Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84

    Books and Periodicals: The Joys in all Forms of Text (Discussion and Recomendations)

    Last edited by irick; 02-15-2014 at 04:08 AM. Reason: added sexy, sexy book porn.

  2. #2
    Some place you might like.

    https://archive.org/details/texts

    It's got a huge selection of old books. There is also a music archive. Some really cool stuff. Great place to go and listen to something completely different.

  3. #3
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Cause the Rat View Post
    Some place you might like.

    https://archive.org/details/texts

    It's got a huge selection of old books. There is also a music archive. Some really cool stuff. Great place to go and listen to something completely different.
    Yeah, archive.org is a nice resource for a lot of public domain/creative commons stuff.
    Specifically for books, i'd recommend looking up project Gutenberg. It's pretty amazing.

  4. #4
    Junior SpixPanda's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Spixpanda
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    11
    Now this is my kind of thread, ha ha. I am an avid fan of collecting and reading books for myself. I am not knowledgeable on the topic of book collecting by any means, and I am still working my way through a lot of the classics, but I sure as hell love every minute of it. My library consists almost entirely of the fantasy genre, with a large chunk of them being anything at all with "dragon" in the title, from my middle and high school days. Recently I've been adding the works of Sir Conan Doyle and Agitha Christie, a bit of old sci-fi novels as they catch my eye, and the odd recommended book here and there (Ya Ya Sisterhood, what even are you). I think DragonLance novels take up most of my shelves/piles, though.

    If I had to give a recommendation, I think my first choice will always, and without a doubt, be the Journeys of the Catechist series by Alan Dean Foster. It's a three part saga, and it touched my imagination in a way I've seldom felt more uniquely. The main character is very calm and zen-like, and has great personal conviction. He is not a good man, or a bad man, he is just a man, and it's perfect. Though I love to read, I am actually terrible with words, and trying to sum up a book that was such a personal experience feels like a waste of time, ha ha. If you find yourself with the time, please check this book out. Just try the first one, and see how you like it, if not all three~

  5. #5
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Just to save people a bit of google-fu, here are SpixPanda's recomendations:

    Journeys of the Catechist

    Carnivores of Light and Darkness (1998) ISBN 0-446-52132-9
    Into the Thinking Kingdoms (1999) ISBN 0-446-52136-1
    A Triumph of Souls (2000) ISBN 0-446-52218-X

    I haven't yet started on the series, but I will definitely take a look. I am familiar with Dinotopia though.

  6. #6
    Junior melk's Avatar
    Weasyl
    melk
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    20
    Currently trying to scale the monolithic Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

    Also, I recently listened to this commencement speech that Wallace gave to a graduating class. It is very powerful and I highly recommend giving it a listen.


  7. #7
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Currently trying to scale the monolithic Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace.

    Also, I recently listened to this commencement speech that Wallace gave to a graduating class. It is very powerful and I highly recommend giving it a listen.
    That was a good speech.

    The book seems pretty far into the meta, and absurdity is right up my ally. I will take a look at it, if i can follow it
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  8. #8
    Junior melk's Avatar
    Weasyl
    melk
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by irick View Post
    That was a good speech.

    The book seems pretty far into the meta, and absurdity is right up my ally. I will take a look at it, if i can follow it
    It's not that hard of a read, it's just SUUUPER long. I'm not too far in, but it's really awesome so far.

    I'm trying to get into Isaac Asimov. I saw that you had read a lot of his work and was wondering if you had any suggestions for what to read first?

  9. #9
    Regular irick's Avatar
    Weasyl
    irick
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    It's not that hard of a read, it's just SUUUPER long. I'm not too far in, but it's really awesome so far.

    I'm trying to get into Isaac Asimov. I saw that you had read a lot of his work and was wondering if you had any suggestions for what to read first?
    Asimov [link to his suggested list] tended to prefer people start at the beginning chronologically. Personally, my first book of his was the very Foundation of my love for science fiction. (:3)

    Either way, you can't go wrong though. Asimov is an excellent SiFi author.
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.
    -- Carl Sagan

    I'm on furnet IRC! Please drop by irc.furnet.org's #hackerfurs and say hi.

  10. #10
    Senior sassySloth's Avatar
    Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    MA USA
    Posts
    465
    I just started reading The Necronomicon and it's so gooood. So dark and engrossing. I can't believe I' never thought to read it before, it's perfect.
    Watch me swooce right in.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •