Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Weasyl
    oly
    I do both.

If I'm just sketching or fucking around I go freehand.

If I want it to be cleaner, proper lineart, I do linework layers because it's WAY faster and I don't end up zooming in and trying to get all my lines and curves perfect on a pixel-by-pixel basis. I used to do that and the results were never clean enough, I was never satisfied. Now I just do a sketch, then linework over it, it takes a fraction of the time and I'm not constantly second-guessing whether those three pixels should be there or not or whether that line needs an extra pixel of thickness or blah blah blah.

I actually use the curves tool quite a lot, it's SUPER fast, instead of having to draw each stroke I just pop down anchor points in a few choice places, adjust the pressure as needed and BAM done.

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    I do both.

If I'm just sketching or fucking around I go freehand.

If I want it to be cleaner, proper lineart, I do linework layers because it's WAY faster and I don't end up zooming in and trying to get all my lines and curves perfect on a pixel-by-pixel basis. I used to do that and the results were never clean enough, I was never satisfied. Now I just do a sketch, then linework over it, it takes a fraction of the time and I'm not constantly second-guessing whether those three pixels should be there or not or whether that line needs an extra pixel of thickness or blah blah blah.

I actually use the curves tool quite a lot, it's SUPER fast, instead of having to draw each stroke I just pop down anchor points in a few choice places, adjust the pressure as needed and BAM done.
    Do you draw in SAI? I haven't used the pen tool much but if SAI has a curve tool, I'd love to know about it.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Taeso
    I use a mix of both on PhotoShop because while I can readily freehand the smaller details, the longer lines like tails, necks (for creatures with longer than average necks) and sometimes limbs give me problems.
    I learned how to use the Pen tool with the CTRL and clicking-dragging to create the smooth lines and adding points as well as going back through and tweaking the lines to match the inked lines I drew on paper with a pen as guidelines a long time ago, and it's saved my life on a number of occasions. I'll often go back through after applying the stroke with an eraser to taper the lines and make them match my hand-strokes.
    With practice comes speed, I can whip out a series of pen lines as fast as I can hand-draw a detailed area, but it's really my preference, much like how I'll do every piece traditionally with a drawn and inked piece that I'll scan in and then render it digitally (unless I decide to go full digital! I'm much steadier with my hands and lines if I intend to traditionally color).

A tip for those with unsteady hands (if you don't already know/do this) is to use your entire arm in a lot of the strokes, not just your wrist. This will help particularly in longer lines if you use your arm from the elbow like a pivot point and your wrist straight parallel to it - you have a better chance of nailing a smooth line on a fast arm stroke than a slower wrist-twisting that's better applied to small details that won't be as easily botched with shaky hands.
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*
    WARNING: This user is known to post in paragraphs - you have been advised!

Quote Originally Posted by Taesolieroy View Post
    A tip for those with unsteady hands (if you don't already know/do this) is to use your entire arm in a lot of the strokes, not just your wrist. This will help particularly in longer lines if you use your arm from the elbow like a pivot point and your wrist straight parallel to it - you have a better chance of nailing a smooth line on a fast arm stroke than a slower wrist-twisting that's better applied to small details that won't be as easily botched with shaky hands.
    This is good advice, but only tends to work if you have a large area to move.

I hold my tablet on my lap, my arm keeps it in place because the other hand is busy on ctrl+Z (:V) and my desk isn't set up with a place for a tablet.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    oly
    I've been using SAI yes. when you make a linework layer, the normal brushes and all are replaced by pen tool(so you can draw like normal but the lines are created as strokes with editable points), curve tool, line tool, pressure editor etc. But unlike photoshop's curves tool, SAI's don't have handles or anything, you just click/tap a point down and it that's that. i could never get the hang of the bezier curve style tools.

Ah, that's what I thought it was. I was hoping SAI had some bezier tool in it since that's what I'm used to working with in vectors. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Weasyl
    Taeso
    @Kazekai - not always is that the case for needing a large area to move! I do the same maneuvers while working on an A4 piece of paper (8.5x11" - you can use that move in a space that small!) that is my usual canvas. My tablet space is not much bigger and yet I will use sweeping strokes depending on where my zoom is set to.

And I've also worked with the tablet and laptop in my lap before because I'd be upstairs or something - my desk is hardly big enough to hold both my comp and tablet!
    *Art is like telling a story with your emotions. If you can get yourself lost in the image's emotions and tale, chances are your peers will experience the same.*
    WARNING: This user is known to post in paragraphs - you have been advised!

Weasyl
    GingerM
    I'm still using Paintshop Pro 7 with a mouse, so I tend to use the Pen tool with Bezier curve mostly. Unfortunately, because I don't have a tablet, I don't get to use the varying line thicknesses, fading, colour changes or any of the other fun things you can do with the pressure signal from a tablet pen.

*le sigh*
    FA: GINGERM | RHIANNON ~ SOFURRY ~ FUTANARI PALACE ~ RENDEROTICA
    WEASYL ~ DEVIANTART ~ HENTAI FOUNDRY ~ WIKIFUR
    Live life to the fullest, love with a full heart.

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
    I'm still using Paintshop Pro 7 with a mouse, so I tend to use the Pen tool with Bezier curve mostly. Unfortunately, because I don't have a tablet, I don't get to use the varying line thicknesses, fading, colour changes or any of the other fun things you can do with the pressure signal from a tablet pen.

*le sigh*
    For $80 you can get the Wacom Bamboo Splash which also comes with Autodesk Sketchbook Express and Artrage 3 Studio. Same price as the Connect but you get Artrage 3 Studio with it as well as Sketchbook. It has a lot of good ratings, too. Maybe look into that?

Weasyl
    Clambo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratte View Post
    For $80 you can get the Wacom Bamboo Splash which also comes with Autodesk Sketchbook Express and Artrage 3 Studio. Same price as the Connect but you get Artrage 3 Studio with it as well as Sketchbook. It has a lot of good ratings, too. Maybe look into that?
    There are also a couple of cheap, well-reviewed alternatives to wacom products as well. If you're on a small budget (and a lot of us are), they might also be worth looking into.

Monoprice Tablets: http://frenden.com/the-little-monopr...et-that-could/
    Yiynova, budget Cintaq alternative: http://frenden.com/yiynova-budget-cintiq-alternative/