like it's pretty much perfect in that the (custom) borders actually look nice and can be used to mask the fact that you're even-multiplying the screen up to size instead of interpolating, plus it has screen filters that emulate the original screens. The whole thing can also be controlled by your selected input device Steam BPM-like, so you can add a link to RetroArch in Steam BPM and go between the two without touching a keyboard.

Also, here's a listing of all the cores available for the underlying libretro.
    Last edited by Runefox; 02-17-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Seems to me like RetroArch is probably the best way to go for a PC frontend, though GameEx might also work. On Mac OS X, OpenEmu looks pretty great, but it has stability issues with large ROM collections last I tried it.

I found a nice writeup on NeoGaf with experiences for RetroArch that might be interesting for you. It seems like it's pretty much perfect in that the (custom) borders actually look nice and can be used to mask the fact that you're even-multiplying the screen up to size instead of interpolating, plus it has screen filters that emulate the original screens. The whole thing can also be controlled by your selected input device Steam BPM-like, so you can add a link to RetroArch in Steam BPM and go between the two without touching a keyboard.

Also, here's a listing of all the cores available for the underlying libretro.
    The current OpenEmu seems to work fine in it's stable build, but sadly that would mean you'd lose out on the extra emulators of more powerful/recent systems. It'd be ideal if you run a Mac or Hackintosh though.