Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57
  1. #11
    Well first off, if you're going to go to the trouble of using the pen tool you should be working in Illustrator or another vector art program. Otherwise I feel your just wasting your time using the pentool.
    80-90% of the time I find freehand linework far superior.

    ps. love me some lineart in SAI.

  2. #12
    SAI's linework tool has never worked efficiently for me, I would probably use it more often if it worked more like the pen tool in Inkscape, but it doesn't.

    Drawing freehand works most of the time but its one disadvantage is that I can't easily scale an image without dicking around with settings. So, when I know I'm going to draw something that I'll want to scale, I sketch it in SAI and use Inkscape to render it.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  3. #13
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    I've never heard of Inkscape.


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    I've never heard of Inkscape.
    http://inkscape.org/

    It's an open-source vector program. I prefer it over Illustrator because it's easier to use and free.
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  5. #15
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    http://inkscape.org/

    It's an open-source vector program. I prefer it over Illustrator because it's easier to use and free.
    Lol, I just tried it out, I think I prefer Sai...^^; it is a bit easier for me, but then again I'm using a Cintiq so I feel more comfortable using Sai..;>>


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  6. #16
    Premium User Unburnt Daenerys's Avatar
    Weasyl
    meris
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    101
    I get way too obsessive over lineart with the pen tool. Freehanding works better for me, although I'm trying to move towards a lineless painterly style.

  7. #17
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    I get way too obsessive over lineart with the pen tool. Freehanding works better for me, although I'm trying to move towards a lineless painterly style.
    Ahh, I'm trying to get a more professional Anime/Manga style, so slowly but surely I'm easing myself into smaller lines for my line-art, so the Pen tool is coming in handy. ^-^


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    Ahh, I'm trying to get a more professional Anime/Manga style, so slowly but surely I'm easing myself into smaller lines for my line-art, so the Pen tool is coming in handy. ^-^
    This is a bit off-topic, but... http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley That guy has tutorials on how to draw manga-style, he writes manga for a living and publishes with Dark Horse. I love his videos.

    On-topic: For vectors, Inkscape works really well, but the only thing I can see vectors being useful for are graphic design and video game art, depending on the type of game. (Items you can scale to size, for example.) I drew my avatar freehand in SAI, and it is possible to get those thin lines that taper with freehand drawing, it just takes a lot of ctrl+Z. :V
    If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please," I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes."

  9. #19
    Alien Cat of Doom Taelune's Avatar
    Weasyl
    Taelune
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Nevada, USA
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazekai View Post
    This is a bit off-topic, but... http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley That guy has tutorials on how to draw manga-style, he writes manga for a living and publishes with Dark Horse. I love his videos.

    On-topic: For vectors, Inkscape works really well, but the only thing I can see vectors being useful for are graphic design and video game art, depending on the type of game. (Items you can scale to size, for example.) I drew my avatar freehand in SAI, and it is possible to get those thin lines that taper with freehand drawing, it just takes a lot of ctrl+Z. :V
    thanks for the link, I'll check it out, as for the tapering, I already know how to do that freehand (And yes Ctrl+Z much ;.;) , I like the pen tool because I can do long sweeps and what-not effortlessly, if you go check out my request-thread you can see some of the images I've been practicing the pen tool with.

    *
    I am a little interested in becoming a Graphic designer, I've done some stuff for a local non-profit organization in the past, it was fun, but I'd need to take classes on how to market myself and how to create simple yet intricate designs, like for T-shirts and everything else fun like that. (I do plan on going to school for this very soon as a minor career choice)

    But, I also feel that Vectoring is a completely different battlefield than Comics/Manga which is currently my strongest interest.
    Last edited by Taelune; 08-18-2012 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Additional opinion stuff..


    Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

  10. #20
    Freehanding all the way. Vectors/pen tool seems to be a bit too much work for just lineart. Having to contort and curve your vectors just right looks to be much more time-consuming than I would be comfortable with.

    But that could just be because I have pretty clean strokes; ergo I've never bothered with vectors. Go figure.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •