Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Weasyl
    Getta

Site Suggestion - Browsing Comics

I was going through submissions when the urge struck me to see what comics people were posting to Weasyl. It didn't take long for me to realize this was easier said than done. There doesn't seem to be any way to mark a submission as a comic, nor any way to browse the comics on the site. About all you can do is search for the word "comic" and see what that turns up.

It seems to me that a lot of users (artists and viewers) would find it useful if comics were a category to themselves, much like we have a separate category for characters. From the recent uploads page, people could scroll down to the comics section and see what comics were recently uploaded, or alternately filter recent submissions to those listed as comic pages. The site could even feature random comics on the main page, kind of like how streams are displayed.

Another idea would be if people could browse all of the comic series that have been, or are currently being posted to the site and maybe "subscribe" to those comics. And from their account settings users could manage their comic subscriptions.

Just throwing ideas at the wall. Thanks for reading!

I think a previous/next feature built into the current submissions system would work best. The comic tag combined with a page linking system would probably work fine rather than having a separate comic section.

Comics are a niche area between art and text. I don't think there's enough posted daily to warrant their own section just yet. Maybe later on though depending on what's being submitted.

Thoughts?

Weasyl
    Getta
    I do like the idea of a page linking system. Currently I have to copy and paste URLS then go back and edit the description of the previous page to add a forward link. That gets tedious real fast. Simply doing that and adding a submissions subcategory for uploads and filtering the recent submissions page would be a big help.

You might be right about the number of comics posted, but it's difficult to tell since we can't currently browse comic submissions to see how frequent they are. I also suspect it could be one of those "if you build it, they will come" sort of situations. I'll be the first to admit I'm biased regarding this, I love comics and would like to see features which encourage more of them.

Weasyl
    Swanda
    It would still be pretty sweet if there was a way to search only the first submitted page in a continued comic, or written work for that matter.
    If you only get the first page submitted, things that rarely update won't be drowned and lost in those who update a lot.
    As it is now when searching, you'll get several pages of the same comic all over the place, and anything else tagged comic as well.
    Like character and environmental designs people have made for their comics.

It's not a super must have feature, but it would be pretty swell for those of us who really enjoy comics and other continued stories.

5.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Getta View Post
    It seems to me that a lot of users (artists and viewers) would find it useful if comics were a category to themselves, much like we have a separate category for characters.
    no. special cases are terrible, and we're working on removing them. characters being their own thing complicates the code, and we're actually trying to fix that. however, suggested tags are going to replace subcategories Real Soon Now, and 'comic' can easily become of the suggested tags.

there's also a redmine issue open related to comic browsing, in such a way that it generalizes to serialized chapters of stories too.

From the recent uploads page, people could scroll down to the comics section and see what comics were recently uploaded, or alternately filter recent submissions to those listed as comic pages. The site could even feature random comics on the main page, kind of like how streams are displayed.
    this is a good idea, though. there could be a section specifically for things tagged "comic".

Weasyl
    Getta
    @weykent

If we got only those features you like then I'd still be a very happy camper. I especially like that idea regarding serialized submissions. That'll be extremely useful.

I was curious if the character section was worth the added complexity. Are you guys planning to fold those submissions in with the rest, or leave it as-is but just avoid anything else like that?

7.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #7
    Are you guys planning to fold those submissions in with the rest…
    yes.

Weasyl
    Getta
    Has there been any progress with these changes to the site? I understand the devs are always working on "under the hood" improvements but it would do a lot of good for the userbase to see some improvements to the site layout, upload features, and social tools of the site as well.

Around the time I first posted this thread I did a mockup of changes that could be made to the site layout that would help immensely. Currently the icons showing the previous/next submissions in a folder are shoved far out of site to the bottom of the page where few people will ever see them. Those could be moved up under the artwork itself Like so. (Sorry, includes a NSFW icon but I'm too lazy to fix it right now) The icons at the far ends could even jump directly to the first/last submissions in the folder.

Weasyl
    Uluri
    I'd like to just state that Some kind of Comic Section would be Awesome to have.
    I have actually been holding back on posting comics onto this site, because there
    is no place for them to go categorization wise.

(There are next buttons in Folders?!) -goes to look-
    Would ya look at that?! There are! They are SOooo out of the way.
    I didn't know they existed.

Weasyl
    SailorX2
    This would definitely be a cool feature!

If there was a way to group images together it would make it easier to read comics, that's for sure. I know Pixiv has something similar, since normal submissions could have multiple images uploaded at the same time and thus grouped together, the full set viewable when you click for "fullsize" or whatever you want to call it. It was pretty convenient if I had related images that would be a problem to present as a single item, but still didn't have the will to separate. And recently they altered it to more properly accommodate manga/comics as a separate section/upload like literature or animation.

I don't know how that would work here since I'm not a tech person, but if each set was a chapter, then - though maybe not the most streamlined way of subscribing - regular artist updates would notify you of a new chapter because it was a new upload, the first image would function as the cover or thumbnail, etc. And to keep chapters together all you need is a folder set-up.

Because right now when you go through the site you get disparate pages all over the place and you might have to constantly search for the next page if it isn't in a long-comic format.