Divequest: a digital graphical novel in flash

Some time ago I started making flash-files for a quest on tgchan.org called Divequest.
    For that I go through the chapter, make a choice of important and secondary comments and suggestions to copy them into the flash. Then I add some colours, styles, a menu, table of content and some additionally animations for the different pages... in the end it is meant to be read like a little semi-animated comic^^
    Of course I have asked weaver, the quest's author, for permission.
    Here is the Weasyl-folder: https://www.weasyl.com/submissions?folderid=49065

However, I noticed I don't really get much attention or feedback or... views... here on weasyl... What do you think of it? should I continue uploading the the chapters up to ch6 like I have them on dA?
    http://dediggefedde.deviantart.com/gallery/38497896
    Someday I probably make the other chapters up to the current one (ch. 25)^^

Or maybe you have advices for me?

2.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
    This is pretty neat, I'm having fun going through it. You have to realize the general attention span of people, however. If it's not a plain art image that can be instantly digested, I would bet there's an exponential drop in views and such (so writing, music, multimedia in general). The only exception to this are NSFW flashes from well known modelers. Weasyl is also a budding site, so patience is another key! A lot of people are just getting their galleries kicking and starting to explore, and the site itself is always improving in functionality and smoothness.

Thanks^^
    I took this as motivation to upload the other chapters here as well... maybe working again on ch7 soon...
    After all, weaver is continuing his quest (Ch21 or something) currently, too^^

Well, yes, usually I wouldn't mind for not getting much feedback, but I was irritated that there were so few View-counts (1-3).
    I mean, with a short concentration-span you would click something, see it's too long and leave, but add 1 to the view-count.

It's also kind of hard on this site to get noticed or reach people that may be interested... in Deviantart there are groups, mainly for this purpose... which was also not perfect as you often just got spammed with group-submits...
    Can you give an advice for finding people to watch or how to better get noticed (in a nice way^^) ?

4.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
    Weasyl still has a ways to go before we become a fully featured site, a la established place like Deviantart. More features and tools will come in the future, for sure.

For the next part, I'm going to be pretty blunt. As for right now, you might benefit from creating a more eye-catching artwork cover for your submissions. If we're talking strictly on a level of getting more viewers, I personally probably wouldn't have clicked onto your submissions without prompting from here on the forum. I'm glad I did check your work out, because it's pretty funny, but look at what you're competing with for views!

The best way to get noticed, and we're having a discussion about this in the writing forum right now, is to comment on other's work and to try and subtly redirect others to yours, if they may have an interest. It's a bit of an art, really, but one that needs to be practiced right now because of how this community is set up. Otherwise? Maybe put a link in your signature, spend a little time around the forums and get to know people, etc etc. Just network.

Thanks for the advice^^
    Well, the thumb and the preview are the quest-cover weaver made within the quest...
    I'm not really good at designing and such...
    I may have the items and knowledge to design, but a lack of recognizing a good design^^ As an example, I thought the thumbs were quite appealing^^
    Maybe I should ask others or start a contest... though I can't think of what to offer to the winner...
    Or would it already help to remove the red "FLASH" overlay?

OK, I already try to always comment when I have to say something different than "nice"^^
    The view-count is also rising to something about 10 since then...
    It's not really important, what the statistic says (views/favs/coms/followers) to me, I just find it sad if I upload something that nobody even takes a look at it... or did the view-count measure the swf-views instead of the submission-views?

6.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dediggefedde View Post
    Thanks for the advice^^
    Well, the thumb and the preview are the quest-cover weaver made within the quest...
    I'm not really good at designing and such...
    I may have the items and knowledge to design, but a lack of recognizing a good design^^ As an example, I thought the thumbs were quite appealing^^
    Maybe I should ask others or start a contest... though I can't think of what to offer to the winner...
    Or would it already help to remove the red "FLASH" overlay?

OK, I already try to always comment when I have to say something different than "nice"^^
    The view-count is also rising to something about 10 since then...
    It's not really important, what the statistic says (views/favs/coms/followers) to me, I just find it sad if I upload something that nobody even takes a look at it... or did the view-count measure the swf-views instead of the submission-views?
    Sorry, I seemed to have missed replying here. :s

The thumbnail crops are not nearly as good as they could be; the Chapter 1 has potential, but the rest leave a lot to be desired. It's just, from the thumbnail crop where someone makes a decision, I can't really see it being attractive to the average viewer. It looks like it might just be some doodles or something, not this funny, lengthy flash project that you have going on (funny to anyone who's ever played an RPG or DnD, etc). You can put the fact that it's a flash in much nicer font and specifically design a thumbnail around that. Maybe make a more detailed drawing of the protagonist, not just a simple silhouette. Naturally this is just my opinion, though I do see you removed the "flash" part right now.

Let me put it this way: if you strictly want more views, then you need to attach a different kind of art for the thumbnail. When I post music, I get double or triple the views when I attach a nice art piece to it, but the average if I just do my normal album cover. I can guarantee you some people came into that submission and got disappointed; yeah the view count looks nice in the 50s compared to my normal 10-20, but the comments/favs are the same as any other of my pieces. The extra exposure is inherently nice, but it really doesn't amount to much in the long run. This is why I try and stress to people, do not upload things for the views and such, you're most likely going to be disappointed. Do it for yourself, for your own satisfaction, and if you get comments or views, then that just adds onto the satisfaction you already have. It sucks we don't get the attention we think we deserve, but that's just life (and I'm just saying this in general, not directed at you). You can control some of the factors, at least.

If you want feedback? Then it's a lot more selling yourself. Comment on others and sell yourself, but don't expect them to comment back. That's not how it works, sadly. Ideally it would, but in reality it's not. Sorry for the tough love in my post, it's all with good intentions. I've just been through these same feelings and experiences, so I'm trying to pass on my subjective experiences.

Afaik, the view counter is just for submission-views; we don't have a counter for the amount of plays or downloads (I don't know if this will be a future feature, I could ask).

mmh... yes, I agree with you...
    Still it's a little hard selling yourself without feeling like you promote a vacuum cleaner...
    Maybe I use the search feature more than browse random art...

As for the previews, I haven't drawn them^^
    They a also made by weaver for his quest and of course I have permission to use and publish the flashes and images...
    Maybe I think of something for a preview and fullview-image when I have time again... probably before making the next flash-chapter...
    Although my design-ideas are usually not that appealing^^
    But I have high hopes to have more time again... lectures are mostly finished, I'm almost healthy again and my last bigger update for tgchan_BLICK, a userscript with some nice features for tgchan, was also published yesterday.

I have updated my thumbs now, choosing nicer images from within the story and adding that it's a flash comic.
    I guess it's more appealing now^^

9.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
    These look much nicer now, yeah. See, you've got what it takes. :3 Now we just need to funnel some more views your way somehow, haha. I know selling yourself is kinda difficult and can be awkward on occasion, but it's a good skill to have. Lots of time in your life, you're gonna need to be able to sell yourself and your talents properly!