Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: HTML Cleanup

HTML Cleanup

I know you guys have more important stuff to worry about than this, but I just figured I'd point it out. The HTML is just a touch messy. I know a bunch of people won't ever see it, but cleaning it up would reduce page sizes and possibly fix a few minor issues people are having.

The first thing I noticed is that the grid-item list items aren't closed:
    HTML Code:

There's no </li> in there. That bugs the crap out of me. I don't know if the HTML5 standard requires it, but leaving it off is bound to confuse weaker browsers (and may be the source of some problems in mobile browsers I've seen posted around here). It's not like it's being done to save space, given that getting rid of all that whitespace would save more.

I personally would also probably try and get rid of the redundant image URL in the data-src vs. the img in the <noscript> tag to cut down on space used, but that's just me.

There's also a handful of unescaped &s in there. On the front page there's 2 according to the HTML validator, here's one:
    HTML Code:

Also note the classless span in there, that shows up in a few other places.

There are a few other little things that just seem kind of silly to me, but these are the big ones that jumped out at me so far.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Socks the Fox View Post
    I don't know if the HTML5 standard requires it, but leaving it off is bound to confuse weaker browsers (and may be the source of some problems in mobile browsers I've seen posted around here).
    no, and no. <li> is one of several tags that doesn't require closing. it has been this way since forever.

Still bugs the crap out of me. Probably from my XHTML days. Anything on the other little things, like the excessive blank lines?

Weasyl
    lupussle
    On a related note (just to be a bit picky) obviously this information is bound to change depending upon the final published HTML5 standard, but there's a few minor failings from the W3 HTML validator: http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=we...Inline&group=0

That's obviously just the main page (as seen by guests) and given it's loading dynamic content it's likely to run into these issues from time to time, but it's good for accessibility to avoid these minor issues. They're mostly the same kind of things: unescaped ampersands (& instead of &amp;); using attribute 'name' instead of 'id' and the IE 'X-UA-Compatible' issue. Other than those the site's pretty damn clean!

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
    We did actually clean up a couple of the & vs &amp; issues in a recent patchup; that said, I'll go ahead and close this thread. Bigger fish and all, but we handled the obvious stuff. Thanks!