Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by mutsurf View Post
    Freehanding all the way. Vectors/pen tool seems to be a bit too much work for just lineart. Having to contort and curve your vectors just right looks to be much more time-consuming than I would be comfortable with.

But that could just be because I have pretty clean strokes; ergo I've never bothered with vectors. Go figure.
    Curse you!! >w< I wish my hands were that steady...

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

I couldn't get my line art how I liked it for the most part.. so I completely stopped doing lines and I'm actually much faster and better at art that way heh..
    but when I did, I much preferred SAI for lines.
    as for a pen tool or vectors, I've never really used anything like that....

Weasyl
    PapayaShark
    I can't get the pen tool to look god, so freehand lineart it is.
    Last edited by PapayaShark; 08-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Weasyl
    Tiger
    Well, when I draw in PaintBBS on oekaki I use what's called the Bezier tool- very easy; it's like the pen tool in Photoshop. So easy lines.

As far as Photoshop lines go, I didn't know anything about how to use the pen tool properly until my Photoshop class last semester. I'm pretty efficient with it, but it does take (for me) a lot of time to get the lines properly shaped and such. I prefer to do my lines freehand, although the lines will sometimes look fairly shaky. I'm kinda at a crossraods as far as what to do for lines, but for now, freehand it is. I might end up converting to total pen tool during my upcoming Photoshop semester, though. Just gonna have to wait and see.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Well, when I draw in PaintBBS on oekaki I use what's called the Bezier tool- very easy; it's like the pen tool in Photoshop. So easy lines.

As far as Photoshop lines go, I didn't know anything about how to use the pen tool properly until my Photoshop class last semester. I'm pretty efficient with it, but it does take (for me) a lot of time to get the lines properly shaped and such. I prefer to do my lines freehand, although the lines will sometimes look fairly shaky. I'm kinda at a crossraods as far as what to do for lines, but for now, freehand it is. I might end up converting to total pen tool during my upcoming Photoshop semester, though. Just gonna have to wait and see.
    that is understandable, I'm kinda the same way with many different digital artist tools since I use Photoshop, Sai, and Manga Studio, but I'm starting to actually use all three for different aspects of the same drawing. Not so much manga studio just yet, I'm still learning how to use that program, but I usually use Photoshop and Sai for the same picture, especially if it has a background. I prefer doing my BGs in Photoshop, and to draw my characters in Sai.

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

i used to use the pen tool and then i forgot about it

but i like drawing freehand better anyway since the pen tool sorta makes things look really stiff at least to me it does
    tmblr - fa - da

Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Well first off, if you're going to go to the trouble of using the pen tool you should be working in Illustrator or another vector art program. Otherwise I feel your just wasting your time using the pentool.
    80-90% of the time I find freehand linework far superior.

ps. love me some lineart in SAI.
    THIS, exactly this <3
    I've always done freehand because if I want to go through that trouble, I would just use Illustrator. Plus, graphic design classes are ALWAYS PENTOOLPENTOOLPENTOOL so I love any chance to actually freehand something

I've been meaning to get SAI. That line stabilizer or whatever will save me

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    THIS, exactly this <3
    I've always done freehand because if I want to go through that trouble, I would just use Illustrator. Plus, graphic design classes are ALWAYS PENTOOLPENTOOLPENTOOL so I love any chance to actually freehand something

I've been meaning to get SAI. That line stabilizer or whatever will save me
    Fire Alpaca is free and has a stabilizer.

Also, knowing how to use the pen tool efficiently can be just as effortless as freehand. The pen tool in Inkscape, as well as several other tools, is very easy to understand and I use it for quick rough drafts as well as freehand.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

Weasyl
    Ratte
    Personally I freehand unless certain strokes are giving me grief, which isn't often. I notice how that even SAI's pen layers will make lines look weird because it uses vector points, making some angles look too sharp when the line is made. It's nice for some occasions, but otherwise I like to freehand my lines. It feels more natural and more like I'm in control of my linework. Plus, people tend to like my lineart, so that's always a plus. :>

Definitely freehand rather than using a vector tool. Inking with a pen tool means you're missing out on vital practice. I used to use the pen tool for inking several years ago because I had little confidence in my hand drawn lines, but it did me no favours in the long run XP.