Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Weasyl
    QTMelon

Dispelling Artist Myths: Talent and Tracing

I always found some great wisdom in books like Art & Fear, Undressed Art, Why we Draw and from other hard working artists as well.

First of which is when is tracing good or bad. Often you hear artists say "don't trace, it's bad" but don't elaborate on when tracing is ok, and good. There are times when it is acceptable and a good way to learn. http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012...t-tracing.html

The other is about the age old debate of talent. I am in with Manchess' reasoning that talent doesn't really exist. Hard work does. For many that will argue there's people who end up being better than others, so what? I don't recall cavemen being talented on ideas that haven't existed. Thousands of years back was someone talented in playing video games? It was inherent? Why weren't caveman paintings like portraits back in the1400's? We learn and develop through experience and our will. Believing that it is only reserved for certain people is self defeating. http://muddycolors.blogspot.com/2012...ut-talent.html

Some people are better at observing certain things, shapes colours etc, however that is is all useless unless you concentrate on building on it. When you dont have those things... You learn it.
    Its like muscles if you ask me,
    Something to think about

3.   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
    I'm actually part of the group that believes some people have innate talents that need to be developed.

Weasyl
    MedicalMeccanica
    I honestly do believe that talent is a thing - yes, hard work will get you further than anyone else, but from personal experience... well, my spatial reasoning isn't so good. I have a lot of difficulty seeing 2-d images as 3d. it's very difficult for me to work from references even if I'm very directly copying them. I don't know if you'd call that a lack of talent, but it does make learning things like anatomy and perspective harder for me to learn than most people. Maybe "talent" is the wrong word. Some people have more of less difficulty in certain aspects of art because of how our brains work. (I have autism, so maybe I'm not the prime example - though I have heard from several other pixel artists on the autism spectrum that they find pixel art easier because it's more "rigid" in nature.)

100% agree on tracing being helpful for learning, as long as it's used as a learning exercise and not theft.

Weasyl
    Hewge
    Chances are if you ask a "talented" person how long they been drawing, pretty much all of them will say something like "I don't know, I think since I was just a kid?"
    So, yeah. Even if it was never serious for them, the time spent was always there for them. So it ends up seeming like "Ermahgerd! Such talent!" When they actually become more serious about the draws.

To be honest, in my opinion, the only thing that would relate most to talent is maybe people that are just more naturally intuitive, or something. Easier to figure things some things out.

Weasyl
    QTMelon
    Quote Originally Posted by Medical Meccanica View Post
    I honestly do believe that talent is a thing - yes, hard work will get you further than anyone else, but from personal experience... well, my spatial reasoning isn't so good. I have a lot of difficulty seeing 2-d images as 3d. it's very difficult for me to work from references even if I'm very directly copying them. I don't know if you'd call that a lack of talent, but it does make learning things like anatomy and perspective harder for me to learn than most people. Maybe "talent" is the wrong word. Some people have more of less difficulty in certain aspects of art because of how our brains work. (I have autism, so maybe I'm not the prime example - though I have heard from several other pixel artists on the autism spectrum that they find pixel art easier because it's more "rigid" in nature.)
    There is a person who is using his eyeballs to draw because he has ALS. So would being disabled mean that other people are more talented?

Weasyl
    Zeitzbach
    Talents don't exist. Hard work does. It's true.

Some people were considered to be talented because they were exposed to said topic in the early stage of their birth. How exactly do you become so fluent in speaking 7-8 languages like it's nothing? Talent? Nah. Just make sure your uncle aunt blah blah speak their language in their right accent around you since when you were a kid. If it sticks on to you, it's much easier to recall than trying to learn when your body is trying its best to just get used to what it is capable of, and the sleep schedule.

Same goes for art. If the parents support you to draw and shit ever since you were a child, of course you're going to do well in the future if you keep at it and never stop learning.

And yeh, tracing is good as long as you avoid using it for everything. Trace is good for learning but after that, you should just stick to eye referencing at most, IMO.

Those who have it a little easier are the ones that are described as "talented". Time and effort are the great equalizer, but I'd be hard pressed to say that talent (aptitude) is not a thing that exists. Because no one starts on the same level.

I've been drawing since before I can remember and was always encouraged to engage with my creative urges, but I'm only a middling artist at best. It'll take me much longer to reach a high level of art like someone who has the intuition for it. It doesn't make me feel bad to say that I lack something that other better artists have.

I suppose a simpler way to say what I think, is talent is only a head start in the grand scheme of things.
    Fish heads! Fish heads! Rolly polly fish heads! Fish heads! Fish heads! Eat them up! Yum!

Weasyl
    Infestissumam
    stepping on the crowtche owf your americain presidaint
    I once had to get my talent back from aliens by playing an intergalactic game of basketball. Yes. That's why I haven't posted anything in weeks.

I don't think tracing is ever really bad. If an "artist" spends their time tracing things, chances are it'll be a sloppier recreation of whatever you drew. They are only hurting themselves, too. It isn't as if they can develop drawing skills if they constantly trace. It's just wasting their time.

As far as talent goes, I guess it depends on how intuitive a person is with certain things. But no one will be good right off the bat. Being bad at something is the first step to being good at it.

Weasyl
    N/A
    I think people are getting the wrong ideas of "talent". Talent doesn't mean "pick up a pencil and instant artist" any more than starting anything else. It just means that they understand faster than someone else. It's simply how fast they are able to pick it up and/or how much learning they put in to it to get the same result.
    We all have our demons. If we're not fighting them, then we've befriended them.