Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: Musical Instruments?

Weasyl
    Aakosir
    I've been playing flute since third grade and had dabbled with a guitar. I'm not good with it by any means. I'm still pretty good with my flute.

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexicon View Post
    Thinking of learning to play an electric guitar, but I have no money, no method to learn properly, and I'm so terrible with an acoustic that it's really impossible for me to do any better on a different guitar.
    Starting out with an acoustic is a much more difficult path than with electric. More rewarding imo, but it took a good year for me to stop sounding like total ass. Might've been quicker had I had actual instruction, I'm entirely self-taught. -_-; Anyway, if you can develop good string control, you can get away with some despicable (I use this term in jest, mostly) things on an electric that you could never do on an acoustic. Getting a decent electric guitar, amp, and cables is a bit of an investment, though. If you ever do go down that path, the Epiphone SG (I own one) is a great starter for not that big of a pricetag (like $200 or so; anything less than this is most likely going to be a terrible guitar). Looks sick, solid build, and should last awhile.

As for right now, in my room I've got:

>Breedlove Passport C250 acoustic guitar, my first personal guitar that I bought 2.25 years ago. Done all my learning on it, so it's my baby that I can finally do some justice toward.
    >Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar in sunburst, electric, which has a terrible bridge that needs to be replaced but with which I'm doing some direct recordings (would never be able to mic it currently, the buzz is insane).
    >Epiphone SG electric in cherry, a cheap starter guitar from way back when that my dad kept around. Much more solid build than the VM Jag, amusingly enough.

In storage (don't have access to), my dad has a vintage Fender Jaguar and one of those tweed amps that I'd love to get my hands on for the first time. We used to have vintage Teles and Strats when I was a kid, but I didn't like guitars at the time. /foolish

My first dream guitars are a Gibson Bluesmaster Keb 'Mo for acoustic ($2k), and a vintage Fender Mustang Competition (also probably $2k and rising). Any color, don't care.

Yeah, it can be taxing. But with practice, it can be less so. : )

I play all the core string instruments, violin, viola, cello, and double bass. I want to learn harp though
    follow me on twitter for more anti-capitalism and surrealist humour

Weasyl
    Bliss.in.Oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by WillowMouse View Post
    I play all the core string instruments, violin, viola, cello, and double bass. I want to learn harp though
    Woooo damn :U That's pretty neat!
    I really want to learn harp too, but it's far to expensive and very difficult :c

Quote Originally Posted by BlissfulOblivion View Post
    Woooo damn :U That's pretty neat!
    I really want to learn harp too, but it's far to expensive and very difficult :c
    the entirety of why I want to learn it is just because harps are literally the most ostentatious instrument you can play tbh. "Oh you play guitar? let me just strum something angelic on my harp here"
    follow me on twitter for more anti-capitalism and surrealist humour

Weasyl
    Greg Striata
    I'm a singer, but I used to know drums, and the trumpet. I tried picking up the piano but as a kid had little patience for it. I'd love to get one of Yamaha's Arranger keyboards, hook it up to my current setup and get into it again!

Weasyl
    BlizzardWolf
    A land of big waves and waterfalls, colder than an otters balls. (The Columbia Gorge)
    I was an Ethnomusicology major and got to play all sorts of fun stuff in college.

Gyil Xylophone, drums : funeral music and dances from Ghana

Venda hand drums and reed flutes and dances from South Africa

Played in a steelpan ensemble for a couple years, that was super fun! Mostly played the basses and lower pitched stuff because i didn't have a ton of percussion experience when I started.

Didgeridoo, mine broke a couple years ago though and I haven't replaced it yet.

Was a pretty good Trombone player, but not sure how much Trombone I'll be able to play after my recent facial injury. I no longer have much sensation or muscle control in my lips, but it's coming back little by little.

I play a fretless bass, really want to get an upright, but damn they are big and expensive.

Piano, took lessons as a kid, took classes in college, still not very good, but I can make some cool beats on my midi keyboard.

The obligatory guitar. I'm a terrible soloist but I can play rhythm or finger pick, and I can sing and play a little bit.

Drums: I can play a few beats, but I almost never get to play drums these days so I'm not that great on them.

I've also started beatboxing in the car and the shower, it always starts when I hit my turn signal.

I used to have a really sweet looping pedal and I could make all sorts of cool tracks with that thing if I had a bunch of instruments laying around.

Weasyl
    jerry
    I started learning piano almost two years ago. I'm still not that great, but I'm slowly improving! I could try it out at first with a cheapo Casio keyboard I had laying around. I loved it so now I have a Yamaha NP-31, and eventually I'll get a real piano.

I may also try drums one day, along with guitar, maybe even cello if I end up getting the one we have in the family.

Weasyl
    entsaex_accordingly
    I'm a percussionist and I get a particularly large hadron for found percussion (or found objects in general).