Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    N/A

Belittling one's own art - why do we do it?

I've noticed in any art community there are always a handful of people who talk down about their work; stomping it to the ground like it's nothing. Some say they're just being modest, or just talk like that as if it's normal to do so as a artist - but it's not. There's nothing rewarding that comes from this sort of attitude, you actually damage the atmosphere around your work and those who view it by saying such things. Personally, I understand wanting to be better; always viewing my end result as satisfactory or quite pleasing, but not perfection. There's always room for improvement, so I let that be my drive & not my downfall.

So, why do some people do this? I'd really like to view the opinions on those who see their art as 'bad'. Do you unconsciously say these distasteful things about your artwork, or do you truly believe what you've created is terrible?

I work really hard not to put myself down too much. I mean that's what the rest of the world is there for, right? XD
    My guess is that it's easier to put yourself down before anyone else can.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Combination of low self esteem with a perfectionist mentality. The desire to be better with the frustration of not appearing so.
    That's how it is for me anyway.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Weasyl
    Vae
    I personally see nothing wrong with belittling what you've done, because it means you desire self-improvement.
    It may seem really harsh at times, but it still avoids that kind of self-satisfaction that often leads to stagnation.
    It also depends on a person's individual standards, which are going to vary. So, even if you think their work looks good, it may very well actually look like shit in their eyes. It doesn't necessarily mean they're intentionally putting themselves down, so much as just admitting their actual opinion.
    Resident Koopa Trash

I don't know that I've ever openly belittled my art, but I know I've felt extremely down on it in the past. It didn't help much that as a general rule the only feedback I'd receive on my work if at all would be incredibly negative. I slowly stopped making art at all as a result.

Some people are just fishing, others were raised to speak in that way of their ability, still more are just expressing their discontent with their progress.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

I usually put myself down, but I find it like constructive criticism, it makes me want to work harder.
    This isn't what I wanted, it look awful, SO MAKE IT BETTER DAMMIT!!!
    Then I do.

I would also rather hear the truth then someone telling me I am great when I am not. Just because I am better then you it does not make me great!
    I will get there with practice, but currently I am not. I am what I feel, decent or good and it took a very long time to become good, it doesnt make me feel bad about my art a all, but it makes me WANT to be great.
    Last edited by Sammacha; 02-12-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Weasyl
    MedicalMeccanica
    I put myself down a lot because some people think I'm a great artist and I want to set the record straight. I feel like saying I'm good is false advertising. I only do it when it comes to pixel art because I feel I'm on a decent enough level there.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    There is modesty and just fishing for compliments.

It is fine to evaluate your work and mention what could have been improved upon, versus posting your work publicly and saying how terrible it is. There is nothing forcing you to post something you believe is truly terrible (well unless it was something created for professional publication and you are under contract. Even then bashing it publicly is rather unprofessional) perhaps unless you are doing it to show improvement on other works or how we all have to suck to learn.

Those circumstances I can understand, but not the way I have seen it on most social sharing art sites.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-12-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    I do it most of the time so I don't think my art is good enough and become an egotistic piece of shit, pretty much.

Belittling your own art is one way to not blind yourself from all the mistakes you made.

Belittling the whole thing is just fishing for compliments.

Belittling the mistakes is learning.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    No idea. I stay hyper-critical about myself to the point I think everything I draw is total shit. Like, really. I have almost zero confidence in my abilities.
    Of course - I normally try not to show it, as that would be annoying. Not much else is worse than a crybaby. SUCK IT UP, SWEET CHEEKS.

On the bright side, people that are hyper-critical seem to be able to learn nicely. Good for improving - bad for confidence.