Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Who works with animals?

Weasyl
    larkspurdragon

Who works with animals?

One of my current jobs is taking care of the birds owned by a wildlife videographer while he's out of the country shooting footage for a documentary. The animals I care for include an alligator snapping turtle, four snow geese, a red-tailed hawk, a great horned owl, and a harpy eagle.

Who else here works with animals? What kinds do you work with?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    I've interned at two aquariums, the first with turtles, fish, frogs, snakes, etc, and the second with primarily harbor seals, fur seals, and sea lions. I also spent 4 years researching avian learning and cognition, working closely with African Greys. Got a thread about it up in General, though it's more talking about the concept of research itself. Anyway, once I get things back on track with my life, I'll be helping out at a stable and may continue to just volunteer at places if I can't find a paid job.

That's cool, though. That person has some pretty interesting animals, huh? How'd you find that sort of opportunity?

Weasyl
    larkspurdragon
    Ah, neat, herps and pinnipeds are cool.

I volunteer at a nature center in the area and the director knew these people were looking for someone to take care of their animals and that I was looking for a job with animals, so it all worked out pretty nicely!

Weasyl
    Ruggy
    Currently, no, but I did spend about a year working as a bather for a dog groomer. I loved it, even with the dry hands and occasional bites. The front part of the building was also a doggy daycare, so several times a day, I'd get to walk back up to the front desk to see who was next and be swarmed by enthusiastic pups. :3 I still miss the regulars. They got so excited to see me.

If it hadn't been so hellacious on my skin (even with gloves) and poorly-paid, I'd be tempted to do it part time. It was a great way of interacting with a bunch of dogs, without having to volunteer for a shelter and feeling terrible that I couldn't take them all home.
    Formerly gorgonops. I do art-type stuff.

Weasyl
    MEEHOO
    Not anymore though I did spend around half a year working voluntarily at an animal shelter / farm
    There was quite a few different animals like pigs and cows and also a bunch of reptiles but I worked mostly with horses and donkeys
    I also looked after a tarantula which was terrifying

Weasyl
    IcyJellyfish
    My favourite topic of discussion!

Currently: I -sort of- volunteer at a local Sanctuary where I live. It's fairly close to my house.
    The reason I say I sort of volunteer is because, I don't fully volunteer out there. It's more of I just interact with the animals and give them treats when I go out there. My mom and I go out every other day, seeing as we have a raccoon that lives there. He lives in a cage with a wooden house and my mom takes care of him.

In the past, I've volunteered at my local Humane Society. It was just over one summer and it was nice.

Right now, I'm working to get my Pet Grooming Certification through an online schooling program. Once I get to Stage Ten I'll be working hands on with a professional groomer and eventually I'll get my Certification and a career in Pet Grooming
    I also plan to get some fundamental knowledge in the veterinary field, such as identifying early signs of illness and common skin conditions in animals. So when I'm grooming, I can tell owners if needed they need to visit a vet.
    I would also like get a dog trainer certification. That would/will be helpful in grooming as well.

But also plan on breeding leopard geckos and if my girlfriend will let me, Hedgehogs. So, needless to say, I have an extreme passion for animals.

I've loved animals ever since I was little kid.
    I've raised about 5 or 6 squirrels and three other raccoons as well as 5 Coatimundi for the Sanctuary here.

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I'm currently doing an internship at a local Vet's office and am taking a course at my college for Vet Assistant training. I've fixed up my resume and will start applying to other hospitals if I cannot get a job at the one I'm interning at. Once I get the job I'm going to continue for my Vet Tech certification.

I love it. The other day I got to give five vaccinations and held a Great Dane that was 150 pounds for a thorough ear cleaning, blood draw and cyst drain. I've helped hold a cat for a cystocentesis, which is where the doctor takes a syringe and draws a urine sample from their bladder. I've seen a dental and helped bring the cat out of anesthesia. And the other day a lady brought her 15 year old Boston Terrier to be euthanized. I handled it a lot better than I thought I was going to, but the key was to reassure that they were doing the right thing. He had stopped eating and the owner was force feeding him. That right there was telling me he was ready to go. I'm always excited to go back and the day flies by.

My favorite part is getting the animal away from their owner and seeing how they change. Most of the time they are a lot calmer and more compliant. Especially the little dogs. The big dogs are usually about the same. Some times they turn in to big babies XD Big dogs are the best.
    Last edited by Aakosir; 02-15-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Weasyl
    Gamedog
    Does fur trapping count..? lol

Weasyl
    sassySloth
    Not anymore. I used to volunteer at a wild animal hospital/ shelter. It was cool I got to hang out with llamas, tortoises, ducks, and raccoons. I also got to make food for the turtles.
    Watch me swooce right in.

Weasyl
    Batty Krueger
    I work with sea creatures. Not any sea mammals though.