Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelan View Post
    I plan on applying Tybby's tactics here and there, mainly through commenting on other people's work. I just hope they do the same to mine. XD
    Hope, but do not expect. I cannot stress this enough. There are subtle ways to ask/encourage others to read your work. Seek out people who might be interested in your style and/or genres, comment on their work, and subtly massage in on how you might have some work they might enjoy. Or some variation thereof. This worked -wonders- for me in my early days of being a terrible musician, I networked my butt off and found a nice following despite how bad I was. Taking the initiative and showing effort will serve you well in the longrun, regardless.

Weasyl
    Tybalt
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Hope, but do not expect.
    Yeah, this is really important

If you come off looking thirsty literally nobody will be interested (except people who want to use you)

Like you don't want to be the desperate guy on OKcupid, you dig?

Also in regards to publishers, I only used Sofawolf as an example because it was the first publisher I could think of, I'd recommend going for a publisher that gives a bit better in regards to royalties (IIRC sofawolf gives you like 30%?)

Speaking of publishers, does anybody know of any besides SofaWolf, Rabbit Valley, and Fur Planet? I've been trying to find an anthology for my story lately, but honestly, none of these publishers have any that would work for me. Everything I can find is either 18+ adult-oriented, or completely outside of my story's theme.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I honestly don't really care about pay, I'd just love to get out my writing out there in an anthology, but can't really find anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Alan Gregory returned to his bedroom chair with a small cup of tea, all set to continue his nightly routine, or rather, his nightly wait...

https://www.weasyl.com/submission/45...-down-part-one

Quote Originally Posted by Nelan View Post
    Speaking of publishers, does anybody know of any besides SofaWolf, Rabbit Valley, and Fur Planet? I've been trying to find an anthology for my story lately, but honestly, none of these publishers have any that would work for me. Everything I can find is either 18+ adult-oriented, or completely outside of my story's theme.
    Unfortunately, those are pretty much the only ones, or at least the only ones actively putting out anthologies right now. (On the off chance your story's music-themed, it might fit the Furry Writers' Guild anthology -- details here, deadline the 28th.)

Other than that, or putting together a short story collection of your own to self-publish, that's pretty much it. Sadly, the furry fandom really doesn't have a good general furry periodical right now; everything's being published now as yearly anthologies at best, with nearly all of them being narrowly themed and most of them being adult.

Of course, you could always try non-furry magazines and anthologies, if your story might fit just as regular science fiction or fantasy. You can try searching The Submissions Grinder or Ralan.com for possible markets.
    website | blog | FurAffinity | Amazon | Goodreads | Smashwords | Twitter

Weasyl
    Warnndog
    Hey Nelan,

I can identify. I'm also curious as to what type of feedback you are looking for? Are you seeking legitimate criticism, or do you want responses to stories that you've posted on "Weasyl". I have found through sites like "So Furry" that, immediate responses from the general viewing populace, while nice, offers very little substance and insight when it comes to your work. I would much rather prefer an in depth criticism and review, and if your interested. I could offer my service in that endeavor. Keep in mind I'm no William Shakespeare and my Grammar is a little sketchy.

Just to add a little clarification, their is nothing wrong with wanting more faves, views and responses. Especially to a story that you've invested a lot of time and effort in. I am just personally invested right now in improving my craft and looking for anyone who is interested in doing the same. Maybe hold each other accountable or build good writing habits. Let me know what you think?

P.S. To anyone who reads this and find that this may be something you would like to do, please respond back.

Warnndog
    Last edited by Warnndog; 02-25-2014 at 07:01 PM.