Blacklist by submitter

This is a feature that functions extremely well on e621 and I would greatly like to see here. I'm really sorry to say that a number of submitters are extremely bad artists, to such an extent that it actually greatly degrades my experience on this site (as horribly elitist and douchebaggy as it sounds, it's true for me).

I can't think of any way to implement an "art quality" scale that won't be abused or get extremely wacky over time, so the only solution I can think of is to allow users to blacklist artwork by submitter.

Weasyl
    Trianine
    There may be some site issues on this front, but you can choose to ignore users which will prevent you from looking at their artwork. Settings>Ignore User

It currently does not prevent thumbnails from generating. And we need a site staff member to say what the intended behavior should actually be. But you could use it for that purpose. Bear in mind, this will actively keep you from communicating with that user, which would prevent you from having a healthy debate with someone who you would enjoy greatly if not for their art.

I believe that fledgeling site Furry Art Pile allowed this back before it closed, now long, long ago. It wasn't specifically for users to block "bad art" but it was functional if a user had that in mind, and wouldn't prevent you from interacting with the person completely. It just treated the users name as a tag to be blacklisted as if it were some weird and disgusting fetish.

And I wouldn't mind seeing this as a more complete feature if it were reasonable to implement.

Weasyl
    Sax
    I would love such a feature for the browse page. I remember using on the VCL, the VCL sieve Peganthyrus had coded, to be able to filter out people posting drawing quality too low for me to want to look at it regularly.
    I thought about hitting the ignore button, but then it blocks them from ever interacting with me and it would be awkward to block someone who might be watching me now or in the future.

Weasyl
    Zeta-Neubourn
    I really hate to agree with this. I really do. :U I mean, I believe every artist deserves an equal shot, but some people just... don't... bother trying to improve. I know a guy that asks for feedback on how to improve, but then you tell 'em and he's all "No, that's dumb." Like it's been said, though, I wouldn't want to outright block them, as Sax said... they could very well end up watching you later.

I 'unno if this would be a great idea, though. What if said person improves and it happens to be relevant to your interests? I mean, you're searching for something you wanna look at, right? Then you encounter the person you want to ignore. They're no good, so you ignore them. Sometime later, they get much better and it's relevant your interests. How would you know? You're ignoring the person, so it wouldn't show up. (I'm speaking in terms if there were no thumbnails or anything related to that user. They don't exsist to you outside of their comments here and there, in other words.)

I mean, on one hand I agree. It'd be good to weed out people that have no aspirations to improve their art or they're Facebooking their profile or something or post nothing but art that isn't theirs (Yeah, I know, people like doing that with commissions they pay for, but I'd rather see and give credit to the original artist) ... but on the other hand, if it's someone genuinely trying, I wouldn't want to punish them for that.

I 'unno. I guess I can't say if I'm for or against it. It be great in some cases, but I can't help but feel it'd punish some people that are actually trying. I remember my first art posts on dA... and they suuuuucked. ^^; If they had a system like that, I might not have gotten as far as I have as far as art goes. I've gotten better and I'd say I'm... average, but I bet some people would still block me because I'm not super good. I wouldn't think that's fair, though. I'd understand, though, but other might not understand... then you get drama aaaaand... wow, I'm rambling.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts.

Weasyl
    Trianine
    That is the beauty of communities. Someone who doesn't inspire or awe you gets your IGNORE, until they do something awesome, and then everyone is talking about it and you actually go and see what the buzz is about. If it's relevant to your interests, either you will be keeping your ear to the ground, or you won't be missing out on something you don't know existed.

I mean, I don't agree with the sentiment of "So and So is a bad artist and should feel bad". But if someone consistently creates things that you don't like, it would be nice to just hide their submissions without giving them the gag and mute.