Weasyl
    RedLeFrench

Breaking down your stories

While planning on the writing of Leo Davis, I realized something quite obvious, but still annoying nonetheless : people tend to flee your texts if they see the scroll bar being tiny. Basically, when I wrote a 10 page review for Pokémon X on the French website I work with, people saw that the text wasn't segmented (despite having quite numerous paragraphs, it was still on the same page) and they basically retreated without asking questions.

So that is why I've decided to do something that people judged quite clever with the French version of LD : break down each chapters into tiny sections. Better yet, make it a daily publication, with a small fragment of the chapter delivered each day (when the whole chapter is already finished, of course). After publication of all the parts, write down a "complete edition" of the chapter for those that are annoyed by changing pages and you basically have something for everyone.

Then again, that is only possible if the text has enough space to make cuts (I use the good ol' cliffhanger), but I think that releasing 2 pages max worth of content daily can make your text more... Easier for the reader to get through. It is all about psychological barriers and how to make the best of them in order to satisfy everyone ♪

Good advice ? Difficult to do ? Discuss !
    This link might contain cookies. Spoilers : it does not, it's just a trap link towards something I write. Sorry...

2.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #2
    Smart thinking. It might turn a few people off, but it's a great way to keep whatever you're writing exposed. Basically it's like chopping it up to increase the surface area for absorption of more views and input. :3 I'm going to try this, actually. Might encourage me to keep up with my writing more!

Weasyl
    N/A
    I've been doing that for my stories because it's just easier.

It's easier to stay interested when each chapter has it's only little plot. It's like a mini-story type of thing.
    It's easier to edit. I'd get lost when I'm doing several pages. Should I want to change something in the middle, better find it first. With small chunks, I can go edit it no problem.

I do like the idea of having a piece that's just completed as well as chapters. I might just do that :3
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Having each chapter goes over 3000 words and the recent one in the 4k zone, I might as well start doing this now. It's true that people will be turned off by long stories. If I wasn't the one writing it, I would skip it immediately when I notice that the pdf was 10 pages long.
    Last edited by Zeitzbach; 02-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Weasyl
    RedLeFrench
    This can be used for the better, buuut, there is one thing I didn't think of, that can make or break this process : know how to do cuts. You need to be strategic about it. There's nothing worse than having a scene involuntarily interrupted mid dialog if it isn't for a good reason. See where you can place a good cliffhanger in order to let the reader on its toes for the next 24 hours without pissing him too much off. Also, don't place said cliffhangers at the end of every part, once every 2 or 3 parts, it's cool, as it can get pretty grating.

It's all about knowing when and where to put a bookmark ^^
    This link might contain cookies. Spoilers : it does not, it's just a trap link towards something I write. Sorry...