Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Snow.

Weasyl
    spits

Snow.

i just got back from walking in in-between knee and thigh high snow for some booze and caffeine. we just got a huge snowstorm here in VA that left my area with about 20" of snow, give or take. a few spots have over two feet, i've measured!

Now i know some of our forum goers are used to weather like this but this is a HUGE deal for the area i'm in. the last snow we got even close to this was in 2009, and before that was more than ten years, i think. i love the snow and i love when we get this much but i can't imagine living in a place where we got this stuff more than once a year!

Do you love snow, or is it something you dread every time you hear it is a possibility?

Weasyl
    whiteicepanther
    I have a love-hate relationship with snow. It's beautiful to look at, can be a ton of fun to play in, and sometimes that brisk cold air in your lungs is super invigorating. On the other hand...I hate brushing off my car, I hate driving in the slush/ice/snow, and sometimes it gets well below 0 degrees Fahrenheit and that isn't so fun.

I live in an area were we can get pelted with quite a bit of snow. Though the last couple years were extremely odd cause we hardly had any. But usually, we have at least 1-2ft deep most of the winter. We used to get up to 4-5ft at times and a few decades ago have seen blizzards that covered the first floor for most houses. Course those were before my time. But I think it's be exciting to see that happen again.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Im half and half. I hate it because it turns to ice which isn't fuin to drive on to work, but love the beauty. Like the branches of every tree frozen on both sides of the road. One neat thing I saw this year though was when it got to below zero I drove alongside the Ohio River and the whole river was under a blanket of steam becaue the river was warmer than the air. Louisville looked like a smoggy picture of San Francisco.

Weasyl
    willy
    I'm impartial to snow. I like it but don't like having to do work in it. Especially when it's still coming down. Same goes for rain. Other than that I'm fine with it.

We get at least one good snowstorm every year around this time. It gets worse the further up north you go though. And normally around this time the temperatures can sometimes get into the single digits but we had that Polar Vortex thing and so temperatures went even lower than that. In addition to the 10+ inches of snow that came with it.

It actually snowed a bit today but most of it's already melting.

Weasyl
    MEEHOO
    There hasn't been much snow at all over here just rain.
    I like snow I don't work outside travel isn't too difficult and it looks nice

Although I hate when snow freezes over and becomes an icy solid death trap

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I just got done shoveling the two feet so we can get our cars out... I hate snow with a passion. I have never liked it. Maryland has not gotten snow like this in a while and the last time I lived in South Carolina.

Weasyl
    Ibuuyk
    I like the cold but other than that, I hate snow (which is ironical since I live in the land of snow) 'cause it's too bright and it hurts my eyes. Why can't snow be another color than white >.>

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    I looove snow. Any snow. I love going for walks in the morning when it's snowy :)
    The only thing about snow that I hate is when it melts and it makes walking around outside gross.
    Last edited by Gamedog; 02-14-2014 at 07:28 PM.

Weasyl
    athdaraxen
    I love snow, I was born up north but then I had to move South and now I never see it. Its depressing really. Even with these crazy freak ice storms the best I can get is some icicles. Oh well. I know I'll go sledding again one day. X3

Weasyl
    Whitewolf_Stormrunner
    The Everfree Forest, just outside Ponyville, Equestria
    I think that I tend to have a love/hate relationship with the white stuff, and I'll tell you why:

We've been getting some serious snow here where I'm at in Missouri, too (the St. Louis, MO, area). Not as much as has hit you guys in Virginia and the East Coast, of course, but enough that me and mine are well tired of it, and wish that it would just go the heck away! Seriously, enough is enough!!!

Honestly, though, I think maybe I'm little more tired of it all than my sister and brother-in-law (whom I'm living with right now for different reasons) because, since they...and their two sons...have lived up here for so long (about 25-30 years), they're all kinda used to it by now. Me? Not so much.

The reason being (and the main reason that I'm now living up here) is that, before our mom passed away in November 2012, I lived in South-Central Missouri. Oh, we got your occasional snowfall here and there in the winter/early spring, but mostly, they amounted to nothin'. A half-inch-inch, maybe an inch-and-a-half, and very, very rarely, 2 or 3 inches, tops. But nothin', nothin' like the kind of snows that we've gotten since I moved up here! I think that this last one dropped about 6-8 inches to a foot (or more) on the Wentzville area, and I'm not even kiddin'! It's a mess!!!

On top of everything else, it was just starting to finally start melting over the past day or two, and danged if it hadn't been snowing today! Oooooo, I'm just so darned tired of all this white stuff.

Okay, like wip and some others around here, I totally agree that it's beautiful to look at, and I love watching it fall (especially if the flakes are nice big, fluffy ones (my mom was the same way)), but once it's over and done with, I'm more than ready for it to go "bye-bye!". And I'm at that stage now. So ready for it to start getting warm again!

I'm also starting to understand something that Mom used to tell us (my sisters and me) when we were kids about what our late Grandpa Blankenship (Mom's dad) used to do when it came to their wood heating stove. She said that he would always wait til late May/early June before he would take it down after the winter, and that was because he was never sure when they'd get a late snowfall. (They lived out in the country, you see.) Never understood that line of thinking til just recently. Now I do.
    Last edited by WhitewolfSTR; 02-14-2014 at 07:59 PM.