Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: How do Adoptables work?

How do Adoptables work?

sorry if there's a topic like this already-- i scanned the first page and didn't spot anything!!

anyway, would anyone mind telling me exactly how adoptables work? and those that sell them, how frequently do they go? does there seem to be a high 'demand' for them? what's keeping people from just ripping the design off? it all seems very interesting but i know next to nothing about them,,

thanks in advance!!

Weasyl
    TealMoon
    If you're popular you can sell them like mad.

I've only bought them because I liked the artists art so it was like getting a full body pic for really cheap. :i

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    I'm still confused by the whole thing.

My understanding of it is that it's basically buying the rights to a character design that an artist came up with.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    N/A
    ^Basically how I see it as well. I bought one years ago (lost it awhile back XD) and I assumed that the design was fully mine after purchased. However, obviously you can't take credit for the drawing itself. As for future drawings that you do of it, I'm not sure how giving credit would work, or if someone specifically asked if you came up with the design; might be better to be honest and say you just bought it.

Your basically just buying the pattern, design, etc so that you can draw and claim the character as yours as well as having the rights to ask another artist to commission this charcater for you. So as others have said, your buying the rights to use their design and use it as your character

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    It is best to find out or contact the artist on terms or use. Some artists have made it complicated.

Insert Witty Comment Here AndiGreyScale's Avatar
    Weasyl
    AndiGreyScale
    Quote Originally Posted by AlleyMonster View Post
    sorry if there's a topic like this already-- i scanned the first page and didn't spot anything!!

anyway, would anyone mind telling me exactly how adoptables work? and those that sell them, how frequently do they go? does there seem to be a high 'demand' for them? what's keeping people from just ripping the design off? it all seems very interesting but i know next to nothing about them,,

thanks in advance!!
    These days you're buying the rights to the character, but it also depends on the artist so be sure to read their rules regarding this subject.

Once upon a time, when I was still in middle school, there used to be thousands of adoption sites that required the potential adopter to put up a webpage and type out a story before getting a dragon or other creature to go along with said story. I even had my own critters that were adopted out before I closed it down before entering H.S
    Some even had "Click-And-Take" pets where you could just save it to your hard-drive and put it up on your website, so long as you linked back to where ya got it from. People would go nuts with setting up entire websites just for their adoptables and there was one where it was a giant maze and ya had to click around to find new critters. That one was fun. There were even breeding programs for certain pets, like the Ferilon Farm, where the artist would roll dice that would decide your new pets genes, and draw it out.

I miss those adoptables. =( But I like the new version as well, of course.

Weasyl
    Ley
    So far I imagine its like this:

An artist draws a bunch of different characters/designs/fun things

Once the artist has a bunch of fun designs/colorins, they sell them for cheap because of reasons.

Then, that character is the buyers 'property', in where the buyer can comm more art of the character and so on.

Its like finding a rock, painting it because you think it'll look pretty, and somone buying it because they too find it pretty. It isn't your rock anymore, but you painted it.

That's how I see it, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiGreyScale View Post
    These days you're buying the rights to the character, but it also depends on the artist so be sure to read their rules regarding this subject.

Once upon a time, when I was still in middle school, there used to be thousands of adoption sites that required the potential adopter to put up a webpage and type out a story before getting a dragon or other creature to go along with said story. I even had my own critters that were adopted out before I closed it down before entering H.S
    Some even had "Click-And-Take" pets where you could just save it to your hard-drive and put it up on your website, so long as you linked back to where ya got it from. People would go nuts with setting up entire websites just for their adoptables and there was one where it was a giant maze and ya had to click around to find new critters. That one was fun. There were even breeding programs for certain pets, like the Ferilon Farm, where the artist would roll dice that would decide your new pets genes, and draw it out.

I miss those adoptables. =( But I like the new version as well, of course.

Dude, these places still exist...