Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How do Adoptables work?

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammacha View Post
    Dude, these places still exist...
    Dude, I haven't seen one in years. The popular thing now is the buy/sell adoptables with real money or go to sites like FR, MagiStream and Wajas. Those are of a different breed.

So if the original ones do exist, I suspect they are few and far between and not as popular anymore.

Weasyl
    Toshabi

Weasyl
    willy
    They're not so bad if they're done right. Not a huge fan of the ones that all have the same template but different color schemes but I guess whatever makes them money.

The ones I like are either custom made for a customer or the really detailed ones. A lot of time the latter kind are characters the artist drew but have no intention of keeping to use for themselves. So they give them to someone who might want to use them.

Essentially you're paying for a character commission of one you haven't seen yet. Once it's done the character is yours to do with as you please.

If done well these can be good and usually the "egg" or whatever you're given is a rough indicator of the colour/size/pattern that's going to be used. You may get some basic say in what it looks like but usually that's minimal.

When done badly, it can be a scam and a 5 minute recolour of a template they stole off someone else. If you ever end up on the losing end of one like that then report it to Weasyl.

As with all commissions it's up to you whether you agree with the artists terms and if you're not comfortable with the idea then you should stay away from such threads.

Does that help at all?

Weasyl
    Mayhem
    Ok if someone uses a template (template being something that someone said anyone can use) and designs a color scheme and such like that. How is that a scam?

I know its not really artistic and its not favored. Hell I dont even like it at all. I think its cheap and pitiful as an artist. Its like trying to sell coloring book pages to someone.
    I just dont like the idea of it being something that would be called a scam. If all adoptables are is a coloring design and some people do many color designs then how could this be a scam anyways? It should be obvious your buying the color scheme and not the art because there is ten other pictures with the same pose just recolored for sale there,

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Ok if someone uses a template (template being something that someone said anyone can use) and designs a color scheme and such like that. How is that a scam?

I know its not really artistic and its not favored. Hell I dont even like it at all. I think its cheap and pitiful as an artist. Its like trying to sell coloring book pages to someone.
    I just dont like the idea of it being something that would be called a scam. If all adoptables are is a coloring design and some people do many color designs then how could this be a scam anyways? It should be obvious your buying the color scheme and not the art because there is ten other pictures with the same pose just recolored for sale there,
    The problem isn't someone creating their own color scheme to create their character. Most templates are out there for free use. To use something for free to resell implies that you created the template and the colors.

The spirit of selling an adoptable is to sell your design and work not just a color scheme. So it is quite understandable that people call it a scam to sell something creative under something you really didn't create.
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-11-2014 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiGreyScale View Post
    Dude, I haven't seen one in years. The popular thing now is the buy/sell adoptables with real money or go to sites like FR, MagiStream and Wajas. Those are of a different breed.

So if the original ones do exist, I suspect they are few and far between and not as popular anymore.

I know, the original ones were somewhat of a fad, but I know a few of my friend still collect and breed them on some sites which are apparently still quite big.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Melon View Post
    The problem isn't someone creating their own color scheme to create their character. Most templates are out there for free use. To use something for free to resell implies that you created the template and the colors.

The spirit of selling an adoptable is to sell your design and work not just a color scheme. So it is quite understandable that people call it a scam to sell something creative under something you really didn't create.
    It reminds me of someone trying to sell a red, blue and green pikachu, but saying that this character is free to use if you buy from said artist.
    Last edited by Sammacha; 02-12-2014 at 12:34 AM.

AHHHH thank y'all for your answers!!! they're really helpful!! ;w;

Weasyl
    IcyJellyfish
    Adoptables: What are they and how do they work?

It depends on the adoptable creator, in some cases.
    Some people create characters, whether they be human, animal, furry, or what have you and sell them either for a fixed price or auction them off and let people bid on them.
    There are also "Mystery" adoptables, meaning the creator gives you a small preview of what the character is going to look like, (normally being a blacked out version of the finished character) and then you buy the adoptable and you will then see what the adoptable looks like.
    There are also "egg" adoptables, consisting of an egg with colours, patterns, and whatever else the creator may have added. Normally you buy this "egg" and then the creator will then draw you or give you the hatched version of that egg creature.
    There are also "Custom" adoptables. Meaning, it's a blank canvas and you buy the slot for a custom adoptable. Upon purchase, you will tell the artist what you want the character to look like. Normally customs are on some kind of base or lineart the artist themselves have created, or they have purchased through some means.

Adoptables are a good source of income for those who are good at making them and have a good following.
    Some people make a living off of selling these adoptables. Some people use it as a means of obtaining some extra cash when needed.
    Depending on how good you are as an artist and how many people yo have following you, you could make a very good amount of money. However, if you aren't that good or don't have a good following of people, you will most likely have an extremely difficult time selling any, let alone at a price that you would want to price them at.

If I was unclear or anything you can PM me or just ask xD
    I make adoptables and have experience with watching others make them, so I have a pretty good idea of how they work.