Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think to be "talented" is nothing more than having a simple knack for something. It's a multiplier, essentially. The hard work will always beat the talent, so having a simple knack for it isn't really enough at the end of the day.

The hard worker will always beat the talented one.

Agreed, I don't believe in talent one bit. It's the skills we choose to work on that make us as good or bad as we are. Someone who is better at observing has practiced that skill just as much as someone who is really good at climbing trees. It has nothing to do with talent.

I would also agree that tracing is a great way to learn. You can get a feel for the lines and how to illustrate details if you trace things. Subtle nuances in the lines and curves are the best way to portray life and energy, which tracing can help you learn. Some people even make an entire art career out of copying other artists exactly. The art world isn't a place for opinions on what is and isn't art because at the first mention of "that's not real art", someone will go ahead and prove that they can make it art.

Weasyl
    wwretched
    I'm not gonna lie, when I do studies of things I first trace them to get a better idea of how the form is supposed to be. Then, I do my own drawing referencing the source. I then put my drawing over the source and sort of re-line it with a different color and then see where I was wrong. Then I draw it again and that result is a lot better than my first one. There's nothing wrong with tracing to learn or to reference, the problem comes in when you're tracing another artist's work or not tracing to learn. Just simply following the outlines will only hinder you--you're not learning the form.

I actually have seen one artist that recommended tracing the basic shapes of a picture you're trying to reference and then fill in the rest. I think that might be a neat solution as well to learn how to do things! There's a lot you can do with tracing, you just have to do it the right way.
    dont even test me i swear to god im going to eat everything in this fucking state

Weasyl
    N/A
    For anyone that says talent doesn't exist, do you also believe that IQ also does not exist?
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.

Talent exists but can be learned. A person who's gifted at something and is lazy is gonna be overtaken by the guy who sucks but works at it. On the other hand, sometimes people are just terrible at something naturally, and learn to enjoy sucking at those things until eventually they're "okay".
    Get a loada this guy here.
    https://twitter.com/DogdongD

Weasyl
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenageAngst View Post
    Talent exists but can be learned. A person who's gifted at something and is lazy is gonna be overtaken by the guy who sucks but works at it. On the other hand, sometimes people are just terrible at something naturally, and learn to enjoy sucking at those things until eventually they're "okay".
    If it's learned then it's not talent :I

Skill is learned. Talent is inherent

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Talent isn't something as measurable as IQ.
    What is mostly being stated isn't that there is a specific talent for art itself. You may have certain abilities, that can be utilized towards how you approach but that still needs to be trained, and given that art isn't linear...or even as specific as an intelligence qoutient
    Last edited by QT Melon; 02-18-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Weasyl
    N/A
    Except it is. There's different types of intelligence that can factor into someone's ability to understand and think creatively. Of course everything needs to be trained. No one is disputing that. Talent only acts as a sort "multiplier" to effort much like IQ does for certain things. It's the reason why some students need math tutors whereas others can simply read and understand. It's the same with artistic talent. Some people just understand what colors would work well even if they don't understand why.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Ok, then do you have tests that show that talent was the exact factor for art?

Art isn't really that linear, maybe you can prove some kind of "talent" for a guy able to copy something to precision, but it can also be argued that it isn't exactly artistic because it isn't considered creative.

Someone is good at cartooning, what can you exactly extract was talent involved?

So can you look at two pieces of artwork from different people and tell me which was talent and which was hard work?

Weasyl
    N/A
    :I

That's like asking someone to do a math problem and trying to garner intelligence from that. That's not how it works.

IQ isn't the only intelligence that people have. There are roughly eight different intelligences according to Howard Gardner's Theory.

Visual/Spatial - Involves visual perception of the environment, the ability to create and manipulate mental images, and the orientation of the body in space.
    Verbal/Linguistic - Involves reading, writing, speaking, and conversing in one's own or foreign languages.
    Logical/Mathematical - Involves number and computing skills, recognizing patterns and relationships, timeliness and order, and the ability to solve different kinds of problems through logic.
    Bodily/Kinesthetic - Involves physical coordination and dexterity, using fine and gross motor skills, and expressing oneself or learning through physical activities.
    Musical - Involves understanding and expressing oneself through music and rhythmic movements or dance, or composing, playing, or conducting music.
    Interpersonal - Involves understanding how to communicate with and understand other people and how to work collaboratively.
    Intrapersonal - Involves understanding one's inner world of emotions and thoughts, and growing in the ability to control them and work with them consciously.
    Naturalist - Involves understanding the natural world of plants and animals, noticing their characteristics, and categorizing them; it generally involves keen observation and the ability to classify other things as well.