Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Weasyl
    willy
    I think it's a problem of artists either seeing people who draw better than them or seeing people who are the same age as them that draw better than them. And because they see people doing exactly what they're doing but better in comparison to them, they feel they're inadequate.

And I also think that age plays a big role in it. Because I see this happen primarily with younger artists. So I guess it could also be a matter of not realizing that they just need to be patient and work at it.

Things like that.

Me personally, I have moments but it's usually born out of art block. But I've also learned to appreciate the little good things I've done in pieces and realize that not every picture has to be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Vae View Post
    I personally see nothing wrong with belittling what you've done, because it means you desire self-improvement.
    It may seem really harsh at times, but it still avoids that kind of self-satisfaction that often leads to stagnation.
    True, but I think the OP's talking about people who constantly talk about how their art sucks and how horrible they think all of their art is.
    There's nothing wrong with noticing problems and wanting to fix them, but constantly beating yourself up over the little things also leads to stagnation.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow View Post
    I think it's a problem of artists either seeing people who draw better than them or seeing people who are the same age as them that draw better than them. And because they see people doing exactly what they're doing but better in comparison to them, they feel they're inadequate.

And I also think that age plays a big role in it. Because I see this happen primarily with younger artists. So I guess it could also be a matter of not realizing that they just need to be patient and work at it.

Things like that.

Me personally, I have moments but it's usually born out of art block. But I've also learned to appreciate the little good things I've done in pieces and realize that not every picture has to be awesome.
    I would agree with this until they post the work. If you have body issues do you walk up naked to a crowd telling people how ugly you look? If you have bad breath, you stay away so that people won't smell it. If something you like doesn't look good you naturally do not show it because of esteem. So I honestly cannot fathom posting work you generally do not like. I have a lot of work I do not post because it's something I generally find no value. There is no one I know that is holding a gun to my head threatening my life I refuse to post work I hate.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogle View Post
    So, why do some people do this? I'd really like to view the opinions on those who see their art as 'bad'. Do you unconsciously say these distasteful things about your artwork, or do you truly believe what you've created is terrible?
    A combination of the two, and it generally depends on the day. Sometimes I honestly feel like my art is utter poop and I should just go and burn it all, but most of the time I'm just exaggerating. Although I really haven't been doing that at all for a good while :u I only do the thing when I have the poopy days now :s

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    I would agree with this until they post the work. If you have body issues do you walk up naked to a crowd telling people how ugly you look? If you have bad breath, you stay away so that people won't smell it. If something you like doesn't look good you naturally do not show it because of esteem. So I honestly cannot fathom posting work you generally do not like. I have a lot of work I do not post because it's something I generally find no value. There is no one I know that is holding a gun to my head threatening my life I refuse to post work I hate.
    I agree with this, people who post their work saying that its all crap... I often feel like they just want a boost from a million friends and strangers. Ooo no its great, this is fantastic.
    I personally hide all the pictures I don't like, sometimes Im really proud of it, I post it and later I take it down because its... Not a better artwork anymore.

However i feel its totally different in real life, I used to draw all the time, on a desk people would walk by and look at it. I would openly say no i dont like it, its not good, I would even tell them why and how i wanted to improve. Some would say I was fishing for compliments but really I was just annoyed with their standard of good. I wasnt looking for compliments, I wasn't being modest, I wasn't asking them for approval, I was stating the truth.
    Drawing better then they could, yes it made me better then them, int didn't make me great. There were other people who drew far better then me, I thought theirs was ok, great compared to everyone else but it never seemed great. I think its quite understandable
    I think people who want to and know they can do better will feel this way about their artwork or anything they do that needs practice.

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Although what QT and sammacha are saying is right. Most people who say this are looking for complements or attention. But sometimes people really do have the notion that it is a good or right way to humble yourself or have humility (as I and many of my friends do/did). But hey, nobody's perfect :s Sometimes we do need the complements. I will admit to doing this for complements. Also, I, personally, think this only really becomes a problem of sorts if it's all they ever say about their art.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I haven't posted my stuff to any gallery for a longass time because, frankly, I don't like my stuff and I don't think it's at a standard where it's objectively decent enough to expose unless it's for critique. I can barely do observational drawing as it is, that's not a good sign.

Weasyl
    MedicalMeccanica
    Going to come out and say that yeah, in a particularly bad slump sometimes I do actively use this method to fish for compliments, and I think I do it a lot subconsciously.

And maybe it's wrong, but honestly... working your ass off and having people both much better (deserved) and much worse (undeserved) than you getting a ton of attention while you get jack... well, there's creating for the sake of creating, but getting no recognition for your hard work will tear even the most optimistic artist down.

I get more critique, reassurance, and the strength to keep going if I say what is essentially the honest truth about how I feel about my art 99% of the time publicly than I do if I say "I LOVE THIS I'M REALLY PROUD OF IT," even if I mean it.

Weasyl
    RedLeFrench
    As far as writing goes, I think I fare pretty well. I see the place from where I came from and now and feel there has been a big improvement. Then again, since I strive for "near-perfection", I know there is still a long way to go and improve it all, especially when I look up on fellow writers that put out fantastic pieces of content. Then again, this sort of stuff is something you need to learn to do and isn't gonna go just by snapping your fingers.

On the other hand, I know that everything that involves dabbling in drawing and video editing amounts to really bad stuff and that if I continue like that, there is no way things will get better. That's why I decided to do really minimalistic stuff (which, weirdly enough, people seem to enjoy).

More generally, a friend of mine is constantly on the brink of breaking down and wanting to burn it all. The reason being that he always watch other's works and compare them with his. I always tell him to not just compare, but analyze the other's works and learn from them, that way he can improve... But he's hellbent on thinking he sucks, I'm close on giving up lifting his spirits, because he does some really cool stuff and I don't want his talent to go to waste.
    This link might contain cookies. Spoilers : it does not, it's just a trap link towards something I write. Sorry...

Weasyl
    kipkei
    attention and pity from others, who knows it depends on the individual lol

Weasyl
    wwretched
    Well, I think it's because we can all see the flaws in our work. We put our labor into it, so we know exactly what we did wrong. It's because of that that we're quick to turn a critical eye upon ourselves. That's for everyone.

I think for the people who do it constantly, such as apologizing for posting work and constantly saying that their work is terrible they're looking for someone to validate them? I've mostly noticed this with younger artists, those who haven't learned to validate themselves yet. I used to do it to an extent, and looking back I just wanted someone to tell me that I'm good because I didn't even view myself as decent.
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state