Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Weasyl
    Taelune

Pen Tool versus Free-hand? A digital Line-art discussion..

Okay this is a discussion for all you Digital Artists, what are your thoughts on the pen tool versus free-handing line art?

I'm just learning the Pen Tool in SAI, which is way easier than PhotoShop's Pen tool. I personally like it better than Free-handing line art, since I do not have to struggle with long sweeping lines, and I can edit the thickness as I go along, but I can also see some cons with it. For instance as I mentioned earlier it is a challenge to learn, especially in PhotoShop. (I still haven't figured it out in PS)

What are your guys' thoughts? Pros, Cons? Personal preference?

Current Avatar created by Me using Catlike Icon Maker
    Art Status: Uninspired

.__. I've been using Photoshop for years, and I still can't get the pen tool to work.

..So I obviously like freehanding everything, even though it can look a bit sloppy.

Weasyl
    Flareon13
    ... I thought the Pen tool was the default "use this to draw" tool. I guess not.

I have much to learn in the ways of SAI, it seems.

Weasyl
    StudioTRUE
    I prefer to go freehand. I have so much control over what i draw and how I want it to look when I draw freehand. Vectors look nice when you're know what your doing with it, but I find it slightly restrictive with the way I draw a lot.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Flareon13 View Post
    ... I thought the Pen tool was the default "use this to draw" tool. I guess not.

I have much to learn in the ways of SAI, it seems.
    there is a Brush called "Pen" but when I'm talking about the pen tool, it is a different type of Layer tool, here is a Tutorial to what I'm talking about..^^
    http://ninjakato.deviantart.com/art/...-tut-174860907

6.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6

Weasyl
    Fiz
    I really hate how pen-tool art looks if people don't vary their line width and tapers while they go along. I prefer doing everything freehand, I have enough practice with my tablet to have control over my lines. I can do my lines super smooth if I want to, but nowadays I usually use my blotchy brush when doing line-art, so smoothness and width don't come into practice quite as much.

Weasyl
    Flareon13
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirahe View Post
    there is a Brush called "Pen" but when I'm talking about the pen tool, it is a different type of Layer tool, here is a Tutorial to what I'm talking about..^^
    http://ninjakato.deviantart.com/art/...-tut-174860907
    Aaaah, I see now. That does look like a nifty tool. Although I can also see why people might also prefer doing it themselves, like if they want to say they did it all on their own, with no tool assistance. My art skills at the moment... well, they suck, but that's due to lack of practice, and lack of motivation to practice. I do like fiddling around with tools, though, so I might have to at least check this out sometime soon.

Weasyl
    zenia
    When I am doodling, I prefer freehanding it. When I am doing my more polished style, I prefer the linework tool.

Weasyl
    Taelune
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiz View Post
    I really hate how pen-tool art looks if people don't vary their line width and tapers while they go along. I prefer doing everything freehand, I have enough practice with my tablet to have control over my lines. I can do my lines super smooth if I want to, but nowadays I usually use my blotchy brush when doing line-art, so smoothness and width don't come into practice quite as much.
    Lol, well for someone like my who tends to have shaky hands from time to time, it is a really big help, but yes I agree people should learn to use a tool properly before putting it in use to affect their renown as an artist. I admit I'm a bit embarrassed about my early years with photoshop when I didn't even know how to use layers.

Quote Originally Posted by Flareon13 View Post
    Aaaah, I see now. That does look like a nifty tool. Although I can also see why people might also prefer doing it themselves, like if they want to say they did it all on their own, with no tool assistance. My art skills at the moment... well, they suck, but that's due to lack of practice, and lack of motivation to practice. I do like fiddling around with tools, though, so I might have to at least check this out sometime soon.
    Yes, it can be helpful, and You're still doing the work yourself, it really has nothing to do with bragging rights unless you'd also be someone that says they can draw a straight line without a ruler. Which in my opinion is ridiculous..;>> It is just another tool of the trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenia View Post
    When I am doodling, I prefer freehanding it. When I am doing my more polished style, I prefer the linework tool.
    That is how I'm starting to feel about it! I'm becoming very comfortable with the Pen/Line Tool, even though it takes longer than free-hand.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Urgh, I could NEVER use the pen tool. I freehand all of my art.

In all of my years of art, even before I got a tablet, I found the pen tool in any program frustrating and confusing. However it was my only option because if I drew by freehand in Photoshop, even with a tablet, my lines would look wobbly and gross. Wobbly and gross lines was not an option for me, as I can sometimes be a perfectionist when it comes to my artwork.

Then I discovered SAI. I worship SAI now. It's also helped my hand become more stable and learn how to do quicker strokes when the stabilizer is lower, so that's a plus. I don't think I'd have continued drawing if SAI or some program with a Stabilizer of sorts wasn't created because I was really close to giving up before then.