Weasyl
    Tica

in the market for a lamination machine -- suggestions?

Before now I usually took my stuff to a print shop and got it laminated there for like $1.50 a sheet or whatever, but I'm reaching the point where I make enough badges for people/obtain enough digital badges for myself that it would be more prudent to buy a lamination machine and envelopes rather than keep going to the print shop.

I looked briefly on amazon at different models but the multiplicity of 1-star reviews that say something like, "my art was ruined!!" or "the machine broke after the 3rd time I used it" make me leery of buying something I have no experience with. And when I went to an actual bricks-and-mortar store, the only model they had available cost over $100 and was pretty big.

I need something at least 9" wide and for $50 or less. If you could tell me what model you use and where you bought it, that would be great!

Honestly, I cannot think of seeing a good laminator for 50 or under that is actually reliable. If the case is that all the cheap laminators are ruining what's being laminated, it would be a safe bet to just bite the bullet and by a more expensive but reliable machine.

It is a good idea to note /what/ was being laminated in the negative reviews. Glossy images usually bubble, some papers (like receipts) might discolor in reaction to the heat, etc. If a cheaper, thinner 3mil lamination pouch was being used, maybe that didn't work well with thicker paper? Thicker paper does tend to leave an 'edge' in the lamination around the paper, so you can't cut it out too close to the paper edge or else it will unseal itself and be difficult to seal back up (which can ruin something).

Amazon does have some interesting laminating machines. Fellowes Laminating Machine I have used something like this in an office with 3mil lamination. It worked pretty well and managed to handle our abuse.

I work at one of those places that charge 1.50 for a lamination sheet (it's expensivei'msorry!). If you want to think about it some more, you can at least ask if there are coupons for copy and print areas or lamination etc.

Weasyl
    Tica
    I'm definitely the kind of person who prefers to spend more money on something quality than to buy something cheap simply because it is cheap. However, on the same note, I don't have a lot of disposable income this year.

For now I think I will simply have to keep going to the print shop. At least you can fit multiple badges on the $1.50 sheet.