Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Who works with animals?

Weasyl
    Carnau / Issy / Isra
    I'm a little jealous, I love pretty much all the animals you've listed!!
    I used to volunteer at a zoo when I was in my high school years. I pretty much did every job there except give tours and managing offices. 10/10 would do that again!
    Quote Originally Posted by voicebox64
    Now he can have all the turkey with pillowy mounds of mashed potatoes, butter drenched dressing and tiny onions swimming in a sea of cream sauce he wants.

Weasyl
    Xolani
    I'm a Zoologist, so it's safe to say I work with animals on a daily basis. I mostly work with arthropods, but I sometimes work with reptiles too.

The research I do mostly centres around genetic variation and its impact on individual variation in persistent patterns of behaviour/personality.

Weasyl
    larkspurdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Batty Krueger View Post
    I work with sea creatures. Not any sea mammals though.
    Ah cool, like what? I'm a big cephalopod fan ^v^

Weasyl
    BlizzardWolf
    A land of big waves and waterfalls, colder than an otters balls. (The Columbia Gorge)
    I basically get paid to play with dogs all day. It's not great money but it's still a rad job.

I always thought it would be cool to work at an aquarium, the otters always look like they are partying so hard.

5.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    I always thought it would be cool to work at an aquarium, the otters always look like they are partying so hard.
    They're a nightmare to train, so my senior trainer told me when I was interning at my last aquarium. That's one of the reasons why they stopped the exhibit at that location. Working at an aquarium can be pretty cool depending on what you do, but it's a hell of a lot of physical, manual labor, knowing how pumps/filters work (and easily able to cause a disaster by forgetting to do one step), lots of chemicals to clean every surface with, a ridiculous standard with which you have to keep said things clean, and generally being able to field questions from the public. I also got to present a bunch of shows for a lot of people, which really upped my public speaking skills. You get paid crap (most trainers had second jobs), but it has its perks.

Also, aquatic animal poop reeks.

Weasyl
    BlizzardWolf
    A land of big waves and waterfalls, colder than an otters balls. (The Columbia Gorge)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Working at an aquarium can be pretty cool depending on what you do, but it's a hell of a lot of physical, manual labor, knowing how pumps/filters work (and easily able to cause a disaster by forgetting to do one step), lots of chemicals to clean every surface with, a ridiculous standard with which you have to keep said things clean, and generally being able to field questions from the public. I also got to present a bunch of shows for a lot of people, which really upped my public speaking skills. You get paid crap (most trainers had second jobs), but it has its perks.

Also, aquatic animal poop reeks.

Except for the reeking poop and lack of endless free beer, it sounds very similar to being a beer brewer. I actually might have a lot of applicable experience. Not sure if I'd really want to do it though. I like dogs. Dogs are easy.

Weasyl
    Amaranth
    I used to work at Pet Food Express (california based pet retail store), and currently work at Petco... not exactly the most interesting animal job but it's better than other retail!

Weasyl
    BrazenBull
    I...Work with animals, in a manner of speaking. I work in a restaurant lol.