Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Female / Male Icons?

Weasyl
    N/A

Female / Male Icons?

I was wondering if there's a option to put your gender in your profile/have it show along with your posts (say like in a small image so it doesn't cluster too much)? If there isn't, would it be much trouble adding in say a option to click female, male, both, other or n/a? It's not a huge deal, rather it's just something I've been wondering about.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    I was wondering if there's a option to put your gender in your profile/have it show along with your posts (say like in a small image so it doesn't cluster too much)? If there isn't, would it be much trouble adding in say a option to click female, male, both, other or n/a? It's not a huge deal, rather it's just something I've been wondering about.
    no. for one thing, this wouldn't be keeping with weasyl's established behavior of letting 'gender' be a freeform field instead of one with limited options.

however, this might make more sense if a user could choose a short string to appear with their posts if they wanted to. something in which the user could write whatever they wanted.

either way, are you talking about on the mainsite or on the forums?

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    I'd only agree with this, if it was a freeform field like on the site, too... I quite enjoy identifying as "Bread", but I'm easily amused.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    It might be handy on both in terms of people just referring to what you'd like to be referred to. It cuts down as "Well I'm a male/female/etc.. please refer me to this" kinds of posts. I'm sure you can figure out a solution.

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    On a serious note, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Some people like to tell people what they ID as... but I don't think it should be forced, is what I mean. I genuinely like saying "I'm bread." just because I'm silly. It's sort of a statement, I guess, since I don't like gender roles, but seriously... I agree, but only if it's optional.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by weykent View Post
    no. for one thing, this wouldn't be keeping with weasyl's established behavior of letting 'gender' be a freeform field instead of one with limited options.

however, this might make more sense if a user could choose a short string to appear with their posts if they wanted to. something in which the user could write whatever they wanted.

either way, are you talking about on the mainsite or on the forums?
    I didn't mean to strike a cord, sorry. I guess if someone was really interested in ones gender they could easily find out from just going to their main weasyl page. And it was just for the forums as the main page already has a place to input your gender.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I support the ability to type in what gender you are.

Weasyl
    Runefox
    Or you could just do what Facebook did and make a nice big long list. Because I guess that's easier than just typing it in?

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Runefox View Post
    Or you could just do what Facebook did and make a nice big long list. Because I guess that's easier than just typing it in?
    I don't know, I think the suggestion was for the forums so people know how to refer to you properly?

Weasyl
    pinardilla
    Only as long as there's an option to enter your own string.
         
       
    Now,
              let's go play, together...
       
    Together under the
                     clearest of
    blue skies.